Olivia's Trains BOC VBA and Cryogenics TEA

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if already asked, but would a train be all Nitrogen or Oxygen, or could a trainload consist of both ? (Running empty perhaps ?) or would this be considered a risk ? Seeing the wagons labelled I assume immediately precludes dual use of the wagon (Nitrogen today, Oxygen tomorrow)

Apologies for the really stupid question, but i know nothing of gasses, but Oxygen... isnt that just a trainload of fresh air being moved about ? - were these pressure vessels ? (Recognising you can store gas without excess pressure as a container ). Chemistry wasnt my career.

Edited by adb968008

I have spent a considerable time going through the wagon numbers and "artist's impression" images on Olivia's site, to establish which were Liquid Oxygen carriers (which are the ones I need) and then, thinking I had spotted various labelling errors and omissions, compared each to the photographic evidence. I could not find a single error! Well done Olivia's.

On 10 October, their site stated that pre-orders will be air-freighted in by Oct 2018 (obviously that did not happen, and they have not yet (apparently) or only just approved all the samples). But it also says that non-pre-ordered supplies will arrive in January, so not far away at all, even if they are a few weeks later than that.

Judging from that which Andy has posted and the breadth of detailed differences they are offering, plus the general accuracy of the tanker which has obviously been researched very well, given none are still running, I am not surprised at the price. A deffo for me.

Apologies if already asked, but would a train be all Nitrogen or Oxygen, or could a trainload consist of both ? (Running empty perhaps ?) or would this be considered a risk ? Seeing the wagons labelled I assume immediately precludes dual use of the wagon (Nitrogen today, Oxygen tomorrow)

Apologies for the really stupid question, but i know nothing of gasses, but Oxygen... isnt that just a trainload of fresh air being moved about ? - were these pressure vessels ? (Recognising you can store gas without excess pressure as a container ). Chemistry wasnt my career.

I have never observed a mixed formation, but maybe someone can shed light on that.

"Fresh air" consists of rather more, different gases than just Oxygen, mainly Nitrogen, but also about a dozen others. Purified Oxygen turns into a liquid at about minus 200 degs Centigrade, so the rail tankers are like huge thermos flasks, to keep it cool as much as possible. Nonetheless, the oxygen keeps trying to "boil" back into gas, which is why there are venting valves on the wagons, to prevent the pressure inside from causing an explosion. Oxygen as a gas is about 800 times the volume of the same weight of Oxygen as a liquid, so you would need 800 wagons for every one wagon of Liquid Oxygen, so it is simply more efficient and thus much cheaper to move it about, this way.

Liquid Oxygen (LOX) is used in many industrial and medical processes - in the case of my layout, the steel making process at Sheerness Steel used oxygen (back into gas) as a part of the Electric Arc Furnace method of melting scrap, purifying it and turning it into steel rod and bar, and coiled sheet. The oxygen was used both to provide extra heat, by burning, at the sides of the furnaces, and to be injected at high pressure into the molten material to accelerate the chemical process.

Back in the 1990's we had a LOX plant on HMS Invincible. This was used to fill small spherical flasks for the Sea Harrier pilots. It was a restricted compartment and a fire in there would have been disastrous.

John

Hi everyone,

These tanks do look rather nice, it’s a livery that always stood out and good that Olivia’s have produced them. I could run a few on Newlands as plenty of photos of the wagons at Mossend but did any ever run up the Cumbrian Coast Line?

Thanks

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Went to the Olivias site the other day only to find that they do not have a proper shop website. Having heard tales about Olivias before I abandoned the idea to order from them.

Sorry, but what part of the website makes it improper?

This is a thread about a product, not another thread on which to bash the retailer.

Sorry, but what part of the website makes it improper?

This is a thread about a product, not another thread on which to bash the retailer.

I agree this is not the thread on which Olivia-bashing is wanted. There is a whole other thread for that, and the general tone has been set between those who have bad experiences and those who have been rather better serviced. We have the evidence of the models in the flesh, and they look pretty good (other than perhaps the colour of the barrier vans, although I can see at least one Paul Bartlett photo where that may be debatable).

But I do agree that Olivia's website is strangely lacking the normal ordering process that we have become used to with such as Hattons, Kernow, The Hobby Shop etc etc. It is merely a messaging system to place the order, and then a phone call or two further emails, are required to make payment. This is strange for a retailer for whom the bulk, or a large minority at least, of their business must be via the internet these days.

Nonetheless, as with many other firms who lack up-to-date web sites, but who make things I need, that has not put me off ordering these tankers. It does however, put me off ordering any run-of-the-mill things from them.

No affront intended, honestly. I thought from experience it would be clear what a proper web shop is.

