Little Muddle

KNP

51 minutes ago, KNP said:

And the wagons made it into the yard.......

Exciting isn't it?

3911.jpg.eddccb89896a20e182fb8c1ebe755420.jpg

Wow this is a bit of a record for LM. Do we need to report it to some one just in case and more to the point should we be worried. Is LM being dragged into the 20 th century.

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning Kevin. I would have thought LM was the type of place that would have had a cattle dock.

My understanding is that it would be placed in an area where locos don’t pass very often / if at all.

I would say it’s going to be hard to add it as a feature at this stage, without changing part of the layout. Or at least, not easy to get it included in a prototypical manner.

If you moved the goods shed a little to the left, could the dock go beyond there at the end of the road?

Or just accept there is not a cattle dock!

Good luck with wherever you choose.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I would have thought the requirement for  cattle dock would depend on the proposed amount of traffic.  If of sufficient quantity then a cattle dock would be provided, but if the traffic was of a more intermittent nature then the use of the the temporary pens on the platform, using the loading ramp, or a portable, wheeled ramp would seem more likely.  The advantage of the wheeled ramp is that livestock can be loaded at nearly any spot in the yard, especially if other goods wagons are occupying the other positions.  A moveable ramp would also make a nice little cameo model in it's own right!

Roja

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

26 minutes ago, 37Oban said:

A moveable ramp would also make a nice little cameo model in it's own right!

My thoughts as well, then there would be very little disturbance and an occasional visit from a cattle van when required to LM.

p.s. on the plus side there won't be too much muck to brush up either ! 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I've never come across a removable ramp for loading/unloading cattle and as the animals have a mind of their own about which way to go it would in any case have to be so substantial it would be difficult to move.   If movements of animals were fairly limited then some temporary fencing on the platform would no doubt be used although the staff might not be keen on teh work that comes after the cattle have passed that way but any sort of regular traffic and there would be pens - constructed using very stout timber or even - in some cases - old rail (yes, they did need to be substantial ;) ).

Basically I think you could almost put one anywhere on a siding which has railway track on one side and room to parka road vehicle on the other side of the dock.  At our local branch junction - which had two goods yards! - the cattle pens were on the branch platform run-round loop so not even in the either of the goods yards. So look for a suitable bit of siding on that basis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, KNP said:

Been working on some possibilities regarding the cattle dock.

Originally Shipton-on-Stour had one by the grounded van but I had to omit it as the siding was truncated so it could fit on the layout within the room.

So with a fresh set of eyes and the subject back on the agenda …… again, let’s have another go.

First picture has the cattle wagon, just a single, where it can either unload on the main platform using using portable barriers

or

Add a gate to the side of the loading dock and then off down the ramp.

BE2D450D-EBD1-4C54-BE25-A80AB1541E07.jpeg.87a79b1ba4cef31ae5fd888c20042a0f.jpeg

Simple one to do

You could also slightly extend the yard siding where the van is standing as a possible alternative?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, KNP said:

Second thought build a small cattle dock based on one I found in my GW Architecture book at Gilfach Station, mine would be handed.

Move the grounded van to the other side of the goods shed.

85B485B6-7748-4991-94A1-538D7EBB4ACB.jpeg.e753508df284586b24d2f6141f7de5a5.jpeg

4EE48806-B814-460E-8687-57F60748004D.jpeg.4ce7ff185075ba539273794dbfcd88f1.jpeg

Liking this one.

Portable ramp I think is in reserve.

Nothing like so good as your first suggestion as it 'steals' more siding space which would otherwise be used for dealing with full loads traffic and moving wagons through the goods shed

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

That must be one hell of an interesting newspaper article that fellow in the truck is reading - has not looked up at all!

Edited by Bogie
typo
  • Funny 7

12 minutes ago, Bogie said:

That must be one hell of an interesting newspaper article that fellow in the truck is reading - has not looked up at all!

Perhaps he’s reading the plans for the area?

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

48 minutes ago, KNP said:

Been working on some possibilities regarding the cattle dock.

Originally Shipton-on-Stour had one by the grounded van but I had to omit it as the siding was truncated so it could fit on the layout within the room.

So with a fresh set of eyes and the subject back on the agenda …… again, let’s have another go.

First picture has the cattle wagon, just a single, where it can either unload on the main platform using using portable barriers

or

Add a gate to the side of the loading dock and then off down the ramp.

BE2D450D-EBD1-4C54-BE25-A80AB1541E07.jpeg.87a79b1ba4cef31ae5fd888c20042a0f.jpeg

Simple one to do

That looks spot on to me Kevin.:good:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, KNP said:

Second thought build a small cattle dock based on one I found in my GW Architecture book at Gilfach Station, mine would be handed.

Move the grounded van to the other side of the goods shed.

85B485B6-7748-4991-94A1-538D7EBB4ACB.jpeg.e753508df284586b24d2f6141f7de5a5.jpeg

4EE48806-B814-460E-8687-57F60748004D.jpeg.4ce7ff185075ba539273794dbfcd88f1.jpeg

Liking this one.

Portable ramp I think is in reserve.

Naa. :nono:

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Bogie said:

You beat me to it!

My comment was more like “blimey that fella got onto the back of the van with his paper quickly”

• Funny 5

Funny but I did some research on this I thought I was on safe ground!

The Peco instructions say this is a post 1936 set up with my GWR wagon book showing a picture Plate 579 of a Beetle credited to 1937 but no box around the XP.

I suspect this whole area of what carried what, when is very grey and unclear, I think for now I will leave but sort out the transfer that hasn’t sunk into the groove.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 2

Hi,

before committing yourself, have a look at Broom Junction, EM layout.  There's a model of a portable cattle loading ramp there.  I'm pretty sure I've seen others as well.  When I get a few minutes I mat have a trawl of t'interweb!

Roja

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1