Little Muddle

KNP

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Or school playground . . .

except that this is the 30s and food debris in the playground was probably 30+ years in the future!

Paul.

Didn't they go inland to follow the plough? I seem to remember that from the Ladybird Book of Farming or some such.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, KNP said:

Peaceful day down in the harbour....

3890.jpg.215eedf483157d0ecaea1391d95d1a9f.jpg

The squadron leader doing a bit of strafing practice I see.

Nothing like the smell of naplam first thing in the morning.

Rides of into the distance with the sounds of Wagner disturbing the sleepiness of LM

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KNP said:

Peaceful day down in the harbour....

3890.jpg.215eedf483157d0ecaea1391d95d1a9f.jpg

Lovely photo but...

It looks like the local ruffians have been hard at work and have cast off all the mooring lines. Slightly concerned that the returning tide will see the vessel drifting away. 

This one seems safe...

IMG_20211019_115458.jpg.60ee656d24beb603adead0bc4c132206.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Lovely photo but...

It looks like the local ruffians have been hard at work and have cast off all the mooring lines. Slightly concerned that the returning tide will see the vessel drifting away. 

This one seems safe...

Thanks.

Lydia Eva is what Misty was loosely based on

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Didn't they go inland to follow the plough? I seem to remember that from the Ladybird Book of Farming or some such.

I think the book needs an update  - they go inland to the chip shop, (other fast food retailers are available).  

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Lovely photo but...

This one seems safe...

Are you the bearded face of fish, Captain Birdseye?

PSX_20211113_113121.jpg.2ae4892a51f7e4636db2b831c49a604c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, KNP said:

7750 now being weathered, a bit slow this process as I tend to use washes so I have to wait quite a while, normally overnight, for that days application to dry to see how its worked and if I need to add anymore. To early and you can reactivate the previous application.....

Bit more to go

3891.jpg.b80d9cfd2eaaeaeaeb36dc32d1004f77.jpg

3892.jpg.899d8964b3eb35a46d5fa7d65069b425.jpg

Patience is a virtue.

I was going to add "my son" and then I thought - no KNP has to be older than me as he is modelling the 1930's whereas I model the 1940's. 

• Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
On 12/11/2021 at 12:05, Oldddudders said:

Bob Urie, sometime Asst GM on the Eastern Region, came to join us in BR Projects in the mid-90s, and his grandfather had certainly designed a loco or two! And ISTR RCA Nicholls, a WR trainee in my year whom the SM probably knew, was descended from a senior luminary on the GWR.

And in a recent BRM, Nick Palette, a rather talented modeller of all sorts of prototypes, revealed that he came from good railway stock - father John was GM of the Southern 40 years ago. 

Coincidentally my Secretary/Team Organiser at my final big railway job had in a previous post been Bob Urie's secretary.   I knew Charles Nicholls quite well although I haven't seen hm for many years, he was from a whole family of Nicholls on the GWR - one had been DOS at Gloucester at some time (I think that was his grandfather) while another was in WR RHQ Staff Office.

John Palette was an excellent chap - I met him (but didn't work for him) when he was in an RHQ job and he subsequently became DM at Bristol - I've idea from something I've read that he might have started as a clerk at Pangbourne.  His older brother Len was a very nice chap and probably a bit too nice as he took early retirement following the discovery of considerable booking office financial 'problems' at Slough where he was AM (not that he was in any way involved but nothing had happened during his period of management to deal with what was suspected to be going on).

Back to Little Muddle

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Benbow said:

At Lyme Regis for filming I believe. Couldn't move for film crew when we were there early October.

It was somewhat bracing when we were there in mid October - not a camera crew to be seen.

IMG_20211019_105641.jpg.fa4d7a1e5b9afa0d3f031492c9135b47.jpg

• Like 9
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Some how the Monochrome makes the picture more relaxing to look at. Wonderful Kevin.:good:

Thanks

I think what also makes this so is that I have sharpened the contrast and pulled the shadows up a bit.

Then I have deliberately only used the in-focus frames of the loco and left the rest out of focus.

• Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
On 13/11/2021 at 07:51, KNP said:

My plan was to have her fully moored but as the harbour is on the edge of the layout and I lean over it to get to the back of the layout I felt I would damage the rigging so both her and Snowflake live on a shelf and only come down onto layout for photo's.

Also the door handle is just the right height to hit the hull if it gets opened to far and the temporary door stop isn't there so that another reason not to have anything permanently moored.....

I was going to ask whether the boats get in the way when coupling and uncoupling? And I was wondering how your grandchildren get on whilst reaching over them?

I'm hoping to feature a harbour on my next layout. And I'm just starting on the first piece of the puzzle. A 52 foot stern trawler. This will be my first scratch build boat from plans that arrived yesterday. Exciting and scary at the same time. It will be a freelance layout. Pure fiction with lots of rule one included. Based on Brixham harbour, where I spent all my summer holidays growing up. And also learnt oil painting, watching all the many artists painting plein air.

I'm going to model the harbour at low tide, so all the vessels will be beached.

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, Gedward said:

I was going to ask whether the boats get in the way when coupling and uncoupling? And I was wondering how your grandchildren get on whilst reaching over them?

I'm hoping to feature a harbour on my next layout. And I'm just starting on the first piece of the puzzle. A 52 foot stern trawler. This will be my first scratch build boat from plans that arrived yesterday. Exciting and scary at the same time. It will be a freelance layout. Pure fiction with lots of rule one included. Based on Brixham harbour, where I spent all my summer holidays growing up. And also learnt oil painting, watching all the many artists painting plein air.

I'm going to model the harbour at low tide, so all the vessels will be beached.

I've got one of these for my Muddy Estuary.

IMG_6020.JPG.83d89158d4de08db91fd401d36f933db.JPG

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Neal Ball said:

The Beetle does make up into a nice van...

Although the steps are very vulnerable and might be better if replaced with metal especially their stanchions.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6