Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
On 02/02/2021 at 14:57, KNP said:

All the odds and ends for 7768 now added and the crewless loco waits in the bay platform for..........no idea as it is just sitting there at the moment.

I have to say that I have not used Dart Casting brass loco tools before but was very impressed with the end result, so much so that I have just ordered 4 more sets and will start to replace the rather oversized white metal ones I've used in the past.

Pep pipe added and it appears to have leaked down the side as well!

So I now have a top feedless Pannier which turned out easier to do than I first envisaged, so long as you took it steady and carefully that is, I might even convert my other two so they are correct for this era.

3366.jpg.12849e32aeba7d9495d16dbc5e1b97c7.jpg

Looks so much better, the spare shovel is spot on, I got told off for doing that once on the SDR when coaling up as it would scratch the paint !

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 5

You would probably be told off for it nowadays because the risk assessment had calculated the chances of the shovel falling off and removing someone's head. 

It also reminds me of turning up at Rothley one Sunday morning when I was about 15, to help out the track gang, only to be told they were clearing trees up at Quorn for the bridge dept. I got a cab ride and my bicycle was unceremoniously heaved on top of the tender. I don't think it scratched much of Witherslack Hall's coal...

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You would probably be told off for it nowadays because the risk assessment had calculated the chances of the shovel falling off and removing someone's head. 

It also reminds me of turning up at Rothley one Sunday morning when I was about 15, to help out the track gang, only to be told they were clearing trees up at Quorn for the bridge dept. I got a cab ride and my bicycle was unceremoniously heaved on top of the tender. I don't think it scratched much of Witherslack Hall's coal...

Talking of which... I remember as a 16 year old chucking out the fire on 4588 at Paignton one lovely Summer everning in 1975 and while in full swing dumped the lot on top of a gricer with camara who had come over the running lines and stood on the steps the firemans side over the fire I had already chucked out... what on earth he thought he was doing I have no idea as I told him in no uncertain terms to "go away" or something like that.... never heard any more...

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, KNP said:

This new phone of mine has a wide angle setting for the camera, referred to as 0.5x, so standing at each side of the room.

Here is all of Little Muddle in three pictures.

P1.jpg.76b2ba9a946f440bc65dea4170e83a8b.jpg

P2.jpg.727a0472aec60ff962fce25638f12314.jpg

P3.jpg.1f77a93a44f7324957206cc0c672d15b.jpg

Now you can position everything!

Top drawer. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Fire irons added, decided to add pep pipes to only 2 off them as in all the pictures I looked at some did not have one.

Could change, depends on which way the wind blows!!

IMG_2875.jpg.20ec246ab62462ffb45c7e9cf09c855e.jpg

IMG_2876.jpg.209f3c46100c92cd67be23e41c0dcfab.jpg

IMG_2877.jpg.4075f7aeab5d4936054c7bed03e4b873.jpg

And I found a bucket so can you guess which one I added it do?

Picking up on another difference, I'm going to show my ignorance, again.

Centre pic, is the spare lamp the right way round? I'm not sure, but I thought they were supposed

to be facing the boiler, so as to not show  a light if lit. Did I dream that, or is it really something I've

read.

This is asked on a need to know basis, as I've nearly finished my \Lima/\mainline 94XX mash up.

I look forward to the discussion.

TONY

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Picking up on another difference, I'm going to show my ignorance, again.

Centre pic, is the spare lamp the right way round? I'm not sure, but I thought they were supposed

to be facing the boiler, so as to not show  a light if lit. Did I dream that, or is it really something I've

read.

This is asked on a need to know basis, as I've nearly finished my \Lima/\mainline 94XX mash up.

I look forward to the discussion.

TONY

A quick flick through a couple of photo albums suggests that it was random, Tony. I can't find anything in the General Appendix about it either.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

In answer to the question about the direction the spare lamp where stored was....well it seems....random.

My go to for Pannier pictures is the numerous volumes of the Pannier Papers and this case I just looked at No 4 as it was first out the bookcase.

As an example these are noted in various pictures.

Page 3 - facing in

Page 6 - facing out (x2)

Page 16 - facing in

Page 17 - facing out

I do try to double check these things and most of what I do is backed up by some picture or other.

