CARROG in 4mm & Ruabon discussion...

coachmann

Are you brave or foolhardy Larry attempting those chimney's is very must a 'dark sooty art'.... I always look at the waiting room chimney stack when I pass, if there's smoke coming out of it I know trains have been running that day .... it's that or they have elected a new Pope  :jester:

Foolhardy is probably the word. Eight days work and a whole day spent on one chimney! I feel a change of direction coming on...

post-6680-0-91321700-1518131591.jpg

• Like 17

If it was easy it wouldn't be a challenge! You only have to build it once, then you can take pleasure in it for ages. I wish I had the skill, patience and steady hand to do something like that. Keep up the good work. Magnificent! Trevor

• Like 2

If it was easy it wouldn't be a challenge! You only have to build it once, then you can take pleasure in it for ages. I wish I had the skill, patience and steady hand to do something like that. Keep up the good work. Magnificent! Trevor

Carrog was built because it had to be. Building buildings is not a pleasurable hobby to me, which is why I am getting them out of the way right at the start. The only challenge was not to jump on it.  :whistle:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Carrog was built because it had to be. It wasn't a pleasure and the only challenge was not to jump on it.  :whistle:

Cor blimey Guv !   :jester:

D.I.Sgruntalled 

There is more time and effort gone into those chimneys than many of us spend at the modelling bench all year!

Cracking stuff, Coachmann, and keep up the good work.

Now.....about that other shed?

Regards

Ian

Cast square design chimneys have been ordered tonight.

Other shed? Ah, I presume you mean the corrugated tin shelter? I have materials for that.  The Down waiting shelter will follow in due course too, and the road over bridge...

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

Carrog was built because it had to be. Building buildings is not a pleasurable hobby to me, which is why I am getting them out of the way right at the start. The only challenge was not to jump on it.  :whistle:

I thought I was alone in feeling that way about buildings. I can see them, appreciate them, think they would make a great model and then - "Oh look a wagon kit!"

Keep posting please, if only to push me on as I am starting my new project by doing the main buildings. Thanks

John 

• Like 4

Done!  The final chimney was built today. Corners were filed square then a fine three-corner file continued the missing cement courses...

post-6680-0-85152500-1518284797.jpg

post-6680-0-59340200-1518284798.jpg

Support were added below the upper storey bay window and support arms to the canopy... 

post-6680-0-70350200-1518284800.jpg

Ready for spraying with Halfords grey plastic primer...

post-6680-0-29797200-1518284796_thumb.jpg

Drainpipes added from Plastuct tubing....

post-6680-0-74910800-1518284799_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

" Begin at the beginning and go on till you some to the end :  then stop".  Lewis Carroll.   So with the garden wall done, I did!  I hope this helps other modellers who want things. Make a start and eventually you will have what you wanted. This took me 11 days......I didn't enjoy making it but I'm glad I built it!

Working with Wills random stone, find the 'repeat' and cut the rounded edges off before making the join....

post-6680-0-13700000-1518374797.jpg

If done to scale, the garden wall would be around 14 inches long in 7mm scale but, as in 4mm, I needed to shorten it to fit in with a shortened platform. So it is just over 8 inches...

post-6680-0-90812900-1518374798_thumb.jpg

The heritage door is marked "Private", but it may originally have been a Gents toilet. That is what I have built anyway. I may yet remove part of the roof for ventilation....

post-6680-0-64998200-1518374807_thumb.jpg

The real Carrog will accommodate 6 Mk.I coaches from ramp top to ramp top. My 4mm version was built to take 5 and the 7mm version will be built to take 4 coaches...

post-6680-0-00019200-1518374801_thumb.jpg

The whole structure is 23½ inches in length....

post-6680-0-58728000-1518374803_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 18

Very interesting looking at the 1910 photo... The lamp posts look very short judging by the woman walking along the platform. Or perhaps it's not so surprising considering how much shorter people were in general then than now.

Lamp posts are 9 feet high. They look slightly taller in some places today because H&S legislates that platform surfaces now have to slope away from the platform edge instead of towards it, and this led to some lamp post bases being left high and dry.

Today, the building was sprayed in its basic colours of sandstone and roof slate...

post-6680-0-27231300-1518452282_thumb.jpg

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 17

I stopped off at Dapol’s shop in Chirk today but managed not to spend anything. They had no 16 ton mineral wagons. I saw the Jinty and Panniers in the flesh and rather like them but as I already have two panniers and one Jinty, not to mention not much ready cash at the moment, i passed up the opportunity. Lunch at Rhug instead.

Paul

• Like 1

The first loco for the new layout - a Minerva Pannier - has been fitted for DCC Sound.  Minerva will supply this loco ready fitted with DCC Sound for a very reasonable sum, but this was not taken advantage of because Larry already had a suitable spare Zimo decoder and also he wanted to try the Zimo twin speaker.

The decoder was to be hard wired direct to the motor and pickups and it was determined that it would fit under the existing pcb platform with a little modification. 

post-14569-0-77298100-1518476704.jpg

After temporarily shielding all the chassis apart from the part to be removed in polythene film and tape, the section of metal between the two pcb platform support posts was removed with a cutting disc.

post-14569-0-14449800-1518476717.jpg

This allowed the decoder to fit between the posts and below the platform, where it was secured with double sided adhesive foam tape.

post-14569-0-66046700-1518476731.jpg

The platform was replaced minus the pcb clips and turned through 180 degrees, then the speaker was secured to it with more adhesive foam tape.  The wires between the motor and the decoder appear to be close to the flywheel in this view but they are positioned as far as possible from the centreline and are well away from the flywheel.

post-14569-0-91156000-1518476746.jpg

Two 1800Uf capacitors were fitted in the pannier tank and connected via a two pin plug.

post-14569-0-97129100-1518476758.jpg

Ready for action - well, after adjusting CVs, fitting plates, weathering, etc, etc !

• Like 15

I stopped off at Dapol’s shop in Chirk today but managed not to spend anything. They had no 16 ton mineral wagons. I saw the Jinty and Panniers in the flesh and rather like them but as I already have two panniers and one Jinty, not to mention not much ready cash at the moment, i passed up the opportunity. Lunch at Rhug instead.

Paul

Saving your pennies for the Heljan Large Prairie I expect Paul. This and the 43XX are locos I am looking forward to running.

PGH phoned this evening to say I now have a chugging Minerva Pannier. I have been happy with YouChoos Flame 12 cube speakers so far, but a Zimo double speaker is being tried out in the Pannier. It will be running on a colliery layout until I build a layout of my own.