A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

ECC Wheal Imogen / Rosevean Station: the expansion

• RMweb Gold

Day 5, 

A little more was achieved before work this morning, attempting to do something about the ridiculous Peco static grass.  The majority of my static grass stocks have all been used up on Brent, however along with a couple of bags of Grass Master's products that I am savings for detailing.    I did however had a little Greenscene spring grass and a half box of dry grass, which ive mixed up with the left over Peco to get a more appealing shade.    

This has only been applied over the more visible areas, a lot of what is currently grass will end up covered in bushes as the layout continues to develop.  I am more satisfied with how it is looking now (although the near side river bank has yet to be treated as I ran out of time).   At lunch this will be finished off, before starting to look at fences.

Looking at photos of the Newquay branch, a lot of the fence is barely visible through the undergrowth.  Which is convenient as it reduces the amount of fence that I will need to build!   I am assuming a fence is not required between the river and the line.  

I will probably just model the fence posts once again, by my calculation fence wire in 4mm scale should be between 0.01mm and 0.04mm depending on the gauge  (so about the thickness of a hair), and I dont see how I am going to robustly model that.  

D72FF73E-4903-4F85-9047-20E644F919B8.jpeg

92CBBA0E-28D7-4B4B-8C4D-6122E691E256.jpeg

CAEA9905-0559-4F03-9683-DBF6751C4B0F.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

And a little more this evening, adding the first layer of bushes (all reused from Wheal Imogen mk1).  These have been glued in position and once dry I can start reshaping and detailing.

371F5632-9CA3-4F05-9E63-BF91E9938E8D.jpeg.f54f7d6d0fece9a2dff7d0dc2b3e82cf.jpeg94A816F1-0268-4F7D-AA82-14C7B97C95BB.jpeg.1298f6c73b0b356c2134e4bc4f595e1c.jpeg

There are not that many major jobs remaining now, potentially with the rebuild finished by the weekend.   One area I am still debating is the edge of the works, whether to continue the bushes between the existing ones or to add longer grass / small weeds.

Remaining jobs:

-Paint rear backscene 

-Glue rear buildings in place / blend in 

-5 mm gap needs filling between right hand rear building and bank

-trim / finish bushes

-fences

-Add new door to RH building plus barrier between it and track

-fix roof on covered area / fit in position

-paint road

-repaint front edge of baseboad

-test fit facia/lighting 

-fit RH exit backscene to fiddleyard 

-general detailing 

-bolts between boards 

-fine tune fiddleyard

I suppose I had also best check if it will all fit in the i3 as well…..

edit: I wasn’t happy with the nearer of the two trees so have moved it back to its original position between the two rail spans of the bridge.

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

To ensure the layout is finished on time I had another day's annual leave today with the aim of cracking on with the majority of the outstanding tasks.

First up was a lot of work on the bushes, cutting and blending in materials along with adding various other colours to hopefully bring it to life.C7B53DBB-04DF-4674-A0B6-2F62BB8345DE.jpeg.f8869886ce90b71321f6224e0b685f3a.jpeg

I am quite pleased with the end result, particularly as the river is not looking nearly as bad as I had anticipated and may with a little more refinement actually do the job.  (That is at least until phase two potentially happens in the future and I have to pour another 4ft of river.)   This involved four or five separate applications 

With that done it was onto various small jobs, including painting a base colour on the road andpainting the remaining bare wood on the fiddleyard.  The side of the right hand building looked a little bare, so I decided to add an extra door to the left hand side opening out next to the track.  A small barrier was soldered up from handrail wire to protect it from the running line. 

0617D2B8-8477-4845-A696-3D0FD8024F53.jpeg.392794d1d1c634c18880ef8ca1076429.jpeg

Finally I have test fitted the arch to the front, I am somewhat in two minds about this now as I had forgotten that on the original layout this was mounted onto the top of the baseboard (and hence was 4 inches shorter than the backscenes which were mounted to the sides.   To ensure I can fit everything in the car I have cut the backscene down by 4 inches, but had planned on keeping the arch at the original height.  It was only after screwing it on that I realised the issue, I am going to leave it for the moment until I have the layout attached to its legs for the first time and can properly gauge the height.

