RMweb

Cardboard baseboard

I recently purchased some Ikea display cabinets and they came packaged with some very sturdy 20mm strengthened cardboard, they looked like they may be useful as a couple of pieces were quite large and they were put to one side. Later armed with glue gun I set to work building a small baseboard was planning to build a small motive power depot, after a few hours of cutting and glueing this is what I came up with. Let me know what you think and I plan to update my progress as and when time permits.

There is no reason why cardboard wouldn't be up to the job,

so long as you seal it against it getting damp.

I used plain card (because I was told it wouldn't work!) and

it was strengthened with cardboard angle and 'U' sections

(from appliance packaging) it was then sealed it with Shellac

and floor sealer (for wood floors).

Much to much to my amazement, it has now done quite a

few exhibitions, over a period of about 5 years.

It is approx. 6' 6" x 1' 4", and is really light/easy to handle. 

• Like 3

You can buy it in 8 by 4 sheets, or larger, in various grades/thickness. Often used for display/printed signage in shops. I bought some sheets about 8 years ago, it came packed in two thicker sheets. You can get clip on plastic or wooden edging. I guess it would be OK for a quick job, but no use long term in a damp shed. Most things will need gluing to it, doesn't directly take screws.

The best cardboard for this is tripple of even quadruple corrugated. I was working in a local recycling unit a few years ago, and we used to get this cardboiard from engineering compnies. I think some mobility scooters were also delivered in boxes made from it. It was very sturdy, and I found a better use for it than it just being shredded for animal bedding. You had to be careful when cutting it as it was as good quality as some fine paper and you could easily get a paper cut.

It is worth while checking out some companies, as they may be having to pay someone to take it away. Car dealerships and garages may get parts delivered in them.

Also have a look at the fruit and veg cardboard boxes in your local supermarket. They are surprisingly strong, but check for warped bottoms!

• RMweb Premium

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/60731-the-100-project-a-complete-layout-build-described-in-9-days

This might be worth a read if you are fairly new to the forum... Although I can't believe it was way back in 2012. I found it very inspirational at the time and still read it back now and again.

It shows what can be down with a cardboard base board

Owen

After a bit more glueing this is my progress so far, even managed to get some track put down only as a test fit though. The cardboard needs to be sealed before I do that. Going to control the points with wire in tube method. Just need to find one of the Bachman single road loco servicing sheds, so if anybody has one going spare. Will upload some more photos tomorrow.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some fruit box bases I knocked up in late 2008 have stood the test of time so far. The only bad point I found from my own experimentation, so passed on as a tip, is not to use the plastic sheet that gets used for posters, For Sale signs etc., as a topping (I think it is called Corex). It seemed like a good idea when I tried using some I'd been given, and was fine for a while, but eventually most of the glue failed to hold. Also the paint (?) on one section which had been used as a printed event poster stayed stuck to the card (No More Nails holding it fast) but was lifting off the Corex.

The other failure arising over time has been with foam board and the outer skin peeling off the inner foam so a warning on longevity on that as medium also passed on if the items are to be handled. The job - some 1:1 scale replica SLS Tour headboards for displays; even just un-velcroing from the stand has weakened them .

Simon D (rue-d-etropal) who posted above has used cardboard scrap quite a lot as a construction medium on his layouts and it was reading up on his use of card and fruit boxes on another forum a few years back that gave me the idea to try my own experiments.

Edited by john new

Another free source of good quality heavy cardboard in largish sheets is bicycle boxes. I don't know about the UK, but here in Oz they can be found in their dozens in the bins behind any bicycle shop after the weekend rush of customers collecting their new steeds. Also handy if you need to pack your  bike for flying or other transport.

• Like 1

As John says, I have been playing with cardboard for years.Having done a spell in a cardboard recycling/shredding operation, I know how many different varieties there are. Also all businesses have to pay to have it recycled, so should be happy to give  some to anyone who asks, especially shops.

The cardboard fruitboxes are excellent, just make sure you get ones with flat bottoms!

I use a mixture of glues, from PVA(not necessarily the best), some eco friendly Gloy type paper glue, 'Hard as Nails' and cheap liquid superglue.

For ballast I have been using the wood filler from Wilinsons(it is non solvent), as it is rough track, but was intending to use normal ballast, but fixing the track to thin cardboard first, then ballasting it, so it does not warp the corrugated cardboard. This ballasted trackcould then be superglued onto the base.

