Olivia's Trains BOC VBA and Cryogenics TEA

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

So... having rejected these wagons for not being as described, I was informed by Olivia's manager to return them at my cost at which point Olivia's would decide if they were acceptable or not.  If they were found to be acceptable, I would have to pay postage a third time to have them redelivered.  If they were not acceptable in Olivia's view, I would be refunded excluding my return postage.  I told Olivia's manager that the goods had been rejected under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for not being as described.  I informed Olivia's the wagons were dirty and damaged and distinctly second hand with transfers applied by them in a poor attempt to produce a pristine BOC barrier wagon but their advert did not state that this was what they were selling hence not as described. 

It was at this juncture, that Bishop took over the correspondence and firstly said the models were sold to me in error as I was a previously banned customer in what can only be described as raging text (and later email) paranoia.  I explained that he was wrong and I was a first time buyer and was soon to become a first and only time buyer.  I asked him to explain his rudeness and the evidence for his accusation which he ignored.  I also said he should send me the cost of the return postage before the goods were returned as I did not trust him to refund the return postage otherwise.  He agreed to pay for 2nd Class Signed For return postage even though his wagons were under insured in the event of loss or damage and sent me £3.95 by PayPal.

Having received the wagons back, and after some further prevarication regarding the "as new" condition of the wagons albeit with minor shelf wear to the boxes and reconfirming my ban from ever shopping with Olivia's again, I received a full refund a couple of days back.

I shall not buy from them again despite my ban and can only wonder at Bishop's rationale for conducting business in the manner he does.  I found the whole process (from original order to the refund) to be awkward, unpleasant and stressful.  I am glad this matter is now concluded.

Incredible! Why do people keep on buying from this thoroughly unpleasant shop? Really the only way to sort this guy out is to stop buying

• 3 months later...

I've had a set of these tankers and the barrier wagon across my desk for review in BRM January.

1.jpg

Overall I am extremely impressed with the accuracy and quality with plenty of checking against Paul Bartlett's images. The finish is very good and there's no major hang-ups.

BOC1.jpg

BOC2.jpg

BOC3.jpg

The VBA van is a standard Bachmann bauxite van re-finished for Olivia's by Rainbow Resprays and the quality of finish is very good and ties in well with a little overspray of the white onto the van ends. Checking against photos though I am inclined to think the van was repainted a more red-brown than bauxite.

BOC4.jpg

Accessories: Replacement oval buffers, cosmetic instanter coupling. Train air and reservoir pipes, spare handrail, pressure ring cover, safety valve cover, handbrakes.

• Like 9

Many thanks for this Andy.

I have tentatively ordered several from Olivias, but have heard nothing for many months, after an initial exchange to confirm precisely what I needed. Have they indicated a release date? Or are these EP's?

Thanks

The TEA tanks look great but at £75 each I can't see me ordering many. I remember seeing long trains of these going west at Newport in the very early morning behind a Transrail 56. Were they run in short trains or in the consist of Speedlink workings?

John

The TEA tanks look great but at £75 each I can't see me ordering many. I remember seeing long trains of these going west at Newport in the very early morning behind a Transrail 56. Were they run in short trains or in the consist of Speedlink workings?

John

These might be of use:

https://flic.kr/p/vGLnoy

2034977131_7fd217161b_z.jpg?zz=1po-84635-boc-TEA-Whitemoor-1985-09 by Huw Millington, on Flickr

25301274377_1c1a277929_z.jpg40150 (KD). LV45 trip from Garston to Arpley Yd at Arpley Jn (Warrington) on 080684 by Michael Hart, on Flickr

25945316181_f1e319c10b_z.jpghoo by Roger Goodrum, on Flickr

• Like 2

I'm tempted to obtain two of these for a Speedlink working but the customer service and price put me off. That Barrier van is the wrong colour, it should be the same red as the BOC symbol, £65 for an inaccurate respray is terrible.

Edited by bescotbeast

I'm tempted to obtain two of these for a Speedlink working but the customer service and price put me off. That Barrier van is the wrong colour, it should be the same red as the BOC symbol, £65 for an inaccurate respray is terrible.

Depends what period you are modelling - they certainly did not need barrier vehicles by 1982, but I do not know when the requirement stopped - someone, somewhere on this thread has given a date. I certainly won't be buying any barriers.

As for cost of the tankers - I looked at bashing some TEA's some years past, and the costs (depending on how much you are prepared to compromise) including stripping/painting and commissioning transfers, did not come to much less than this. But it was also the time and skill needed to get even close to the results that Olivias appear to have achieved, that suggested to me that if I wanted them as an important part of my fleet, I was going to have to pay.

• Like 3

Depends what period you are modelling - they certainly did not need barrier vehicles by 1982, but I do not know when the requirement stopped - someone, somewhere on this thread has given a date. I certainly won't be buying any barriers.

As for cost of the tankers - I looked at bashing some TEA's some years past, and the costs (depending on how much you are prepared to compromise) including stripping/painting and commissioning transfers, did not come to much less than this. But it was also the time and skill needed to get even close to the results that Olivias appear to have achieved, that suggested to me that if I wanted them as an important part of my fleet, I was going to have to pay.

I hear what you're saying but the bad feedback and the comments posted earlier put me off.

Put a motor in it and call it a locomotive no one would even mention the price!

Mark Saunders

I hear what you're saying but the bad feedback and the comments posted earlier put me off.

I don't dispute their mixed reputation, but they are the only outfit that has bothered to try to model this as RTR, so they get the benefit of my suspension of disbelief, until or unless it all goes rear-end upwards.......

I have followed the thread regarding people's varied experiences with Olivia's and have ordered over the phone with them once and been to the shop once (both positive experiences).  For what it's worth, my opinion is if these wagons are something you want and you're happy to pay the price asked then order them!  I know little about these wagons but Andy Y's pictures show well what you'll be getting and they seem good when comparing them to prototype pictures.  

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 1

They also ran as one or two wagons to locations such as Falmouth (nitrogen for tank-purging) and Ipswich.

Pair worked to Norwich - where they are unloaded into a road trailer https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/boctank/e3326fda5 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/boctank/e2e9b7c15

and Ipswich - also with a road trailer alongside

And in Sheerness Steel  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/boctank/e32381f5c  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/boctank/e6db7bf1b

Plenty of other singletons on there

Paul