RMweb

Being very pedantic, as we all are, this unit is standing on the most southerly point of the Northern Line...

Though I suppose some might argue that the Northern Line ends at the southernmost point of the platforms in Morden station, and what lies beyond are just sidings, not part of a "Line".

P1520044 (2).JPG

• Like 14

20 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Being very pedantic, as we all are, this unit is standing on the most southerly point of the Northern Line...

Though I suppose some might argue that the Northern Line ends at the southernmost point of the platforms in Morden station, and what lies beyond are just sidings, not part of a "Line".

P1520044 (2).JPG

Indeed!  After I'd posted it I thought someone would say that!  😉 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

I am convinced the dual electric 377/2's are seeing more of the Sussex Coast than they are of anywhere with overhead wires at the moment!

Southern Class 377/2 377209 Chichester 20/8/23

I took one look and thought "That's Chi!", yet I haven't stood by that crossing since 1972, when I had a girlfriend at Bishop Otter college, with digs in North Pallant. Odd. 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

I took one look and thought "That's Chi!", yet I haven't stood by that crossing since 1972, when I had a girlfriend at Bishop Otter college, with digs in North Pallant. Odd. 

Well done!  Hasn't changed all that much, they have been trying to demolish the whole of Southgate and rebuild it on and off for the last forty years and every plan has failed miserably.  Bishop Otter College went upmarket a few years ago and became University of Chichester.  My Mum went there in 1968...

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

And such a lovely, well preserved, 'bus station near-by.  Although I expect this has probably been sold, demolished, and re-developed by now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I am convinced the dual electric 377/2's are seeing more of the Sussex Coast than they are of anywhere with overhead wires at the moment!

Southern Class 377/2 377209 Chichester 20/8/23

That third rail shoe is very close to the tarmac.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, C126 said:

And such a lovely, well preserved, 'bus station near-by.  Although I expect this has probably been sold, demolished, and re-developed by now.

The bus station is still there, along with the garage opposite.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, KeithHC said:

That third rail shoe is very close to the tarmac.

Keith

That tends to happen at level crossings since, by definition, the road surface is level with the top of the running rails.  There is a good couple of inches clearance, though.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

a very nicely presented bus.

... and in the old 'Southdown' colours as well.  Clearly an omnibus company of class.  🙂

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

I believe the Emsworth bus company is no longer in existence. A shame as the example shows a very nicely presented bus.

Correct. They got into a "spot of bother" with the Traffic Commissioners. I recall one day Vehicle Inspectorate examiners pouncing on one of their Darts at Havant Bus Station and whacking in temperature sensor probes to the rear brake drums to test for brake imbalance. Immediate prohibition issued. They had a number of ex-Stagecoach Darts and also used to come and pick up engines and transmissions from crunchers. I've probably driven that very bus if someone can provide the allocation history. 

But they did look very smart in pseudo-Southdown livery.

Depot now in use by Portsmouth City Coaches. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

To return to 377s - albeit in somewhat distant views. In the lengthy process of waiting for just the first four entrants in the 2023 Lewes to Newhaven Raft Race, I saw several Seaford/Brighton trains running along the line just north of Days Sidings. The raft in these shots was the third placed and the least exotically decked out. To see the other three you can visit my snaps on my ipernity pages. http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/1289376/@/page:5:18   http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/1289376/@/page:6:18

Alternative modes Lewes to Newhaven 20 8 2023.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

That's the NHS unit, 377111.

There were subsequent shots as it crossed over that showed more of the NHS vinyls, but I wasn't aware of the unit's number. Thanks.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Former Brighton Belle Pullman parlour first “Vera” which is now a part of the Belmond fleet is towed through Clapham Junction by 67006 on Monday 21st August en route from Stewarts Lane to Eastleigh (Arlington) for a heavy overhaul. 

IMG_4549.jpeg.388b6a483de9e6172ffb5f829f1b1bcc.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, phil_sutters said:
22 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

That's the NHS unit, 377111.

There were subsequent shots as it crossed over that showed more of the NHS vinyls, but I wasn't aware of the unit's number. Thanks.

377111 was chosen because its number matches that of the NHS non-emergency phone number. West Midlands 350111 and I believe others also got the same treatment.

The other “special” which can often be identified at a distance is 377101 which has poppy emblems in place of the  normal Southern ones. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

377111 was chosen because its number matches that of the NHS non-emergency phone number. West Midlands 350111 and I believe others also got the same treatment.

The other “special” which can often be identified at a distance is 377101 which has poppy emblems in place of the  normal Southern ones. 

Thameslink has 700111 and Great Northern has 717011 (nearest they could get to a 111 number).

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Keeping with the theme, a chance encounter at Three Bridges about 10 minutes ago. 'Pride' 700155 and 'NHS' 700111 await their respective north-bound departures. A hastily grabbed picture on my phone as my south-bound train was in the platform (a non-distinct 377116) and about to depart...

IMG_20230824_194428.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

For some inexplicable reason, my seven year old wanted to do a circular tour of the London Overground network today!!

Including Clapham Junction:

London Overground Class 378 378203 Clapham Junction 24/8/23

...and Crystal Palace:

London Overground Class 378 378152 Crystal Palace 24/8/23

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

For some inexplicable reason, my seven year old wanted to do a circular tour of the London Overground network today!!

Including Clapham Junction:

London Overground Class 378 378203 Clapham Junction 24/8/23

...and Crystal Palace:

London Overground Class 378 378152 Crystal Palace 24/8/23

Made a nice change from traipsing up and down the South Coast I would have thought, but then as a temporary Londoner for forty years of my working life, I do like to catch up with the London transport scene from time to time. They do seem to keep their stock clean and tidy.

• Like 5