Third-Rail EMU Photos

attachicon.gifimg124.jpg

4-VEP at London Bridge - probably in 1971

attachicon.gifimg619.jpg

NSE liveried 4-VEP no.3138 heads south through Gatwick Airport on a Brighton Line service during February 1989.

Hi Bingley Hall,

That VEP in img124 jpg  looks like it is suffering from the effects of too much carriage washing fluid residue, which has caused the stripey paint effect on the sides.  A paint condition you do not see modelled very often.  

How come contemporary units always look so clean?!

• Like 2

Perhaps it's a number of factors such as modern paints, more regular cleaning ( to promote brand), less atmospheric pollution (due to smokeless zones and no burning of coal in close proximity), regulay livery repainting/updates, etc.

G.

Hi Bingley Hall,

That VEP in img124 jpg  looks like it is suffering from the effects of too much carriage washing fluid residue, which has caused the stripey paint effect on the sides.  A paint condition you do not see modelled very often.  

That would be the famous Exmover. Oxalic Acid brand of Carriage Cleaning fluid, which was good for getting brake dust off. Unfortunately it affected the dull/matt finish rail blue quite badly, bleaching out the blue pigment of the paint. The gloss rail blue was more resilient, but even that could suffer if the carriage washer didn't do a good job of rinsing off the surplus afterwards. (you could see white patches on the stepboards). I was surprised to find that Exmover is still available. At one time you had to frequently check the Exmover content of the Carriage Washers, by taking a small sample and adding a tablet and noting the colour afterwards to monitor the strength. These days I think that stuff like Autoglym is used which is less acidic?

Andy.

Hi Andy, Re. Semaphore signals on the South Coast:

Perhaps it is too late, as it seems that modernisation has sought out and eradicated many of these structures, but there were still some semaphore signals around Newhaven Town/Harbour and one at the Marine station. It was 2013 when I last went down to the area. At that time both the signal boxes were in operation.

Colin

Edit: Having looked at Claude's Southern semaphore signalling topic, it seems all those signals I mention could be long gone.

Edited by Colin parks

Perhaps it's a number of factors such as modern paints, more regular cleaning ( to promote brand), less atmospheric pollution (due to smokeless zones and no burning of coal in close proximity), regulay livery repainting/updates, etc.

G.

and critically, no more braking with cast iron block brakes.

• RMweb Premium

Semaphores still to be found at Littlehampton and Bognor Regis just a fifteen minute ride apart on a 313. They can't replace them as they are listed structures apparently.

• Like 1

Hi Colin and John, thanks for heads up. Will make a point of taking a trip to both. Cheers, Andy

One  more possibility for you Andy is Pulborough.  Though if that area around the station still has its semaphores, I do not know.  

Colin

Not any longer I'm afraid. They were removed a couple of years ago.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70804-photos-of-semaphores-on-the-southern-in-sussex/

Shame. I have pictures somewhere which I took at Pulborough in the mid-2000s. There was a rather spectacular floral display on the signal box maintained by the signalwoman there for few summers running.

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

• RMweb Premium

I want to know where the (presumably recycled) LSWR lattice post that was at the country end of platform 2 at Amberley went along with the signal arms.  I suspect that not all of it went in a skip....

A few more of my photos, some being a bit grainy as they are older scans of the originals.

attachicon.gifDSCF3539.JPG

Old meets new. Waterloo July 2013

attachicon.gifSR90004 Full House.jpg

Full House. Engineering works blockade, Late 1980s

attachicon.gifSR90005.jpg

Water shortages late 1980s. Several sets of stock were loco hauled over the Marshes to St. Leonards to be put through the washer. To be honest, without 'hand bashing' first it was a bit of a waste of time.

attachicon.gifSR90008 2PB St. Leonards.jpg

'I wandered lonely as a 2EPB'. On Saturdays in the late 1980s Several EPBs worked down to Hastings on Mail Workings. On this occasion one ended up at St. Leonards.

attachicon.gifSR90016.jpg

Another grubby 8CEP arrives for a wash and brush up (without the brush up unfortunately)

attachicon.gifSR90019.jpg

A Jaffa CEP waits to leave St. Leonards on a Saturday afternoon in the late 1980s

attachicon.gifSR90020C.jpg

Push-Pull VEP between Doleham and Winchelsea for 'Ashford 150'

attachicon.gifSR90072.jpg

A 4 CIG rattles by on the Main towards Eastbourne while another loco hauled EMU arrives on the Reception Road.

Andy.

A few more

post-31978-0-94432500-1497370662_thumb.jpg

Chart Leacon 2009-10

post-31978-0-74345100-1497370691_thumb.jpg

post-31978-0-20097200-1497370713_thumb.jpg

post-31978-0-73107400-1497370722_thumb.jpg

Bournemouth 2008

post-31978-0-41601000-1497370745_thumb.jpgpost-31978-0-17481600-1497370756_thumb.jpgpost-31978-0-77474100-1497370766_thumb.jpg

Ashford Down Sidings. 2009. Early 'Jav' days.

Andy.

post-31978-0-74321600-1497370783_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Yes it is Peckham Rye

It's always a bit confusing when a loop train is on the return half of the loop and it is still showing a station on the outward, southbound portion of the journey. This train would have gone out by Forest Hill, Sydenham and Crystal Palace, before swinging round through Gipsy Hill, Tulse Hill and the three Dulwichs. This is all from memory as we left London seven years ago.

Hi Phil,

These last few posts just go to show the diversity of units and liveries extant on the contemporary rail scene.  There are not many of those liveries that I would fancy attempting when painting a model (though the Southern livery on a 313 looks do-able).

Out of interest, could someone tell me roughly how many different types of EMU are currently operational on the old Southern Region network?  

Colin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

These last few posts just go to show the diversity of units and liveries extant on the contemporary rail scene.  There are not many of those liveries that I would fancy attempting when painting a model (though the Southern livery on a 313 looks do-able).

Out of interest, could someone tell me roughly how many different types of EMU are currently operational on the old Southern Region network?  

Colin

Have you seen the sides of the Coastway 313s?

post-14351-0-33243200-1497391694_thumb.jpg

• Like 6