Third-Rail EMU Photos

Interesting.I did not realise the 325s were dual-voltage; although I suppose it was logical for them to be so. Are they still in use?

They are apparently a Thameslink unit in a different body shell!

There is also a Low Fell to Willesden that is currently running!

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

One of the last Semaphore Distants, now sadly gone, anyone for a guess where?

attachicon.gifSLWMA843 Bexhill.JPG

Andy.

The only station with a footbridge like that is I think Collington. I took pictures of the Bexhill semaphores just before they were replaced. To qualify for this thread here's one with a 377. The signals are in the distance.

post-14351-0-61610600-1497879502_thumb.jpg

and here's one with just the signals. 

post-14351-0-39466400-1497879365_thumb.jpg

We still have the Newhaven Marine starter, although the station buildings have now gone. The Marine station is used as a headshunt when they cut services short at Newhaven Harbour and need to get them onto the up line.

The semaphore signal is just to the right of 313205

post-14351-0-46033900-1497879789_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 10

The only station with a footbridge like that is I think Collington. I took pictures of the Bexhill semaphores just before they were replaced. To qualify for this thread here's one with a 377. The signals are in the distance.

attachicon.gifSouthern Railway 377 160 Bexhill 20 1 2015.jpg

attachicon.gifSemaphore signals before replacement Bexhill 20 1 2015.jpg

We still have the Newhaven Marine starter, although the station buildings have now gone. The Marine station is used as a headshunt when they cut services short at Newhaven Harbour and need to get them onto the up line.

attachicon.gifSouthern 313205 Newhaven Marine 7 6 2014.jpg

On the Down Line approaching Collington, spot on!

Andy.

attachicon.gifSouthern Railway 377 160 Bexhill 20 1 2015.jpg

attachicon.gifSemaphore signals before replacement Bexhill 20 1 2015.jpg

attachicon.gifSouthern 313205 Newhaven Marine 7 6 2014.jpg

Is that a signalbox with air conditioning? And I notice the occupant prefers the open window.

• RMweb Gold

Is that a signalbox with air conditioning? And I notice the occupant prefers the open window.

The Seaford 150 celebrations were on two hot days, but I expect the signaller just wanted the smoke from Oliver Cromwell (Saturday's steam attraction) or the Black Five on the Sunday, to waft into the box. They went up into the Marine Station to take on water from an ESFRS' bowser. Well OC did. I assume 44932 did as well. Pictures of Seaford 150 are available!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/4266-seaford-150-celebrations/

Edited by phil_sutters

• RMweb Premium

Oddly the Bognor 150 celebrations a week earlier were decidedly dull and disappointing by comparison.  No special trains or anything like that at all, 

Precursor to The Overground - a Silverlink Class 313 unit at Kensington Olympia on what I seem to remember was a Willesden Jct to Clapham Jct service - 20 January 2006 (click to view full screen)

post-4406-0-55073800-1498001293_thumb.jpg

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

No it will be for the relay / locking room under the operating floor

Afraid not (the clue being pipes running from the units to just below the windows) - many traditional signal boxes have been fitted with such devices (along with suspended ceilings in some cases) in a mid to make things more comfortable for their inhabitants. I believe that part of this is driven by modern workplace regulations, partly by the safety angle (as in "it was too hot so I lost concentration and let a user across the line at a foot crossing when I shouldn't have type of thing") and partly by the ability of the Unions to get better deals out of certain bits of the 'privatised' railway than they were ever able to do under BR.

The fact that the signaler on duty at the time the photo had the windows open means nothing - Reigate signal box has air-conditioning and some signallers still have the windows open (with the air con turned off) because it suits them.

The undersides of signal boxes in any case tend to be relatively cool places anyway due to their inherent design and they also don't tend to be used very much for installing realys in etc. Its far more effective to put such signalling in stand alone cabinets / portable buildings as they can be built / wired up in a factory, tested, etc then simply craned into place. Unfortunately (and as you are no doubt well aware) unlike the brick bases of traditional signal boxes, such structures are not very good at coping with high or low external temperatures nor at dissipating any heat that may build up within - hence the widespread use of air-conditioning units on such modern structures.

Edited by phil-b259

New SWT (but not for much longer) Class 707s have started mileage accumulation runs from Clapham Yard to Bournemouth Depot. Here we see a pair this afternoon approaching Branksome, before reversing in the station to drop down to the depot.

attachicon.gifP1030303.JPG

I saw a few of these SWT class 707s on Wednesday at Clapham Junction pulling in to the platforms and leaving heading towards Waterloo.

G.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Phil,

In the 70s, someone wittily painted 'Bongville' on one of the up platform running in boards here (they appear not to be there any longer).

Colin 

..........but it was still visible there in 2011 - but had been painted out by the time of Seaford 150 in June 2014

post-14351-0-28023300-1498514560_thumb.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 5

..........but it was still visible there in 2011 - but had been painted out by the time of Seaford 150 in June 2014

attachicon.gifBishopstone Beach Halt grafitti 7 3 2011.jpg

OK ,OK, it was on the down platform Phil!  Age is playing tricks with my memory.  

There used to be a lot of parties down on the eastern beach on summer evenings back in the 70s.  The name must refer to those 'goings on' further down the lane from the erstwhile Bishoptone Beach station.

Colin

Edited by Colin parks

• RMweb Gold

OK ,OK, it was on the down platform Phil!  Age is playing tricks with my memory.  

There used to be a lot of parties down on the eastern beach on summer evenings back in the 70s.  The name must refer to those 'goings on' further down the lane from the erstwhile Bishoptone Beach station.

Colin

Lucy in the sky with diamonds! But that was the 60s and I was in London! The 70s were mortgage and family years. People my age in London now can't afford the rent let alone save for a deposit.

Lucy in the sky with diamonds! But that was the 60s and I was in London! The 70s were mortgage and family years. People my age in London now can't afford the rent let alone save for a deposit.

Hi Phil,

On reflection, surely the painted name on that sign cannot have lasted all these years without someone having retouched it?  Seeing as some philistine has painted it out, it falls to you as the closest RMweb member to uphold the Bong Ville tradition: get down there to Bishopstone Beach with a two inch brush and a tin of white paint and...

Colin