1E85C5DC-679E-40CF-BC6B-8DE0EB27FE4C.jpeg.d63c14212275f1a2d7388c2eb5be050d.jpeg

Talking of mistakes, The Grainge and Hodder baseboard includes two sets of fixing points, one for a 600mm board and another for a 400.   On the right hand side (where I am using my old traverser) this has been set up correctly.  On the left hand side (where it will join with the G&H traverser I bought from @bgman's estate, of course I have glued it on the wrong way round!   Which means I am going to have to drill out a new fixing hole to attach the two boards together.   So much for my plan to set up with the short fiddleyard for some testing!

Testing was the next task on the list, up to this point the only testing had been pushing wagons through the track and checking there were no shorts / everything was wired correctly with the multimetre. For the moment I am using the Lenz kit I bought from the second hand stand at the SWAG day last year (I may or may not have got round to switching it with the Powercab thats currently wired into Brent so I have the "right" controller for each layout.)  It was a relief when everything powered up ok, but I immediately ran into a problem in that I had no idea of the decoder numbers for either loco!   After an hour spent getting Decoderpro to run both 66026 and 60085 were programmed and able to complete testing with no issues found, a particular relief seeing as 66026 had never actually ran since repairing it.  (that said I had best go and check it still has a full complement of axleboxes!)   

Remaining Jobs:

Add fences - along lower edge of clay works and between left hand fiddleyard and river.

General detailing

Paint backscene - This is probably the most important job remaining, and I still cant make up my mind.  I think long term it needs a photo backscene, however this will need a fair bit of photoshop doing to it so that both the road, and the gap between the two buildings blend into the backscene.   I doubt I would bother with a backscene on the sides as I dont think it would look right given the missing track you'd be able to see in the distance.  I have seen others with blue painted side plates and a photo rear backscene looking good.

Shorten legs by 6 inches

Baseboard joints

Put up layout and RH fiddleyard so that "bridge" sections on the fixed section between layout and fiddleyard can be fitted

Repaint front edge of layout black

Fit RH backscene (to fiddleyard board)

Build support for lighting rig (seeing as the end plates to the fiddleyard are no longer high enough to support it).

EA097753-99BB-4C1C-8B8C-0DEBF1BD93FA.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

A quick play with some of my Cavalex CDA this evening while I wait for stuff to dry. 

I now have the first 50 or so fence posts painted and ready to install tomorrow, then will need to do the same again for the works.

576A1F75-0766-49AD-B638-093887A0805A.jpeg

0AFB9600-0F4F-402B-8492-CCC10D09A98E.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Day 7,

Back to work today so not a lot of time for the layout, with the evening not much better.   In the gap between work and gym I have managed to install most of the fences, there is still another foot or so to go (once the next batch of posts are dry).   Still need to decide whether or not to add the wire to them (for the previous reasons around the scale of the wire I am erring toward leaving it off)

0402B7C8-29F6-44E6-BBAE-2B486353915C.jpeg.808eddc4618bf950db033cfec676172f.jpeg

One more job I really want to get done this evening is to touch up the black paint along the front edge 

Late last night I managed another little distraction after painting the fence posts.  With @Southwich shifting to buying up every new Bachmann 37 under the sun, he’s sold me a couple of incomplete conversions.

This gives me a good opportunity to test the full fat Shawplan approach and compare the end result with my hybrid 37510 where the etch was used as an overlay.

One is stripped and will probably end up as an EWS machine eventually, the other in Mainline already has the windows glued in place and just needed finishing.   After rounding the corners and cleaning up the filler it was painted in Rainbow Railways Mainline blue (on grey primer).  Much happier with the colour sprayed on grey than my last Mainline respray on white primer.

