RMweb

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Gold

Is this unusual enough? OK it was a special, rather than a regular turn with a replacement for a failed loco, which would probably be one of the main reasons for the requested scenario.

post-14351-0-02938700-1503487291_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

What about going for a full set of lamp/disc headcodes from A to K followed by a Royal Train and a Station Pilot?

attachicon.gifHeadcodes.JPG

Anyone for an Express Passenger headcode on an unusual loco?

Isn't that somewhat restrictive?

E.g. the GWR was different to the above list the Southern used a different system entirely. Don't know what the LNER/LMS did.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

The S&D right through into BR days used what is shown as class F above for its passenger headcode and the class D layout for its goods trains. Light engines had one lamp in the chimney position and shunters one in the class J position. The latter two positions are gleaned from photos.

• RMweb Gold

Ah the S&D - where it seemed to have the opposite habit to every other railway and took the lamp positions as from the engine cab looking forward rather than as seen on an approaching train (or where its footplate staff applied that idea even if it was not actually meant!).   Serves 'em right for saving money and describing their headlamp codes in words rather than using illustrations like other Railways ;)

Anyway moving forward here is a standard Class C headcode on an ex GWR engine -

post-6859-0-30731000-1503507920_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

X. -- easy if you live in or visit China

Oh I missed X... and I had a real brain teaser for an X... right here in the U.K, taken in recent times too.

Will save it for the right moment.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold

Oh I missed X... and I had a real brain teaser for an X... right here in the U.K, taken in recent times too.

Will save it for the right moment.

Ex eter?

Well there certainly isn't one shown in the official stations list unless you are use raillink bus stop codes!

Keith

There are several, and not bus stops, though I did think about an airport. :-)

XRD for instance is the Railink Code for Ryde Hoverport - but that doesn't have a nameboard beginning with ' X' :)

• RMweb Gold

Er - is anyone playing this game? I could finish on my own, with Dad's help, if no-one else has the photos!

I haven't delved too deeply into my older pics, especially the non-scanned ones, but from my own original pics I have a two Class G Class (one with the lamp in the wrong position for reasons which can be explained if it is posted), and then one Class H and two Class Ks lined up (which between them cover three different Regions/classes of engine) plus two of Pilot Lamps on what might be regarded as 'unusual' engines (two different types of 4-6-0).  From a quick search I haven't been able to lay hands on any others except for more examples of the ones I've just mentioned (and plenty of Class A ones plus some Class B).

I don't argue one bit with the subject SE has set as it's a good one but I suspect it's one that will have many people scratching for pics as effectively it is age of steam/early diesels & electrics so will have disappeared in the late 1960s (although Classification by letter had of course gone some years before that anyway although the headlamp codes still existed into the 1970s).  Thus it prnbably means that only those of us taking pictures in the early 1960s, or earlier, or folk like Phil with a family photo collection to draw on are going to be able to find suitable pics of our own.

• RMweb Premium

I didn't even consider headcodes and never paid any attention to them.

Also I didn't take many photos that long ago even though I had a basic Coronet camera in the late 50s (I couldn't afford the film!)

Keith

• RMweb Gold

If I go through all of the scruffy stuff I think the only one I haven't got is Class E, that didn't seem to get used much in our area. If it didn't have enough fitted head to qualify for Class D then they usually ran as Class F. I can probably turn up at least one (Class H) on an early diesel.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps we had better start a new series of challenges. I appreciate that I am in a fortunate position of having Dad's archive, but it does give people an opportunity to see photos that would otherwise sleep on in his albums. As you will have seen my resources are mainly in the steam era, so perhaps someone with more modern images could kick off a new series.

Or if it helps to release the log jam you can have this 'E' - It's quite a nice photo into the bargain.

post-14351-0-73680400-1503612553_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Perhaps we had better start a new series of challenges. I appreciate that I am in a fortunate position of having Dad's archive, but it does give people an opportunity to see photos that would otherwise sleep on in his albums. As you will have seen my resources are mainly in the steam era, so perhaps someone with more modern images could kick off a new series.

Or if it helps to release the log jam you can have this 'E' - It's quite a nice photo into the bargain.

attachicon.gifHCE GW 280T 5259 LMS 280 48761 Cardiff Gen 8 8 1960.jpg

I have no idea what all these lamps and letters mean, I even struggle with headcodes but I do like the photos. If I'm not contributing it gives me more time to enjoy others' contributions. Keep it up.

Edited by 96701