The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

I thought they were a bit uncommon, but here's one.

attachicon.gifCTT_366 - Copy.jpg

A bonus point for the location and signal it applied to.

A very quick search came up with this, which accompanied a photo of the signal taken from a slightly different angle. It came from a site called 'Signals around the West Midlands'. I had seen it earlier when I was trying establish how common they were. I had already had a quick scout through Dad's albums, without success.

When the line to Cheltenham was still open, this stop-and-distant banner repeater on the down platform repeated Stratford-upon-Avon's advanced starter and Evesham Road Crossing's lower-arm inner distant.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't travel in PTE territory much, unless you count LT, so I had to dive into the family album for this one, from the last holiday we had before our boys got too big to be seen on holiday with Mum & Dad!

post-14351-0-20682700-1492897654_thumb.jpg

Somewhere I have photos taken in the Glasgow transport museum - have you got one? A railway subject of course.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Correct. By the time I took the picture it was controlled by Stratford-upon-Avon East box. Originally it was the Down Home for the West box.

Thanks for the challenge. I spend far too much time chasing around looking for answers to queries on this site, but it's good fun.

Well I had a banner home repeater from the start of this week - but sadly no doubles.

Anyway - Glasgow Transport Museum it is - or at least as it was when you could actually inspect the exhibits.  Here's a couple of well-known locomotives from the collection, taken in 1995.  (My profile picture was used in publicity for the new museum).

post-10122-0-30961300-1492902985_thumb.jpg

At the risk of another long gap, the next one will be at the late, lamented Clapham Transport Museum.

Well I had a banner home repeater from the start of this week - but sadly no doubles.

Anyway - Glasgow Transport Museum it is - or at least as it was when you could actually inspect the exhibits.  Here's a couple of well-known locomotives from the collection, taken in 1995.  (My profile picture was used in publicity for the new museum).

attachicon.gifpict6570.jpg

Brings back many happy memories, my grandfather was a volunteer guide at the Kelvin Hall and to this day my favorite loco is CR 123 (closely followed by 37025). 

I think the great attraction were those beautiful, talismanic Scottish locos that had been restored and repainted into pre-grouping identities - running excursions in the early 'sixties.  I was too young to have seen them working, but grew up with pictures of them on special trains.

That was my only visit to Kelvin Hall, by sheer good fortune of having a meeting in the morning and a free afternoon.  My big regret is that I didn't appreciate and record the Chaplin vertical-boilered loco on display just inside the entrance - which I believe is now stored away from public view.

post-10122-0-64892700-1492904696_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

EddieB, you have left us hanging. What next?

A gas lamp on a station?

post-7024-0-34541900-1492912291_thumb.jpg

A BR totem on a closed station?

post-7024-0-48999500-1492912449.jpg

Healey Mills's breakdown crane?

post-7024-0-59738000-1492912577_thumb.jpg

What? What? Please tell us what the next photo is.

• RMweb Gold

Eddie did ask for a photo from the old Clapham LT Museum. I remember going there, but I don't think that I even had a camera then. Don't get me started on the toddlers' playground that the Covent Garden version has become.

Yes, it may have got overlooked in some discussion and posting another picture from the old Glasgow Transport Museum, but Clapham Museum is the next challenge. For the record, the museum closed before I got my first SLR camera and my Instamatic of those days didn't do well in the dimness of the main hall!

Going back many posts, I'm not comfortable that an overturned car on the concourse at Waterloo really satisfies my request for a train at a truncated through station - so that may be coming back like a cheap day return when I next get the baton.

• Like 2

Going back many posts, I'm not comfortable that an overturned car on the concourse at Waterloo really satisfies my request for a train at a truncated through station - so that may be coming back like a cheap day return when I next get the baton.

Oi! There's a train in shot, and it used to be a through station, don't see the issue... It's true that I was interpreting the brief as liberally as possible, but if I'd had a picture at Waterloo where the train was the subject i would have posted it...

Oi! There's a train in shot, and it used to be a through station, don't see the issue... It's true that I was interpreting the brief as liberally as possible, but if I'd had a picture at Waterloo where the train was the subject i would have posted it...

It might be ignorance, but I'm genuinely puzzled as to the extent to which Waterloo was ever a through station.  Ok, that was the original intention, but it only really developed as a terminus.  Waterloo East (and Waterloo, Belgium) can be regarded as [a] through station, but they're different entities.

There used to be lines through the concourse and over Waterloo Road to Waterloo East. The bridge is still there, underneath the pedestrian walkway tube.
The distances on the old LSWR route are all measured from the junction with the Charing Cross line, so the buffers are at about 5 chains.

A little more on that: https://www.londonreconnections.com/2011/the-waterloo-link/

Edited by Zomboid

So no takers for the Transport Museum at Clapham?

For me, it's one of those places from formative memory that I'd love to be able to go back and revisit.  I made several visits as a youngster before it closed - and memories take the form of snapshots - I can still visualise a lot of what was exhibited there, but I'm unable to explore those mental images any further.  It must also have been a lot larger than memory suggests - without checking I can remember at least 14 locomotives, aside from various carriages.  An annex with paintings and posters, examples of track components and the railway collecting dog.  As I've said, no worthwhile photos of my own - but a few images in books to remind me should I have need.

So here's the best of a poor lot - J69 0-6-0T 68633 restored as Great Eastern Railway no. 87.

post-10122-0-01904500-1493033042_thumb.jpg

Right then, the next one will be of a train at a former through station (i.e. it was built and functioned principally as a through station), that has now become a terminus due to line closures (let's say within the last seventy years) - so not Waterloo (though thanks to Zomboid for an explanation)!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice one Phil

Whats next?

Phil

Oh bum! I  forgot didn't I? Do you know what I like? 1970's run down British Rail. Give me your worst. Worse than London Broad Street. Monochrome acceptable.

• RMweb Gold

Oh bum! I  forgot didn't I? Do you know what I like? 1970's run down British Rail. Give me your worst. Worse than London Broad Street. Monochrome acceptable.

How about a filthy gronk in a litter strewn Worcester Shrub Hill

post-7138-0-87949600-1493068043_thumb.jpg

That's the worst I've got - hope that hits the grot spot Phil

If so lets have a Baby Deltic please.....

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

How about a filthy gronk in a litter strewn Worcester Shrub Hill

attachicon.gif000057.JPG

That's the worst I've got - hope that hits the grot spot Phil

If so lets have a Baby Deltic please.....

Phil

Perfect. Just wish I had a snap of a baby deltic.

And a BRUTE! Superb.

Edited by 96701