Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

Rather appropriately for todays announcement, here is one of Hattons' chosen prototypes, number 1863 in a Black CR livery at the Caledonian Railway in Brechin.

As Hattons' says, she was in the Lined CR blue livery you can buy her in until 2005.

Here she is against the buffers at Brechin station, with a headboard showing her age.

post-27529-0-88598500-1505156885_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see a few smaller locos which were the workhorses of the railway.

There were thousands of them around compared to the relatively few "Big Green/Red/Blue* Engines" which model railway companies like to sell.

* delete as appropriate!

Keith

• Like 1

Now this might mean scurrying through your photo collections, but I thought today we could do 'Railways in the Landscape'. Just to clarify what that means, ideally a photo of a train with 5 buildings or less in view.

So here we go, (and I can't see any buildings here) a Scotrail 158 passes near to Achnashellach heading towards Inverness on a wet 10th August 2016.

post-31351-0-62442900-1505195713_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I am sure that you know there is a whole thread on this topic, nevertheless let's give it a whirl here. It may bring out some interesting views from a different group of followers. (I have just spotted a bit of grot in the sky. I shall return with a cleaned up version shortly! --- job done and a little sharpening as well)

post-14351-0-20028000-1505201529_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 3

The "trains in a giant landscape" thread in the US/ Canada section is well worth a look, though that's mostly links to outside sources.

It's not limited to North America either, the last post at the moment is a picture from Iran.

Anyway, let's see what this version brings. Minus 10 points for the first person to post Ribblehead ;-)

Here's a landscape behind some wagons:

post-25860-0-20434200-1505202271_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zomboid

• RMweb Premium

I don't think there are any buildings in this shot apart from the sheep hut in the field

BOB 100th anniversary with loco no 11 on a Interlaken Ost-Zweilütschinen steam special:

post-6208-0-50861400-1505203283_thumb.jpg

Taken by my good lady.

Keith

EDIT

At this point the BOB and the Schynigge Platte Bahn run side by side along the valley but about 100metres to the right the SPB turns back on itself and starts it's climb to the summit.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Must just compliment Phil on the ongoing quality of his posts, and his dad's photos are quite exceptional.

Many thanks. I am very pleased at their reception. Flogging through the albums took quite a time, but it was definitely worth it. It is a shame that Dad wasn't around when this means of sharing his enthusiasm for railways became available.

I wonder whether there are other albums out there, that are just sitting on shelves, only to be got down when another enthusiast comes around or inquisitive relative goes through them after the photographer has died.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Mike, chances are that it was built well before those dates.  

The original PKP Ok1 class mostly derived from P8s built between 1908 and 1919 and previously allocated to former Prussian depots, primarily those that found themselves within the borders of the new territory of Poland (post-Versailles).  They were supplemented by some built in the latter stages of WWI and allocated to the military authority that took over the railways in "Russian Poland" after the capitulation of Russia in 1916. (190 locomotives in total, plus two in Danzig).  As part of war reparations, a further 65 were constructed new for PKP by the German builders Schwatrzkopff, Linke-Hoffman and Henschel.

World War II shuffled the pack, as all extant locomotives were taken into DRG ownership and renumbered.  After the war, the locomotives that found their way back to Poland were largely those that had served the previous incarnation of PKP (but were given new numbers) and included a few that had previously worked in Germany, Russia - even Belgium.  Given the number, there's a fair chance I can find the history of "your" locomotive.

Just one snag - I can read the location (Tczew), but cannot read the number (the smokebox and cabside appear different).  Do you have a record?

Eddie - thanks for that.  The location is Malbork according to my original notes and the number is either 96 or 98 (checked off a BMP file) and it was amazingly clean for a northern Polish engine of that time (generally they tended to be far cleaner in the south than the north of the country and the crewing situation was also interesting as Firemen in the south also tended to be far older than some of the youngsters you would encounter up in the north).

And no apologies for showing some more of the same on shed at Gdansk.

post-6859-0-13528800-1505210445_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

3 buildings, one large construction and a car. Oh - and a train

66744 crossing Ribblehead Viaduct to run-round at Blea Moor loops before heading to Pendleton stone terminal

post-408-0-49876500-1505211384_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3

Eddie - thanks for that.  The location is Malbork according to my original notes and the number is either 96 or 98 (checked off a BMP file) and it was amazingly clean for a northern Polish engine of that time (generally they tended to be far cleaner in the south than the north of the country and the crewing situation was also interesting as Firemen in the south also tended to be far older than some of the youngsters you would encounter up in the north).

The number Ok1-98 makes sense, as the locomotive survived until August 1978.  It was built by Borsig in 1915, and allocated to KED Münster (running number Mst 2417), later moving to Kattowitz (becoming Ktw 2440").  Found in Polish territory (as Kattowitz became Katowice), it was numbered Ok1-49 after PKP introduced their numbering scheme.  Taken over by the expanded Reichsbahn in World War II it became 38 1141", before passing back to Poland and being given the number you saw.

A couple of notes on the numbers shown.  The Prussian State Railways (KPEV) did not give unique numbers to their locomotives across the system, but each depot (KED) had its own number list (although the number series tended to correspond, such that the P8s were generally numbered in 24xx range at each depot.  I have used the suffix of a double quote (") to indicate where it became the second locomotive to carry such a number (the " wasn't part of the number), as after transfer to Kattowitz and then to the DRG.

Despite what your slides say - the station nameboards look like Tczew to me!  The places are nearby and I think both were on the "approved list" for foreign visitors in the 'seventies.

In case you're wondering, the story of the P8 in Poland has been a favourite topic of mine, as they provide probably the best example to illustrate the history of and PKP locomotive stock..

• RMweb Gold

I have not discovered whether Dad & W.Vaughan Jenkins went on any photography or spotting trips together, They may just have exchanged letters and photos. W V-J's handful of photos in Dad's collection are of extremely high quality and I hope that there are no copyright concerns with using this one here. I have 'published' his work in other photo-sharing sites and have had no adverse comments on the copyright front.

post-14351-0-96911800-1505221997_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

The registration reminded me of something.

It used to be owned by the late Ivo Peters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivo_Peters

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford