Little Muddle

KNP

24 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You CAN eat crickets. Taste better than town pigeon. Though I would recommend town pigeon over seagull. They really are disgusting.

Pigeon has an unusual flavour. Are you speaking from personal experience with the seagull?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Wood pigeon is fine. Just cut out the breast meat, drop in plastic bag, throw the rest back for the scavengers. They need to eat too. 

Seagull, good ol' survival training. If you get some dark meat from the scuzziest possible fried chicken place, then fry it again in fish oil that has been slightly burnt, you might be close to seagull.

A friend of mine has eaten Civet cat and is adamant that it's worse than seagull. I can only imagine that would be like eating a fox.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Lovely photos of the Dukedog Kevin thank you.

Last night I finished reading the loco profile book of the dukedogs “Small wheel double framed 4-4-0” by Pen and Sword. Fascinating history and some great photos.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Okay, do elaborate.

It was an attempt at humour, but seems to have failed. It was intended to illustrate a knowledge of eating foxes, but that is something I have never done so have no authority on the subject.

I promise to try harder next time. I should probably make an observation about Kevin's models, not that that would be something to laugh about.

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

As we seem to have arrived on the subject of foxes.

Our daughters farm has recently been inundated with foxes. They are to be seen at all

times of the day and night,  are in and out of the cattle sheds and barns, and are

not timorous in any way.

Of course they also pose a constant threat to the chickens, and geese, and are disruptive.

This situation has arrsen before, and after the event was found to be down to some "do gooders"

from one of the greater areas cities / large towns, having rounded up the "excess" population, and

transported them to the country, and freedom.

Trouble is they are set in their ways, and not at all fearful of "man", so don't disperse and fend

for themselves.

However the farming community is equally set in their ways......... and the current score is about 6-0.

So Kevin I advise against taking pity on any fox you stumble across, and relocating it to LM.

TONY

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Have not seen a fox in the last couple of years.

We have pastures behind our rear fence and I used to see a rather shabby looking vixen most mornings returning to her den  under a bramble clump about 60 yards from my garden.

We do have Badgers nearby but I don't know if they would be edible and AFAIK there has been no suggestion that the should be culled. 

Some of the young beef stock in the fields does look ready for market.......and our freezer is nearly empty.......

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Mick Bonwick said:

It was an attempt at humour, but seems to have failed. It was intended to illustrate a knowledge of eating foxes, but that is something I have never done so have no authority on the subject.

I promise to try harder next time. I should probably make an observation about Kevin's models, not that that would be something to laugh about.

Damn. I was hoping that you could tell us just how grim Civet cat tastes and whether or not it is potentially as unpalatable as fox. :D

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, Mulgabill said:

Our daughters farm has recently been inundated with foxes. They are to be seen at all

times of the day and night,  are in and out of the cattle sheds and barns, and are

not timorous in any way.

Of course they also pose a constant threat to the chickens, and geese, and are disruptive.

This situation has arrsen before, and after the event was found to be down to some "do gooders"

from one of the greater areas cities / large towns, having rounded up the "excess" population, and

Trouble is they are set in their ways, and not at all fearful of "man", so don't disperse and fend

for themselves.

However the farming community is equally set in their ways......... and the current score is about 6-0.

So Kevin I advise against taking pity on any fox you stumble across, and relocating it to LM.

TONY

You are quite right Tony, relocated town foxes are a menace as they have no idea how to hunt and no fear of man. The only thing that you can do is shoot them because all they know is raiding dustbins or attacking caged animals. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, KNP said:

Sitting, coaled, ready for the off once the brass cab side number arrives!

The Earl of Cawdor, or what is now referred to as 3203, a 4-4-0 outside frame loco made by Bachmann and fully DCC operational - in fact I would go as far to say its the best runner I have.

Nickname the Dukedog but known as the Earl Class it was rebuilt by the GWR using the boiler from the Duke class and the frames from the Bulldog class, 30 of these where reconstructed between 1936 -39.

A lovely hybrid loco for LM which will be seen for years to come.

Complete repaint, real coal added, crew in attendance and with the addition of a stored canvas cover on the roof complete with tensioners it was obtained a while ago off a well known auction site but work was slow as I decided to finish a few other projects before commencing another one.

I officially introduce 3203 though you have seen the odd snippets where people questioned why didn't I see the loco......

3370.jpg.872df35d35600e5f6ac2118770dbe34c.jpg

DD5.jpg.e42b2759e3a95fcad0b77b00e23e426f.jpg

DD6.jpg.2e96f582dc9eea829d8b560b45455385.jpg

I have left the old number ghosting through the new paint so it is easier to line up the new plates - in case you where wondering. 

And still the door layeth, and the men thinketh, and the wind will bloweth when the snow cometh. 

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

not timorous in any way.

for themselves.

TONY

I remember seeing a herd of cows chase a fox across a field between Avonwick and Totnes once... the cows went hanging around either..

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, vulcanbomber said:

We had one as bold as brass on our patio last year, in the middle of town.

Not really on topic, but I must record this somewhere!  My old mother passed on a couple of weeks ago, just short of her 96th birthday. With the restrictions and all that we had a simple grave side service with just a few of the younger family members.  As the service finished, a very fit looking fox walked slowly up and sat down on the grass, not 20 feet from us. One of those moments that no one there will ever forget...!

• Friendly/supportive 15