The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

Can I suggest unless anything else comes up a 'Bambi Tram' then? For those unfamiliar with the nickname a Midland Mainline HST in the original livery

For a moment I thought you were referring to the First Barbie livery - or was that just on the buses? Rambling again, Sutters!

Deery, deary me.  I'd forgotten the "I'd love a Babycham" livery!  43055 at St Pancras in December 1997.

post-10122-0-77531500-1493129670_thumb.jpg

Ok, let's stay with Disney - the next one has a link to a cartoon character from the Disney stable.

I hadn't noticed the Paethorpe's van at first!

Rather obvious - A Tale of Two Cities - London and Paris (and a far, far better place).  Eurostar sets at Gare du Nord, Paris in July 1999.

post-10122-0-29757900-1493138687_thumb.jpg

Less obviously, Dickens - a man of good taste - once described Chigwell as "the greatest place on Earth".

post-10122-0-56600700-1493138670_thumb.jpg

Is it pushing it too far to say that the next will have a literary allusion to Joseph Conrad?

• Like 1

Well I had to google Joseph Conrad (I don't remember him from my O levels)

anyway one of his novels was 'The Rescue' from 1920, so here is my interpretation,  

post-7081-0-84127400-1493141247_thumb.jpg

50033 Glorious assists a west bound HST at Exeter St Davids, the power cars were 43150 and 43149, 21/4/82

Keeping with the theme, but going a bit laterally, the next photo will have a Thunderbirds connection,

cheers 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here's one I did for 'O'level - the play not the photo - although I must have been taking my 'O' levels about that time.

post-14351-0-24465000-1493145440_thumb.jpg

Are there any Shakespeare connections without a King involved, to which you can supply a photo?

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was hoping that someone would come up with something more imaginative than a loco at Plymouth, but as they haven't - you could have had a King, but as I used one a few posts up, this little chap will do

post-14351-0-88415100-1493155901_thumb.jpg

Trying to follow the word association - can we have something with a distinct Elizabethan connection - not just something that has been around in the reign of our current Queen, please?

• RMweb Gold

A really crap photograph of Princess Elizabeth at York. Many moons ago.

post-7024-0-30459000-1493157569_thumb.jpg

Can we have something from the nineties, please?

Ahhhhh, just noticed that it is supposed to be something that wasn't around in the reign of our current queen, so therefore I withdraw my photo and wait for something that was photographed before the longest reigning monarch in UK history started, and is still associated with 'Elizabethan'.

Edited by 96701

• RMweb Gold

1996 or thereabouts:

6499792587_a190104f49_b.jpg

308145 departs from Keighley by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Okay. How about a photo from the 80s (lets see how far this can go...)

Oh no. Now see what I've done. I've gone and withdrawn my input, so does it now mean that this entry is invalid? Ohhhhhhhh, rules and regulations...... How will we cope?

Edited by 96701

• RMweb Gold

What happened to TheSignalEngineer's request, he posted a Shakespeare connection ;)

I think it should follow his request for Sir Francis or the Armada ;)

Part of the fun is tenuous connections and this is getting a bit precise at times. ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Greetings to all thread participants

My apologies if my challenge/request wasn't very clear. I didn't want something that's only claim to be Elizabethan was that it was around in ERII's reign, as that would have allowed in anything during the last 60+ years. Princess Elizabeth is fine. Connections to ER1's reign would have been acceptable. Among the Castles, Manors, Granges and Halls there must be an number of Elizabethan buildings.

May I suggest that we accept Princess Elizabeth and 

have a wildcard, so that we can go off on another collection of tenuous links.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What happened to TheSignalEngineer's request, he posted a Shakespeare connection ;)

I think it should follow his request for Sir Francis or the Armada ;)

Part of the fun is tenuous connections and this is getting a bit precise at times. ;)

I posted at #492 a photo of 1434 at Plymouth North Road, having waited a bit to see if a more ingenious offer came up. Then we got into the Elizabethan confusion.

Edited by phil_sutters