Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
On 11/02/2021 at 10:32, KNP said:

To conclude the pep pipe saga or PPS as its known in the trade here is a close up.

3380.jpg.159c3c8fc45a84a56ad2cb435c07cdb2.jpg

Looking at that wagon I realised it was over 35 years old and I got it when I worked for Whitbreads and based in Cheltenham and of course a regular trip, when in the office, was to walk down to model shop.

I am still using stuff brought from there to this day.......!

Was it still called 'The Modellers' Den' in those days? I vividly remember the smell of brewing in Cheltenham town centre in my schooldays.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

May I ask how you achieved the splendid shiny brass finish on the ejector gear on the footplate of 8701 - it’s not something I’ve seen on a model before.

I'll get back to you on this one once I remember what I did!!!!!

Loco packed away at the moment so I will get it out of storage later and have a look to remind myself.......

• Like 3

I try to look at the trains, but get lost in the details such as the home spun ballast bin at the foot of the platform ramp. I like the steel sprags knocked in to stop it moving. That kind of attention to detail really does make a huge difference.

• Like 1
  • Agree 11
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Not easy to pull off as good as yours Kev. Here's a prototype shot of one in use.

1771820684_gwrcabsheet.jpg.9601e2c9f3846f1d0b798332ca310b0f.jpg

Thanks.

This is the best picture I’ve seen of one in use.

The biggest problem I had was sticking it to the underside which I did first with the loco upside down. Had to glue, bend around the curve keeping it square, then to play safe left it overnight to cure.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, KNP said:

Thanks.

This is the best picture I’ve seen of one in use.

The biggest problem I had was sticking it to the underside which I did first with the loco upside down. Had to glue, bend around the curve keeping it square, then to play safe left it overnight to cure.

What's worse is when your firing having stood in the pouring rain at a station stop and start too move off to get a neck full as it runs off the middle of the sheet... onto the footplate

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, KNP said:

Going off onto another tangent the Bachmann Earl class loco comes with a loco tool set.

Very nice it is to and I have been trying to see if they sell it as a separate accessory.

Does anyone know if they do as I am having no luck?

3390.jpg.16f7ce14e7044f3dd2c134d2a3cebfc8.jpg

For of those of you interested the cab awning was made out of a section of a bin liner super glued to the roof.

Started by cutting the liner to size then gluing to the underside of the roof first so I could fold/crease it around the cab edging...

Getting the folds to look right was a bit of a challenge as you only had one shot before the glue went off.

The wire is rigging thread with a small piece of the plastic insulation from some telephone cable to form a tensioner, had to form a pointed end to the thread with glue so I could feed through the centre of the tube.

Might add one to the Dean Goods as well....

I have to say its not something I see modelled much.

That looks great @KNP very convincing. Can I send a few locos over to you :-)

4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Not easy to pull off as good as yours Kev. Here's a prototype shot of one in use.

1771820684_gwrcabsheet.jpg.9601e2c9f3846f1d0b798332ca310b0f.jpg

Thanks @gwrrob- not only do you rarely see it modelled, you rarely see them deployed. Of course that might be because the majority of tenders will provide better shelter.

What are the details of the loco and station? GWSR and Earl of Berkeley? 

Thanks again for both.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1