I don’t have a chassis for this  loco so the initial plan is to use the chassis from 065.  The question is whether to do this as a replacement for 065 (with split box one end and flush the other) or stick with Will’s intended 37047 which had a split box body but centre box ends with horn grills!  It may be a case of swapping around making the good one 65 and changing the other to 47.  
1F1D15B1-6D72-4865-8A2B-55339E89D979.jpeg.862319f06b283762750d5e465cd1fa95.jpeg

the ends are now in IPA as I was never happy with the overly thick paint, for contrast here is an earlier photo vs the Bachmann windscreen3836D1BF-6074-4A1B-AB71-845B9BC0D36F.jpeg.4b7f4fd49b908df94f8d724138364082.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Day 8

the fences are all complete, there is now a little more scenic work planned to blend in the front edge of the bushes around the fence.  Then it’s just a case of painting the backscene.

With that in mind attention has turned back to stock,

66026 - has been fitted with a Dingham at the other end, and a cv tweak to fix the lighting 

37670 - now fitted with OO wheels, decoder tested, just needs bufferbeam detailing 

37672 - was a pain in the backside to get working due to lighting issues.  Traced eventually to the decoder (which will now get swapped into a steam loco).  Also need bufferbeam pipss

37/0 - still tbc, the first two options both had a need for a 21pin decoder (while I only have 8pins available).  May depend on whether I get 065 glazed in time.

60085- fitted with Dinghams and bufferbeam pipes, lights at one end are refusing to work and need more attention.

47xxx - still pending decoder fit

150xxx - still pending decoder fit

Sentinal - programmes ok, but refuses to move.  Needs investigation 

F6B6232E-FA55-4CCE-8E5A-9A9970442ADA.jpeg

258715C8-EFF3-4B39-B609-53054745BE06.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

More small jobs out the way this morning, 

First up the next 37 is now ready for testing, seeing as it’s unlikely that 37065 will be finished in time I have decided to get 37057 ready instead.  Annoyingly it’s another 21 pin chassis and I only have spare 8 pin decoders, (it’s also missing its cab lights).   Simple solution, solder up a replacement board hard wiring the decoder.  This gives the extra benefit of having separate tail light control.  (I will need to do the same modification on the other two eventually)
This still needs an extra Dingham soldering up and bufferbeam details.

Next up the 150, the plan was to fit the new door open warning light prints (after drilling out a hole for a future LED fit).  Of course it’s another 21pin decoder, worse still mine is missing 2 of the power leads that connect the front light to the chassis.   In the longer term this wouldn’t be an issue as I plan on using this chassis for 950001 and the kit chassis for the RR one, however the plan is to use the Bachmann chassis for Calne.  More thought needed….

Finally a new wagon, Thanks to Rainbow Railways I am really pleased to have  a production sample of one of their new TUA china clay tanks to use at the show.  I have fitted it with a set of Dinghams and it’s good to go (although after Calne it will be getting a full weathering)  All versions are still available to pre order for delivery soon  BFA745D0-7973-4E75-9D7B-E1E68B2AFF2A.jpeg.d0fff942526b04c36bf6aa9aeff9e4ff.jpeg2CA57885-72F8-4FF3-B754-DEEC8B645F79.jpeg.32671fa5c1b553923abb5dc4c0a26862.jpeg

The new TUA alongside one of my own TTA, although I’ve just spotted that I’ve yet to paint one of the uprights on the handrail for the slurry loader .

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

37057 has now been fitted with a set of new 3d printed fuel tanks, I need to test one of my lowered locos to see how well they perform in OO before lowering this one.  My concern is that without the very large radius curves used in P4 there may be interference between bogie and the fuel tank print.   
While working on the fuel tanks I have also swapped the printed tanks from my test loco onto 37672 so that all the locos in use will have a good underframe.

The 150 only gained minor work (touching in the blue around the door open lights).  I think I will be sanding down and respraying the blue stripe on this unit later in the year as the mismatch between Bachmann and Phoenix Regional Railways blue is bugging me (and I’m not convinced can be blended in with weathering.)  For Calne it will have to do.

