RMweb

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

• RMweb Premium

I'm not complaining. The pictures are fine.

When I was young there were only three types of trains: Express Passenger, Stopping trains and Goods! :jester:

All these lamps were a mystery. :scratchhead:

Keith

BTW I'm still waiting to see this UK station nameboard beginning with "X"!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And another 'Castle' wearing a slightly different G headcode (it was enroute to shed, light engine) but look where the lamp is.  The lamp couldn't go on the correct bracket because of what was already there so went 'next bracket to the right' which I believe was a semi-official practice at one time.

post-6859-0-29026700-1503650650_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that every example of headcodes so far is either featuring a GWloco or line.

Maybe when this pass through of headcodes is done, we should do SR, followed by LMS and then LNER ?

SR should be an interesting array of codes !

• RMweb Gold

For J a rather fuzzy one, but it am fairly sure there's a lamp on the far end of the buffer beam! It's probably an empty wagon train backing in. There are full ones to the right, waiting to go.

post-14351-0-01851400-1503651461_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Now if we were to do a 1-99 of SR two-digit headcode numbers, I could contribute to that...

Bit of a learning curve for me, but Dad has a fair number of Southern photos, that I could trawl through! I hope all this grey matter exercise keeps senility at bay - or could it be that following this thread is a sign that it has already happened?

• RMweb Gold

Interesting that every example of headcodes so far is either featuring a GWloco or line.

Maybe when this pass through of headcodes is done, we should do SR, followed by LMS and then LNER ?

SR should be an interesting array of codes !

Probably a consequence of where some of us (mis)spent our youth.  I do have one or two foreigners, one of which appears above, plus several Class B - and, oddly, my only pics of Class H lamps are on LM engines very deep in LM (ex Midland) territory.

• RMweb Gold

I can either do you a postcard of GWR 4-6-0 4021 King Edward (renamed for the occasion, I assume) on King Edward VII's funeral train - 20.5.1910 or the royal helicopter - from 2014! Neither Dad nor I have snapped a royal train.

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Gold

I've pictures of T9 No.120 or D200 with a full set of lamps/discs up but not on a Royal Train. 

After we find one perhaps we should finish with an oil tail lamp on a diesel or electric. I have several but I think i've already posted at least two in other threads.

• RMweb Premium

Unidentified EE Type 4 hauling an Class H engineers train through Snow Hill on the last Saturday of through services in March 1967. Probably on its way to start dismantling the line. 

attachicon.gif09_18p.jpg

Although most of the the station closed in 1967 there was a limited service to the north from one truncated platform until 1972 and most of the track AFAIK wasn't lifted until after the withdrawal of that service.

This image dayed 1969 shows the main station still more or less intact two years after withdrawal of services apart from the one above:

http://warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/birmingham-snowhill/structures/gwrbsh1136.jpg

Keith

• RMweb Gold

I've pictures of T9 No.120 or D200 with a full set of lamps/discs up but not on a Royal Train. 

After we find one perhaps we should finish with an oil tail lamp on a diesel or electric. I have several but I think i've already posted at least two in other threads.

The only oil lamp on a diesel I can find is on Western Yeoman at a Didcot open day, so that's a bit of a cheat. 

• RMweb Gold

Although most of the the station closed in 1967 there was a limited service to the north from one truncated platform until 1972 and most of the track AFAIK wasn't lifted until after the withdrawal of that service..................

Keith

As no signalling alterations were done between 1967 and closure a lot of redundant stuff had to be maintained just to keep the sporadic service running as points out of route were called for protection. The junction at Moor St was still shown on Saltley Panel when we were testing it, but was out of use by commissioning. IIRC there were some recoveries done on the old Main lines to Handsworth and we took out one of the Hockley boxes around 1968 after the goods depot closed.

• RMweb Premium

As no signalling alterations were done between 1967 and closure a lot of redundant stuff had to be maintained just to keep the sporadic service running as points out of route were called for protection. The junction at Moor St was still shown on Saltley Panel when we were testing it, but was out of use by commissioning. IIRC there were some recoveries done on the old Main lines to Handsworth and we took out one of the Hockley boxes around 1968 after the goods depot closed.

I was working visiting factories around the Black Country in the years following closure and i was surprised to find out how much track was still in place some years after 1972.

It was obviously abandoned due it's condition with such things as smashed chairs on B/H track but nothing actually missing (so not metal fairies!).

There was still a limited service remaining for access to some businesses along parts of the line. (Scrapyard, Coal, Steel etc.)

I remember seeing, from Great Bridge Road, a diesel shunter trundling along with some wagons in the mid/late 70s

Even after the track had been recovered the route was protected by the old West Midland County against re-development, for possible re-instatement, which was instrumental in allowing the Midland Metro to be built along much of the track bed.

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

:offtopic: Topic Drift Warning.

I was involved in the history of the decline and re-birth of Snow Hill from 1966 right through to testing of Midland Metro. I was on the gangs for the upgrading of the route from Bordesley Junction to Exchange Sidings for the diversion of services to New Street in 1966-7, then helped to produce some temporary drawings for the abortive attempt to close Moor St in 1969. Following that I had a bit of involvement in proposals for keeping the Snow Hill to Wolverhampton LL and Smethwick West as two independent single lines. One possible pro[posal was to work both of them from Handsworth & Smethwick box as that area still had regular freight traffic. I've still got the PWay line diagram marked up with the rationalisation proposals somwhere.  I remember another job which got started in the Drawing Office for recovering all of the equipment from Snow Hill and using it to resignal Stourbridge Junction. 

In 1972 I did the Section C notice for the closure of the line with the exception of two sections from Smethwick West to Queens Head and Wednesbury to (IIRC) Bilston. It was for somewhere like Arnott Young scrapyard but the details escape me. Smethwick West to Handsworth was rationalised two years later by one of my workmates. In the early and mid-1980s I was involved in BR/WMPTE team which developed various projects, my bits including finalising the signalling arrangements, writing the technical part of the contract for design & supply of the signalling equipment and supervising the design of the interface with Saltley PSB. Finally from 1991 I was the Signalling Project Engineer for the restoration of the line beyond Snow Hill and the interfacing arrangements with Midland Metro.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Gosh, those were the days when New Street had its own station pilot!

There was always an 08 hanging around at BNS until the last vestiges of loco-hauled ended with the introduction of Voyagers and Pendolinos.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I

Perhaps the death-knell of headlamps

Hopefully!!

Anway wildcard, a roller blind headcode

F23296B8-BAB3-41D0-A4FB-D47DA2C7979D.jpg

If it's accepted let's go random again and get the challenge back on track the next picture will have something not linked alphabetically, numerically, colour wise, locationally to this picture!!

• Like 1