I now am building layouts in boxfiles(on the cardboard lid), with no problem. I lay the track on a layer of corruhgated cardboard, as I can then feed the wires through it,but remember to put the corrugations in right direction.

Something to remember, is that it has to be transportable, so sections should not be too long. The fruit boxes are a good length. Since I started, I have got involved in 3D print design, and designed track panels, for board/box joint, and you slide rals into them to link the boards. With cardboard, there are not that many ways to join them and keeping the track flat and level.

I am at Manchester DCC exhibition this weekend with my French boxfile layout, as featured in latest copy of Continental Modeller.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

There's no reason why a card baseboard can't be a strong structure if its well designed. 

A few weeks ago I was at Loco-Revue's 80th anniversary Trainsmania exhibition in Lille where they were launching their Train'in Box complete layout kit. This uses pre cut corrugated card (die cut I assume),  to build the layout's 1m x1.1m baseboard (39 x 43 inch) which also forms the basic structure for scenery as well as the trackbase. .

post-6882-0-70948300-1495393719_thumb.jpgpost-6882-0-63283400-1495393741_thumb.jpgpost-6882-0-85850600-1495393759_thumb.jpgpost-6882-0-59200100-1495393788_thumb.jpg

The aim is to bridge the gap between the train set and the "proper" layout so absolutely everything needed to build a first layout using quality products, from track (Peco)  and power unit to  groundcover, trees and buildings (card kits some of which are already in LR Modelisme's catalogue ) and even PVA glue comes in the box.

OK, the results won't exactly be Pempoul - which was a also at Trainsmania-   but the idea is that a beginner or perhaps a family following the instructions will learn the whole range of basic model railway skills.

At the show they had two or three modellers attempting to build layouts  -it comes in four regional options- from opening the box to completed layout using only what was in the box over the two and a half days of the show.  

I was only there on the Friday afternoon and Satuday morning so I don't know if they succeeded by the Sunday close. I'll be folllowing this innovative idea with interest (and looking again at the wine boxes I brought back from France once they're empty (hic!!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There's no reason why a card baseboard can't be a strong structure if its well designed. 

A few weeks ago I was at Loco-Revue's 80th anniversary Trainsmania exhibition in Lille where they were launching their Train'in Box complete layout kit. This uses pre cut corrugated card (die cut I assume),  to build the layout's 1m x1.1m baseboard (39 x 43 inch) which also forms the basic structure for scenery as well as the trackbase. .

attachicon.gifTrain'in Box box.jpgattachicon.gifTrain'in Box 1.jpgattachicon.gifTrain'in Box 2.jpgattachicon.gifTrain'in Box scenic base.jpg

The aim is to bridge the gap between the train set and the "proper" layout so absolutely everything needed to build a first layout using quality products, from track (Peco)  and power unit to  groundcover, trees and buildings (card kits some of which are already in LR Modelisme's catalogue ) and even PVA glue comes in the box.

OK, the results won't exactly be Pempoul - which was a also at Trainsmania-   but the idea is that a beginner or perhaps a family following the instructions will learn the whole range of basic model railway skills.

At the show they had two or three modellers attempting to build layouts  -it comes in four regional options- from opening the box to completed layout using only what was in the box over the two and a half days of the show.  

I was only there on the Friday afternoon and Satuday morning so I don't know if they succeeded by the Sunday close. I'll be folllowing this innovative idea with interest (and looking again at the wine boxes I brought back from France once they're empty (hic!!)

What a brilliant idea.

Hi thindude, had you considered using a glue gun? For a lightweight construction, it is adequate and has the added benefit, of being very quick to harden; without the interminable wait for PVA drying, or the expense of superglue. I think you've found a great idea, particularly for trying out new track plans, or quickie layouts.

Edited by Les le Breton

I absolutely swear by my glue gun for cardboard - it's really quick. It also has a hundred other uses around the house, so it's a worthwhile investment. Just make sure not to touch the glue before it sets or you'll find yourself swearing at it.

my problem with the glue gun, and I remember having one many years ago when they first came out, was running out of glue sticks half way through a job. I prefer a mixture of traditional glues, including liquid superglue.

The Train 'n' box idea has really come on. The simple small circular design is well thought out, and a lot smaller than the traditional trainset 6ft by 4ft. The buildings look like they are laser cut,so better than the card kits I thought they originally showed. Something like this would actually make a good partwork.

