Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Premium

Some from Waterloo East I got 3 out the last 4 Southeastern units I need for sight within 15 minutes of arriving I don't get that lucky very often I bet the last one will take me an age to get 

John

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

This morning at Chichester, London Bridge bound (Victoria was shut for engineering works - again!)

Southern Class 377/1 377161 Chichester 7/5/23

As an aside, 313 Scrap-Ex moves have appeared in the system for the next couple of weeks for Hove Yard or Lovers Walk to Eastleigh which seems to suggest that 201 and 208 will be going as soon as early next week and there is a chance that others may be pulled before the 20th of May.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

This morning at Chichester, London Bridge bound (Victoria was shut for engineering works - again!)

As an aside, 313 Scrap-Ex moves have appeared in the system for the next couple of weeks for Hove Yard or Lovers Walk to Eastleigh which seems to suggest that 201 and 208 will be going as soon as early next week and there is a chance that others may be pulled before the 20th of May.

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:X26378/2023-05-09/detailed

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:X26379/2023-05-09/detailed

Seems they are going under their own power?

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, decauville1126 said:

Most will be able to, 208 is a non runner though but that could be sandwiched in between two runners easily enough for a one way trip.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see my office in the background of the last shot, @jbqfc.  I'm normally sat somewhere towards the far end, so we not only have the four SE tracks, there are also the two routes to Blackfriars combining practically outside the window.  It's a good job there isn't much variety or I'd never get much work done.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

On nights again...

20230508_031105.jpg.8b11ec6689f64029ff75f69c4e237525.jpg

313205 and 313213 in Bognor Regis at about half two this morning. 

Not long left for these veterans now.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Gricers apart, is anyone gonna miss the 313s? In the course of my duties, I rode them on the DC between Euston & Watford, on the entire NLL, and even Moorgate to Hertford North (meetings at County Hall). A most forgettable train. 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I like driving them but from a passenger comfort perspective, they are years beyond their scrap by date.  The general consensus among the regular travelling public is that they cannot wait to see the back of them but they have attracted a new following among some very vocal youngsters who seem to have be going mad every time they see one but who will probably move swiftly onto the next "trendy motive power/stock" that happens to be on vogue, never to be seen on the Sussex Coast again.

The fact remains, they are life expires, worn out as 313213 decided to demonstrate in the early hours of this morning when on leaving Bognor, it threw a hissy fit and shut itself down completely leaving me, four passengers and my guard sitting there in complete darkness for ten minutes until I managed to get it going again!!

One thing that will go though is safety critical guards, when the 313's retire, they become On Board Supervisors and the Sussex Coast becomes 100% DOO.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I realised the end of the 313s would also mean the end of guard duties on Southern. I heard an OBS talking about that on our Arun valley train the other day. He was in training in readiness for his conversion. Perhaps that is the forgotten aspect of these units being retired.

In terms of people missing the 313s, judging by the state of 313211 I travelled on the other day, I very much doubt it. The unit was tatty, both inside and out, and looked thoroughly neglected. That is a shame, because in the past Southern had some pride about them. Their trains were clean inside and out, but that seems less now. 313211 looked very much what it was, a unit on its last legs...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I must admit that the majority of my travels on 313s was cab riding whilst carrying out CSR checks on the GN area, so views on them will be somewhat different to the average fare paying punter, but I liked riding on them - but I was getting paid to do so. 

Edited by iands
Spill chucker
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, John M Upton said:

they have attracted a new following among some very vocal youngsters who seem to have be going mad every time they see one but who will probably move swiftly onto the next "trendy motive power/stock" that happens to be on vogue, never to be seen on the Sussex Coast again.

Waiting with me at Newhaven Harbour for the BLS special, there were half a dozen or so older guys and a slightly larger number of youngsters, including one apparently quite knowledgeable young man from Hong Kong, who was keen to have the location of the former Newhaven Marine station pointed out to him.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brightspark said:

Something from abroad?  I know not quite within topic but the juice is carried on a raised rail.

Hamburg today.

Baumwall station.

20230509_083836.jpg.f078176a63b726c0a19a8671f06929c9.jpg

I’ll bet I can guess what you were doing there…. 😉

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/05/2023 at 11:24, roythebus1 said:

Shanklin, 1968 I think.

Yes.  

When the Ryde - Shanklin line was electrified in 1967 two platforms remained at Shanklin and both were electrified.  The original train plan required a 12-minute headway on peak summer Saturdays although this proved to be very optimistic.  A base 15-minute headway was soon adopted dropping to 30 minutes at quieter times.  

To achieve a 12-minute headway and to allow for the possibility of a unit failing at Shanklin the second platform was electrified but the track was later lifted.  The loops at Sandown, Brading and Smallbrook - St. Johns were adequate for a four-train service of every 15 minutes.  

The 12-minute service also required the operation of the Ryde Pier crossover and used the double track along the pier in order to hold two trains at Pier Head for the main line (one just arrived and emptying, one loaded about to go).  There were originally four platforms there in steam days.  In the later 1960s ferries still crossed two or three times an hour to and from Portsmouth each with a capacity of several hundred passengers.  Peaks days saw queuing at Portsmouth Harbour and Ryde Pier Head as trains arrived and boats filled.  12-car trains arriving from Waterloo (some of which were non-stop to the Harbour or with only one intermediate stop) brought in a boat-load multiple times an hour.  That lot had to be cleared quickly at the Ryde end.  

Most traffic was to and from Ryde itself.  Shanklin was probably the next busiest location all year with Sandown close behind in summer.  

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 5