00-9 advice needed please

spikey

I'm re-vamping my 00 layout and it's just occurred to me that I could perhaps make provision for a 00-9 line running in to a transfer siding/shed of some sort.  Given that this would be analogue control and totally freestyle "industrial" in the sense that it just has to look plausible as opposed to authentic ...

1  What would be my best bet for a small 4-wheel infernal-combustion-engined loco if my number one priority is good slow running?  I guess it would be a case of buy a chassis and kit-build a body?

2  What would be a sensible maximum gradient for the above pulling no more than 3 "typical" wagons on a more-or-less straight section of track?

3  What minimum radius ought I to reckon on using?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I really have no idea where 00-9 is concerned ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm re-vamping my 00 layout and it's just occurred to me that I could perhaps make provision for a 00-9 line running in to a transfer siding/shed of some sort.  Given that this would be analogue control and totally freestyle "industrial" in the sense that it just has to look plausible as opposed to authentic ...

1  What would be my best bet for a small 4-wheel infernal-combustion-engined loco if my number one priority is good slow running?  I guess it would be a case of buy a chassis and kit-build a body?

2  What would be a sensible maximum gradient for the above pulling no more than 3 "typical" wagons on a more-or-less straight section of track?

3  What minimum radius ought I to reckon on using?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I really have no idea where 00-9 is concerned ...

I am not going to give any advice because I have no experience of NG, but it would help those who can to tell them what period your layout is and what industry would your line be serving. 

Good luck with your NG project.

• RMweb Gold

Peco offer their Crazy track' ,with rough looking sleepers, 9 inch radius set track and points. There's flex track and larger radius points too but note they also offer 'mainline 009' track and points which have neater sleepers and even larger radius points.

Minitrains offer some nice small and very good running diesels and have just released a couple more this week.

Have a look at these:-

http://www.minitrains.eu

http://hobb-e-mail.com/minitrains-515-c.asp

http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalog/MINITRAINS.html

Edited by PaulRhB

I agree  with  Paul  Minitrains do a  good  range   of  small diesels  ( and  plenty  of  steam  engines as  well)   if  you need  to  view  pics these are  available on several websites  such  as  Gaugemaster.co.uk.

there  are a few  other  alternatives  available  form  'Conitinental' manufacturers   such  as  ROCO  the  Roco 0-6-0  rod  drive  diesel  will crawl imperceptibly if  required!

Minimum radius that  some  of  the  small locos  & short  wheelbase  wagons will negotiate is much  less than 9"  but  I would personally try to use 9" as a minimum if  poss.

( I once  saw  a  Minitrains  loco  traversing  a  circle  of  handbuilt track which had been built on a  Vinyl record!!) 

Short  trains will allow  these  locos  to climb quite  step  gradients if  required  1 in 15  should be easily  achievable,  but  would  suggest  that  when  you  get  some  stock & track you  may like  to  experiment before serious  planning  takes  place?

Hope  this  helps :scratchhead: 

That's very helpful indeed, chaps.  Thank you.

I do rather like the idea of trying something a bit wacky unusual on a commercial chassis, so I guess the obvious way forward would be to get one of those Kato chassis and see for myself what the slow running's like.  The reason for my concern about that is down to having only seen 00-9 in the flesh once (at an exhibition) and been amazed at how bad the running was at anything other than flat out or stationary.

If you can wait a little while, Bachman USA have announced a model of 'Rusty' for their Thomas narrow gauge range this year.

This will be a reasonably accurate version of 'Midlander' from the TR and if their Skarloey model is anything to go by, will be ripe for detailing and will run superbly.

If you want steam at any point, I can't recommend the Skarloey model highly enough as a starting point

• 1 month later...

Definitely add as much weight as you can get away with if using a Kato 103 or 104 chassis, as the improvement to the running is unbelievable.

On their own they are either full speed or stopped (mostly) but with some ballast they are a lovely runner.

Les

• RMweb Premium

I

That loco could give you Hell!!!!

Edited by Ramrig

That loco could give you Hell!!!!

Well if its going to be Rusty from Thomas the Tank Engine, then it will be a diseasel, spread by coughs and sneezes! (Can still remember that line 55 years after first reading it!)

Seriously though, I have laid out my Buscot Estate railway to a ruling gradient of 1 in 30 and a minimum of 300mm radius curves. This was based on my previous experience of 009 running.   I am intending to use Nigel Lawton's Simplexes on it and anything steeper would seriously impede their pulling power.  As it is, some old Grafar 08's without any extra ballast can pull 12 wagons up the hill at a reasonable pace.  If ballasting, beware of making the loco too top heavy as it will rock from side to side giving erratic running.

If you really really want good slow running, you can fit radio control to a kit built loco on a Kato 103/104 chassis for about £100 for the complete setup including the transmitter etc. and never have to nudge the loco, or clean the track, ever again!

Frank

Not particularly cheap these days, but I've got a couple of the Lilliput 0-4-0 diesel shunters and they are *very* good runners:

http://liliput.de/en/products/liliput/h0e/diesel-locomotives.html

I have  to  agree,  the  majority  of  the  H0e  locos  by  ROCO, Liliput & Bemo  are  excellent  performers    expensive  but usually  faultless,  unlike  some  other  brands.......