A good question nevertheless and one I ran into some time ago when I posted a picture of my Mogul and its spare lamp facing backwards....it caused a few comments then to.

A reminder

2501.jpg.94e013ab400510fef42a99b6f395aa23.jpg

Now that was done like that as it was how the slot was moulded on the Modelu lamp...

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

10 minutes ago, KNP said:

In answer to the question about the direction the spare lamp where stored was....well it seems....random.

My go to for Pannier pictures is the numerous volumes of the Pannier Papers and this case I just looked at No 4 as it was first out the bookcase.

Page 3 - facing in

Page 6 - facing out (x2)

Page 16 - facing in

Page 17 - facing out

I do try to double check these things and most of what I do is backed up by some picture or other.

A good question nevertheless and one I ran into some time ago when I posted a picture of my Mogul and its spare lamp facing backwards....it caused a few comments then to.

A reminder

2501.jpg.31bdfb6352843ddbb1f7d3fde6141d97.jpg

Now that was done as it was how the slot done on the Modelu lamp...

And how the Mogul's lamp bracket was modelled ? 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, KNP said:

Page 3 - facing in

Page 6 - facing out (x2)

Page 16 - facing in

Page 17 - facing out

A reminder

2501.jpg.31bdfb6352843ddbb1f7d3fde6141d97.jpg

Now that was done as it was how the slot done on the Modelu lamp...

Now I think this poses a bigger question.

How did you do that? As (again IIRC) GW brackets were set at 90 deg to inferior railways.

So couldn't be set front or back. So were you using lamps purloined from up country?

(Of course I could just be digging myself into a bigger hole).

TONY

• Agree 2

As far as I know the GWR lamps had fixings on either side of the lamp so you could swing the lamp around to face inwards.

P1070557.JPG.456cf91723d6e340464ad7d808568839.JPG

I think my Mogul is wrong, the brackets (which I fitted) appear correct but the slot in the lamp is wrong.

• Friendly/supportive 5

To clarify I believe GW lamps had slots either side of lamp, and therefore bracket was to the side.

Others had slot to rear and lamp sat in front of bracket.

I'm prety sure this was explained to me by a bloke demonstrating the soldering up of a lamp at

one of the last Swindon open days. Brilliant to watch a 12":Ft being put together.

TONY

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

To clarify I believe GW lamps had slots either side of lamp, and therefore bracket was to the side.

Others had slot to rear and lamp sat in front of bracket.

I'm prety sure this was explained to me by a bloke demonstrating the soldering up of a lamp at

one of the last Swindon open days. Brilliant to watch a 12":Ft being put together.

TONY

Also note GWR /WR lamps are sqaure in shape, LNER and SR are round and almost identical but the position of the handle is set at different postion... with the bracket slot on the rear of the body

• Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, KNP said:

Page 3 - facing in

Page 6 - facing out (x2)

Page 16 - facing in

Page 17 - facing out

In, out, in, out turn it all about.......:jester:

• Agree 2
  • Funny 6

14 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Centre pic, is the spare lamp the right way round? I'm not sure, but I thought they were supposed to be facing the boiler, so as to not show  a light if lit. Did I dream that, or is it really something I've read.

12 hours ago, KNP said:

Yes, they should face the boiler (or inwards), but as you have discovered it is random, I would suggest lazy crew I'm afraid.

12 hours ago, KNP said:

Sorry Kevin, generally this would be impossible, the GWR/BR(W) lamps have a slot on each side, the spare lamp brackets are generally set sideways, so the lamps would only be able to face in or out. That doesn't mean that a particular loco wasn't built with the brackets wrong! :o

• Like 6

4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Bryan, did you find an official source for that?

Afraid not, just picked up from training for footplate work at Didcot in the 80's, it was generally handed down. Would be interesting to see if it were in a rule book somewhere.

Edited by gz3xzf
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, gz3xzf said:

Afraid not, just picked up from training for footplate work at Didcot in the 80's, it was generally handed down. Would be interesting to see if it were in a rule book somewhere.

Thanks - I haven't found anything either (yet)!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1