Model Rail 234 May 2017

dibber25

I haven't really looked at the articles in question as they aren't really my area of interest. I did look at the photos of Liverpool in the boat one though.

I'm just glad the magazine has gone back to having practical articles again rather than being "landscape railways pictorial" like a couple of issues were a while back.

Keep with the practical articles please. It's been much better balanced over the last few months.

Jason

I much preferred the older Model Rail articles where a 'general guide' on something is given and shown in lots of different circumstances (e.g showing how to strip paint/prime a model/apply decals/sound fit and which methods to use in different cases).

I am not a fan of articles which are written by someone who is doing something for the first time and writing about their experience (going DCC, building a layout). I would much rather read something written by someone who has a thorough understanding of a topic or skill (e.g George Dent on Airbrushing).

One thing Model Rail has always been great at is inspiration and layout plans. I want to build the subject of Model Rail's 'Masterplan' almost monthly and these articles are always well researched and a pleasure to read with well drawn plans to suit everyone.

For this reason I continue to enjoy my Subscription

Hi cal.n,  I am deeply concerned about the future of our hobby and believe that if layout plans are interesting, and inspire people of all skill levels to have go, then the  hobby will be much stronger for years to come.  Your kind comments are most gratefully received, in themselves an inspiration for me as an author/illustrator.  Kindest regards Paul  

Thank you for the coolness of your response, Paul. I would have thought after the recent unpleasantness over my 'G6' article, and my response, that the writers might have taken the hint and reined-in their temptation to gratuitous nastiness, but not a bit of it. I'm thinking that we should withdraw from this forum. I did so once in the past but was persuaded back. If I didn't post up the contents every month, there would be nothing to prompt the spite. I've always told those who write for magazines that they are doing the modelling equivalent of sticking their head above the parapet and there will always be someone there to snipe at it. After 50+ years in the business, you get used to it but it doesn't make it any less hurtful. I wonder if these gentlemen have ever put forward any of their work for publication? (CJL)

Hi Chris, Can I just start by saying a massive thank you for your support, it's typical of just one of the many benefits of being part of the Model Rail team.  My experience of communication with rmweb members, has in the main, always been a very positive one.  I've made numerous friends, and always received really helpful responses to all manner of questions, not only on the public forum, but in private messaging and email too.  However,  since joining it's clear there's a minority of members who seem to have set themselves up as judge, jury and executioner.  In their postings, communication skills are often lacking and usually have a complete absence of any pleasantries (and pleasantries are an essential, I think, in any hobby), they're usually ill informed and I can only assume  aimed at undermining rather than seeking a positive outcome.  It's a great shame because I suspect most have much to offer (and learn), but just can't find the right way!  Fortunately, it's a minority, and not typical, and as such it would be easy to discount them....and I know you'd agree, because you're right, there's no excuse for such rudeness.  Like you, I've considered ending with rmweb, or perhaps even reporting several people to the administrators, and maybe that will be the final outcome...it's in the balance for me at the moment too.  On a positive note, it's important that we work hard to support everyone in the hobby, leading by example, the more people we bring with us, the more successful we will be and the more it will help the modelling fraternity.  I am warmed by a heartfelt apology received from a member in this most recent matter, because amongst the insults there were some useful points, and I will include them in a development of the Swing Bridge project.  In closing, can I just repeat the sentiment from the first sentence and say thank you for all you do, the wealth of knowledge you bring to us all and the inspiration that you share.  With my very kindest regards, Paul

• Like 2

Like you, I've considered ending with rmweb, or perhaps even reporting several people to the administrators, and maybe that will be the final outcome...it's in the balance for me at the moment too.  

I understand how you feel and how frustrating it can be at times. Rest assured that we who provide the site, free of charge to use, are not immune from criticism, abrasive tones, people who think they are being clever or those who are just generally obnoxious in demeanour. As you say the vast majority are decent sorts though and we make the site available for anyone (who's not blotted their copybook) to use. Obviously, as a competitor, there's a benefit to be derived from having a presence here, something we've always made available as it is of interest to readers. It is notable that topics relating to magazines that don't have some form of formal or informal presence here don't get raise a lot of comment. As the adage says, that's even worse than being talked about.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Model Rail readers and fans of the wonderfully talented Chris Nevard may be interested to know that his latest creation, Fountain Colliery set in the Forest of Dean will be making its debut at the MMRGs Warminster show on June 17. Details can be found here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118457-mmrg-warminster-show-june-17-2017/

Jerry

• RMweb Gold

I don't get this fascination with numbers. 20 inclines , 18 branch lines. So what? Wouldn't you be better covering one or two in detail. To me these articles are designed to be eye catching but are just not substantial enough.

I agree, and I made a similar point regarding changes to BRM elsewhere on here.

Another mag unrelated to railways but from the BRM stable many years ago went down the "10 things you must/have/buy" (strangely all available from major advertisers in the mag) and '10 lists we rehashed from a few months ago' route. I don't want to be told what to think or do, and personally I find the cover wording a bit irritating. I don't like being told what is "inspirational". Like beauty it is surely in the eye of the beholder. I get inspired by real people doing real stuff, not sub-eds telling me what they think.

Surely modelling is a personal thing and the who "10 things you must do" culture is arguably the antithesis of this? I

I have flicked through this issue on the shelf and it is not for me so didn't buy. I preferred how it was 6-12 months ago. Obviously this is just my personal view as a punter who buys' mags on spec.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As an overseas  subscriber, I'd like to add that the articles I look forward to, and return to, most often are those of Paul Lunn - whether layout design concepts or other examples of modelling ingenuity. Long may they continue!

• Like 2

As an overseas  subscriber, I'd like to add that the articles I look forward to, and return to, most often are those of Paul Lunn - whether layout design concepts or other examples of modelling ingenuity. Long may they continue!

John, What can I say, I'm blessed with a great job that's an absolute treasure to do, and I get paid for it too!  I try my very hardest to give readers the very best of design and creativity and do my utmost to be inclusive on every project.  To get such comments as yours is just the icing on the cake and I am extremely grateful for what you've said.  Many thanks Paul

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Visiting a friend in Scotland I was able to look at hiscopy of the May edition. Just inside there is a set of profile coloured drawings of the J70. I was surprised to see red buffer beams. I always thought they should be black. As I'm 500 miles from my  RCTS books to check the livery detail paragraph, would someone kindly check this out for me? I know the loco is in the design stages and plenty of time to correct any details IF they are wrong. Its no a big deal, but I felt I had to ask the question. Apologies If I'm wrong.

Tod

I think it depends on the era. I believe some of the ones that weren't working on the tranway had them painted red. Usually the buffer beams were the same livery as the body side plates.

Some of the livery details are here.

https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/locomotives/j-holden/c53

7134 almost certainly looks like it has red buffer beams in the bottom picture. Assuming that the side plates are painted black.

Haven't we got a thread for this though?

Jason

Visiting a friend in Scotland I was able to look at hiscopy of the May edition. Just inside there is a set of profile coloured drawings of the J70. I was surprised to see red buffer beams. I always thought they should be black. As I'm 500 miles from my  RCTS books to check the livery detail paragraph, would someone kindly check this out for me? I know the loco is in the design stages and plenty of time to correct any details IF they are wrong. Its no a big deal, but I felt I had to ask the question. Apologies If I'm wrong.

Tod

I think you'll find there was a regulation about buffer beams being red, although a painting I have on my wall here depicts a black buffer beam! I'll get that checked but we're not yet at the livery stage. We're still wrestling with dozens of tiny details.(CJL)