It might be interesting to compare the layout base construction with the lightweight plywood open frame boards used now.

The Train 'n' box idea has really come on. The simple small circular design is well thought out, and a lot smaller than the traditional trainset 6ft by 4ft. The buildings look like they are laser cut,so better than the card kits I thought they originally showed. Something like this would actually make a good partwork.

It might be interesting to compare the layout base construction with the lightweight plywood open frame boards used now.

It's pretty clear that Loco-Revue Modelisme are exploiting their knowledge base from publishing and printing for the models they actually produce themselves so it would be natural for them to use paper/card products as far as possible in their new venture. Some of the same buildings do appear in their current catalogue where they are a lot cheaper than the more sophisticated buildings in the Regions & Compagnies range (To British eyes the price of these card kits is somewhat eye watering)   I'm guessing that they were developed as card kits for Train'in Box and are also being made available as separate products though so far only the Provence and Bretagne buildings are available. Train'in Box also offers Alsace and Nord. They are indeed laser cut but according to the catalogue the same buildings have appeared as thin card centrefolds in Loco Revue's magazine Clés pour le Train Miniature but those are best glued to card to produce a sturdy model. The Regions et Compagnies range are laser pre-cut rather than being completely cut but that's very similar to the old die cut Bilteezi kits.

The layout is quoted as being for age 12 years plus so they are likely to have avoided the need for any sharp tools or glues other than PVA though I didn't get to see exactly what was contained in the box. 

I'm not a great fan of part works as they seem to not follow the logic of a realisable beginner's project leading into the broader hobby. Train'in box would anyway be difficult to replicate in that form  as the box needs to large enough to include the longer lengths of corrugated card  used for the base and the card trackbed. In any case the base is probably tackled as a single job and the whole thing is supposed to be buildable relatively quickly so the idea of getting a few more pieces of card each week along with the odd bag of flock and a tree or two would run counter to the whole idea of the thing. This is to enable new modellers to build a complete working model railway fairly quickly and then move on. It could probably be tackled as a holiday project by a family and for that the price of €330-€360 (without or with a basic loco and couple of wagons) is probably about right.  

What I do like about this, along with L-R's publication over the past few years of a beginner's magazine, is that they're clearly thinking about the future of the hobby and the best way to interest more people to take it up.

• RMweb Gold

Another free source of good quality heavy cardboard in largish sheets is bicycle boxes. I don't know about the UK, but here in Oz they can be found in their dozens in the bins behind any bicycle shop after the weekend rush of customers collecting their new steeds. Also handy if you need to pack your bike for flying or other transport.

Great tip re the bike shops. Needed a big flat sheet earlier for a problem in another hobby area (theatre scenics) Halford's sourced me the necessary. Thank you.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

While looking for something else about modules I came across this. http://littorail76.chez.com/pdf/bossons.pdf

It's in French but the photos and dimensions are pretty self evident and colle vinylique is just PVA glue, His use of magnetic buttons (presumably Niodymium) as baseboard joiners is interesting as is the use of gesso to protect the cardboard,  I've built baseboards using foam core board (carton plume in French) and generally use the thinner version for the walls of buildings in H0 but have never thought of simply using mounting or other card for baseboards. 

• Like 1

While looking for something else about modules I came across this. http://littorail76.chez.com/pdf/bossons.pdf

It's in French but the photos and dimensions are pretty self evident and colle vinylique is just PVA glue, His use of magnetic buttons (presumably Niodymium) as baseboard joiners is interesting as is the use of gesso to protect the cardboard,  I've built baseboards using foam core board (carton plume in French) and generally use the thinner version for the walls of buildings in H0 but have never thought of simply using mounting or other card for baseboards. 

Shame it's a PDF so Google Translate doesn't work. I was just thinking about mountboard as I clicked on the link to your post, and it seems it was a potentially useful thought! I'd have thought that treating it with shellac would be worthwhile to strengthen it.

Shame it's a PDF so Google Translate doesn't work. I was just thinking about mountboard as I clicked on the link to your post, and it seems it was a potentially useful thought! I'd have thought that treating it with shellac would be worthwhile to strengthen it.

just copy the text and paste it into google translator. not much text to translate, and iut is pretty basic. I tend to check up on certain words or phrases, as they are sometimes not obvious.

From my own experience, building to make something lightweight, can result in modules being too big, so they are difficult to store and transport. Inow try to build layouts which are not so prone to damage.

Edited by rue_d_etropal