There should be a personal account where ordering details are stored, detailed info regarding the specific article and its price and cart system, which allows the user to see the final price without having to ask. And last but not least a proper web shop must have a secure payment system that is safe for both parties.

post-13602-0-63026100-1541538341_thumb.png

post-13602-0-21881300-1541538356_thumb.png

post-13602-0-75075500-1541538371_thumb.png

I am afraid this has nothing to do with the BOC tanks. What I wanted to express is that I really would like to get one each of oxygen and nitrogen tanks but currently have no means that I personally trust blindly.

If it helps and you don’t want to order through Olivia’s they will be available from Rainbow Railways. As they are not out yet and not listed if you drop them an email they will get you what you need and contact you nearer the time.

I will add I know Colin and Mike at Rainbow Railways and they have got items for me via Olivia’s on several occasions.

Thanks

Mark

No affront intended, honestly. I thought from experience it would be clear what a proper web shop is.

There should be a personal account where ordering details are stored, detailed info regarding the specific article and its price and cart system, which allows the user to see the final price without having to ask. And last but not least a proper web shop must have a secure payment system that is safe for both parties.

attachicon.gif2018-11-06-214828_1280x800_scrot.png

attachicon.gif2018-11-06-214929_1280x800_scrot.png

attachicon.gif2018-11-06-215104_1280x800_scrot.png

I am afraid this has nothing to do with the BOC tanks. What I wanted to express is that I really would like to get one each of oxygen and nitrogen tanks but currently have no means that I personally trust blindly.

Sites such as thiese take real money to buy and a lot of effort to keep upto date!

Having visited Olivias recently I was impressed that it is set up for selling to customers coming into the shop - and it is amazing just how much variety is available now, as his displays show.

Of course the design & development of these models was not done by Olivias.

Paul

• Like 1

I’m interested in the Nitrogen tank(s) to Falmouth. I’ve tried looking in the usual places for an image, but to no avail. Could anyone direct me to a photo depicting said tank either at Falmouth or en route in consist.

Many thanks

When working to the company's distribution depots the BOC block trains often featured mixed consists, some of the tanks loaded liquid oxygen and others liquid nitrogen.  However, flows for a specific purpose would be confined to one or the other; eg. nitrogen to Falmouth for ship storage tank purging or to Inverness for fruit packaging, while Corby and Sheerness received oxygen.

• 3 weeks later...

I, for one, would appreciate your first impressions Paul?

Mike,

I should have time to take a close look and a few pics tomorrow. But so far, very good, the packs of small bits are mostly spares, plus a different set of buffers and scale instanter couplings. So far so good.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I have had a good look at the 2 tanks I have. I confess I am no expert on the prototypes, I photographed one tank at Sheerness several years ago. I looked at Paul Bartlett's excellent, but few photos which are a great help.

There is much fine detail moulded and attached. The two packs of unfitted details include tension lock couplings, scale instanter couplings, air hoses and end hatch covers (these covers are not always fitted) . The remaining items are bonus spare parts already fitted plus the version of buffers for the early models. 

Painting is good with a few printing issues. The BOC logo version has the TOPs boxes and hazardous boxes printed over raised surface detail which is not correct. Also the Liquid Nitrogen logo is over detail again, which usually is to the right. But there lots of fine printing on the many boxes. The solebar cast number plates have different numbers to the TOPs boxes, although you can hardly read them as they are so small.

On the BOC wagon the air tank on the underframe is not fitted level, but that should be easy to correct. Wheels have disc brakes on inner and outer surfaces.

The bogies have handbrakes wheels different ends of one bogie. It appears there is a rarer version with the brake wheels on the other ends (which I need). Again this would not be difficult to change.

In trying to see if the blank wagon will match the prototype I want to model, it seams I would need to remove the tank body and turn it round, and move the brake wheels on the bogie. Also I would need to remove the end hatch completely. The prototypes likely contain these sorts of variations, the underframe centre boxes look like variations exist too which could be altered if you wanted to.

As I said I am not an expert on these wagons, but the models should be fine as they are, but if you wanted to model exact prototypes it should not be too difficult to achieve (not forgetting there is a long list of available versions in the range). I obtained the transfer sheet which looks good allowing several number and lettering changes.

Pictures below.

post-1373-0-91087600-1544366625_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-16202000-1544366638_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-08258200-1544366650_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-56227200-1544366659_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-15922500-1544366674_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-88441500-1544366683_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-94575400-1544366693_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-24318300-1544366702_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-40686500-1544366710_thumb.jpg

I hope this is of interest.

Cheers.

Edited by Lyddrail
  • Like 6

Many thanks for these photos and details Paul - very useful indeed, and you have explained a few things that were not clear to me about the model.

Can't wait for mine! (Although I will have to, as we will be away shortly for a few weeks).

Not impressed with the fit of the ends though.

Mike.

Mike,

The photo is very close up, but there is a slight moulded ridge on the tank. It could be shaved off but would then need touching up. However, the join/seam does stand out as pic below. 

post-1373-0-38710500-1544385057_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

• Like 1