RMweb

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

Might not be the Peak District, but climbing a 1 in 50 must count as peak performance

post-14351-0-37400000-1493201579_thumb.jpg

There is a photo of the Jinty at the back of this train - let's have a steam banker working hard (perhaps we have had that already, but they make good pictures!)

Tell me if I am asking for too many steam images - as I am fortunate to have a lot of Dad's, I forget that most people have to rely on their own work, which often doesn't go that far back.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

I enjoy the older scenes, however if we can keep the subject requests relatively age neutral it will help those of us who were just at primary school when steam ended (or at primary school when BR disappeared in some cases!) take part.

​But no, I don't think we have too many kettles, it seems nicely balanced and you clearly have some wonderful archive gems in your collection which are worth sharing.

• RMweb Gold

And there have been tours banked up the Lickey by panniers!

Diesel bankers here but in view of the detatched bankers I think the "train" is banking the hauling locos - a pair of 25s IIRC

http://www.shelbrooke.co.uk/Hymek/74.jpg

You can only imagine the conversations between the crews at the foot of the bank

Included for interests sake - copyright my good friend Brian Thomas, not intended to match this threads requirements!

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

Well I nearly exhausted my collection of steam bankers earlier in the thread.  Here's another picture of a steam banker working hard (from the train) - hardly a shot to win prizes, but hopefully the story is of interest.

This is CSD 2-10-0 556.0464 providing some assistance at the rear of a train being hauled by 4-8-4T 477.055 in August 1975.   Having found that services between Nymburk and Ceska Lipa had a good chance of being steam hauled, we had caught a train from Prague to Nymburk.  On arrival, we found that Nymburk had two stations - Mesto (town) and Hlavni (main) - and that we were at the "wrong" one for the Ceska Lipa trains.  Setting off more optimistically than with knowledge of the way, I attempted to ask directions of a passer by - who fled in terror that she might be observed talking to foreigners!  I think I finally managed to get directions from a policeman.

Anyway, we found our way to the main station and "our" train duly pulled in behind the 477.0.  Surprisingly, the 2-10-0 was added to the rear at the next stop.  Although the line is a little hilly in places, a train of five branch-line carriages should have been well within the capabilities of what was among the most powerful tank locomotives ever built.  I think it must have been more to reduce single-line occupancy than for assistance (despite appearances).  Still, for my first "foreign" steam haulage, I ended up with two for the price of one!

post-10122-0-57323300-1493294793_thumb.jpg

Here's a slightly better shot of 556.0464 rest at the rear of the train at Mlada Bolslav, while waiting for the next section to clear and the train proceed northwards.

post-10122-0-45755800-1493294795_thumb.jpg

Back to literary connections, the next one will have a connection to Enid Blyton!

• Like 3

You know... I didn't even consider that angle.... in that case, something that is new.

I originally thought that was what you meant, I must spend too much of my time thinking laterally!

I think I captured some new build wagons here at the rear of a lengthy mixed freight train passing Guide Bridge hauled by 40143,

post-7081-0-28588300-1493311722_thumb.jpg

Ahead of the brake van are wagons I think just out-shopped from the Standard Railway Wagon Works at nearby Reddish South,

the three purple Lever Bros PCA wagons were new in 1981, so I reckon this was their first journey, 16/4/81

And the next photo will contain something old,

cheers

• Like 1

And there have been tours banked up the Lickey by panniers!

Diesel bankers here but in view of the detatched bankers I think the "train" is banking the hauling locos - a pair of 25s IIRC

http://www.shelbrooke.co.uk/Hymek/74.jpg

You can only imagine the conversations between the crews at the foot of the bank

Included for interests sake - copyright my good friend Brian Thomas, not intended to match this threads requirements!

Phil

That a fair exhaust from the front of that train.

27571630481_6be2010616_z.jpgAPT

sounthbound test run at Winwick Jnc 21.3.1984 by Richard Clayton, on Flickr

...and the next photo will have animals carried by rail (and no a Footex doesn't count)

Well this train has cattle wagons, but I can't see if they are loaded or empty.

post-4474-0-64586100-1493370291_thumb.jpg

46479 near Kelso 30th May 1962

If this is allowed, the next photo will include 1 or more horseboxes.

I thought that was requested earlier and struggled to get a response (and I also thought this thread was about one's own or own collection). I have plenty of shots of locos that worked in gasworks, but I'm sure there are plenty of far better ones on Flicker...

Yes, it is not difficult to just enter 'railway horsebox' into Google and post the best of the 10000 photos which come up in the image section; but it is not quite in the spirit of the thread.

• RMweb Gold

I thought that was requested earlier and struggled to get a response (and I also thought this thread was about one's own or own collection). I have plenty of shots of locos that worked in gasworks, but I'm sure there are plenty of far better ones on Flicker...

Definitely one's own photos for preference although one's own collection if they are photos taken by family members/close friends.  (Otherwise those of us who buy collections of photos and - in my case - postcards - could have a field day).

So let's give the gasworks theme another go and see if we have better luck this time but if not then a 'retired' gasworks engine  seems to me to be an acceptable compromise.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This was taken in a big gas works in Dublin making carbon dioxide gas. They managed to sell the by-product as ' Guinness' (1957)

Could we next have a steam crane in action

post-21027-0-20268700-1493406525.jpg

post-21027-0-46711600-1493406540_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 5

Thinking that steam had finished with standard gauge locomotives in 1968, it was quite a surprise to find a couple of steam cranes at Hither Green depot in February 1975, even more that one (DS452) was operating.

post-10122-0-28007400-1493407463_thumb.jpg

post-10122-0-39656600-1493407873_thumb.jpg

Next, a surviving relic from a pre-grouping railway in the modern era - not a museum or heritage line.   (Something like a monogrammed seat, a trespass notice or coat of arms).

• Like 4

Now, when we say "relic" would something like the Montrose Viaduct count?? Rebuilt in the 1880's, in the modern era with a Scotrail 170 (I think) crossing

16923813756_761251cafb_c.jpg

If it is, shall we stay in Scotland... maybe something from the Far North...

• Like 1