The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

Good grief, Mike. When did that activity stop?

People tend to forget that the freight working on train ferries continued right up to Channel Tunnel days.  

I took the first pic at Dover with the two pilots simultaneously propelling vehicles to each side of the deck.  It seems SNCF weren't so fussy about balancing things as the second picture, at Dunkerque. shows a decent raft of wagons being unloaded;  the third picture shows the sort of traction SNCF used in an equivalent role to BR's 350hp shunters.   All pictures taken on the same day in 1992 during the course of a trip on the ferry to observe and learn about operating practices as I'd never previously had any involvement with train ferry traffic.  I think the trainferry stopped transporting railway vehicles in 1995, possibly 1994, because originally certain Dangerous Goods were not permitted through the Channel Tunnel and still had to go by trainferry.

Loading at Dover

post-6859-0-83622400-1491346232.jpg

Unloading at Dunkerque

post-6859-0-30482300-1491346322.jpg

The traction used on the SNCF end of the operation

post-6859-0-15689400-1491346407.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

How far west can we find signs of GWML electrification?  

Swansea in January 2017. This was literally the last post nearest Swansea station.

post-408-0-25812000-1491350076_thumb.jpg

How about something with a "123" connection?

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

OK, here we go  -  tenuous connection (aka lateral thinking) time!

123  =  song by Len Barry.

Barry  =  .  .  .  .  .    well, we all know the answer to that!  So here's the mortal remains of Swanage at said (and sad) Welsh care home.

post-11812-0-31630300-1491352555_thumb.jpg

If that's a good enough connection, perhaps the next one could be a photo either of, or at, Swanage in better times.

• Like 2

OK, here we go  -  tenuous connection (aka lateral thinking) time!

123  =  song by Len Barry.

Barry  =  .  .  .  .  .    well, we all know the answer to that!  So here's the mortal remains of Swanage at said (and sad) Welsh care home.

attachicon.gif323 img039a.jpg

If that's a good enough connection, perhaps the next one could be a photo either of, or at, Swanage in better times.

In my opinion It's thanks to Woodham's that so many locomotives were saved.  (Although I bet he did not know it when he started. :locomotive:  )

Edited by NorthBrit

In my opinion It's thanks to Woodham's that so many locomotives were saved. (Although I bet he did not know it when he started. :locomotive: )

He was a businessman. Cutting wagons was more lucrative to start with, and then he found he could make more from selling the locos on the preservationists than by cutting them.

Still it's good that it happened that way.

It will have to be 'at Swanage' as I can't find WC Swanage in Dad's albums.

attachicon.gifLSWR M7 044T 30057 Swanage 16 7 1960.jpg

Please can we have a shot of a train within a few miles of the Severn Tunnel - the nearer the better.

I have cheated a little here, as this is a frame from my video.

post-4474-0-04932700-1491388319_thumb.png

Next, an ex-LNER K3

• Like 1

Another not-quite-what-you-might-expect (and not very good!) photo from the depths of my vault.

K3 at the back of Colwick MPD 28th Feb 1965.

In steam some considerable time after withdrawal & despite significant missing parts  .  .  .  .

post-11812-0-09827700-1491392459_thumb.jpg

OK,  it was being used as a stationary boiler.

Next -  a "proper" picture of a K3!

• Like 4

K3 it is then - 760mm gauge 0-4-0T Krauss Linz 2775/1892 (formerly Lokalbahn Gonobitz no. 3) as exhibited at the railway museum in Ljubljana (Slovenia).

post-10122-0-69711000-1491410183_thumb.jpg

The next one will include the photographer's own shadow!

• Like 4

Next a convoy of dead steam locos heading for scrap please....

Phil

That's ageist, Phil :jester:

Desperately waiting an opening in Willington.

Well not exactly an opening IN Willington...... Oh s@d it, you know what I mean, I'm off :senile:

Edited by leopardml2341

• RMweb Gold

Can we have a few details of where this is - apart from the fact that it is near Severn Tunnel, please?

On the Up line just east of the entrance to Pilning Up Loop and the unit has just passed through Ableton Lane Tunnel (visible behind it).  So at the time the frame was filmed that unit would have been  about 35-36 chains east of the English mouth of the Severn Tunnel

"a convoy of dead steam locos heading for scrap"

Well I would say that a "convoy" must be at least two steam locos and that "heading for" can represent their next destination, if not necessarily in the act of being towed there like some modern day fifty years ago "Fighting Temeraire"; and that there can't be many here that would have witnessed, let alone photographed, such scenes in Britain themselves.  So here in the loosest sense is such a convoy - an unidentified 14R and class 19 no. 1366 in the scrap line at Mason's Mill, Pietermaritzburg (South Africa 1985).

post-10122-0-26897100-1491431759_thumb.jpg

Turn the other way round, and we have rather more than a convoy of vintage electric locomotives heading for scrap - a long line of classes 1E and ES.

post-10122-0-72005900-1491431789_thumb.jpg

But history can often turn out stranger than fiction.  No. 1366, one of only four prototype locomotives for what became a very successful family of classes (19A-19D) was moved to store at Millsite, Krugersdorp, finding a place in the museum collection being assembled there by SANRASM.  It has been well-documented how most of the locomotives there were preyed upon by organised (and armed) gangs of metal thieves, such that many were beyond salvage and were scrapped.  Amazingly, 1366 might somehow have survived (I cannot be sure) so perhaps my very tenuous attempt to meet the criteria might be inaccurate.

I'll leave that to others to adjudicate whether the photo fits the bill, if so my request is that the next picture will be "very cold".

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I'll leave that to others to adjudicate whether the photo fits the bill, if so my request is that the next picture will be "very cold".

post-408-0-32736100-1491434729_thumb.jpg

How about something with a Swedish connection.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3

87002 2

87002 promoting train leasing.  Just what Joe and Joanna Numpty standing on the platform would reach for.

Keeping it coathanger themed, how about an AC electric in original Electric Blue from the early days of the WCML electrification.
  • Like 1

My first sighting of the Santa Fe's "warbonnet" livery - SD75M 223 and C40-8W 844 at Clovis, New Mexico - February 1986.

post-10122-0-66424600-1491517260_thumb.jpg

Let's stay in the Americas - the next picture will be somewhere South of the US border.

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Let's stay in the Americas - the next picture will be somewhere South of the US border.

South America?

Viewed from Machu Picchu

There is a train in this picture

post-408-0-55300100-1491521808_thumb.jpg

And zoomed in, looking much like a train set - the servicing area at Aguas Calientes. A metre gauge Alco

post-408-0-50648100-1491521809_thumb.jpg

Staying with the narrow gauge theme - UK, but not Welsh, narrow gauge.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 7