Finally a look at class 47s, like the 60s not exactly common on the branches so I will only bring the one with me.  I had planed on an RFD loco given I am pleased with its weathering, but the lighting is a mess (both bodies bought second hand without lights and fitted to class 57 chassis).  Instead I am erring toward either the large logo grey loco or Res (the latter being used on clay by St Blazey for a short time in the late 90s)

My aim is to have the loco fleet for Calne all up and running today, before cracking on with the remaining fiddleyard work in the week.

• RMweb Gold

Seems like the decoder in 37057 is faulty, as the lights on one end are refusing to work while the tails at the working end are permanently dimly lit (but come on bright when you turn the function on).  All lights worked when tested before starting.   I had another loco perform in a similar way, I don’t think I have mixed things up and fitted the dodgy chip a second time.  (Seeing as the motor controls are fine the chip can be transferred into a steam loco).

Speaking of dodgy lights, the issue on 60085 has been traced to a dodgy light board. For now I’ve swapped out with the cab assembly from 60081 from the display case) and the loco is good to go.

The two finished 37 have been fitted with their buffer beam detail and are good to go, while the Res 47 just needs Dinghams adding

CE48D640-B034-4C60-909E-7B9C9EEF85CF.jpeg

8AA4E27A-3575-4C80-8A51-8219269AF537.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A little more loco work this evening, I’ve been having a lot of issues with older decoders, however now after several resets I think I have 4 of them working.  The first went into my resprayed 37403, the next went into  Loadhaul 37710.   This actually uses the original 37 chassis with modified bufferbeams (as the design is different). This just needs the bufferbeam detail adding before gluing it back into position.  37710

did not have a pcb installed, so it has been hard wires in (with separate control of the tail lights).

Thats it for loco detailing for now, there are still some wagons that need converting back to OO (clay tigers and vans) and ideally I could really do with getting the 153 converted.69BF917C-AF71-4F36-8B53-B2048826C1E5.jpeg.83f265ab627c2afcc161dd6f7bd1d20f.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to add the photo of 37403, still probably my favourite of my 37 repaints.  Painting that weathered BR logo is something I don’t fancy doing again!   Assuming my windscreen rebuilds go to plan this will be near the top of the list given I can of course get a perfect colour match.  I think the only time the real thing got to Cornwall in my period was on the Cornish Gnome railtour with a set of blue and cream mk2 air cons that look a nightmare to repaint.  One day maybe…

95391C6A-7B3B-45FC-8AB9-8CAB34CCC778.jpeg.664dcc3fe3b6c431a372f631d80d44c4.jpeg

Next a quick project, the Hornby 153 is a pretty terrible model all round from an accuracy perspective.  But when the alternative is converting the equally terrible Dapol model it will have to do.   
Worse still from memory it comes on to large wheels.  While running in P4 this has been corrected using the Ultrascales of the correct size, however it’s now reverted back to its original wheels.   I have a plan to rewheel it with the correct size wheels, I think the stepped axles from a mk1 Bachmann 37 along with some Romford 10.5mm wheels could be used for the drive bogie axles (while sleeving the 2mm replacement axles for the unpowered end.  Just need to source some wheels…..8C7D32D3-0004-41C3-999C-9DDF979DC852.jpeg.f316e7fcaa458f036efb92ba754e482c.jpeg

For Calne however it can survive on its original wheels, eventually I want to source the toilet half of a 150 to make one of the odd twin sets that were floating around in the late 90s, probably along with sourcing a second 153 to run on its own.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Back to work on the layout, and onto the home stretch…

First up was the legs, before shortening them I wanted to see the layout assembled (easier to cut length off than add it on).  It’s a perfect height for me, but probably too high for the average viewer.  (I think lowering it will add a bit more stability as well as it won’t be so top heavy.)

Legs are built from square timber with a brace at the top and middle (the former assists with setting up).  The logic is that you can add legs to the large fiddle yard on its side, then add the scenic board, then the small fiddleyard.   In practice this appears to be working.

there were a few issues getting the height matched between the two boards (at one point with the scenic board crashing to the floor.  Thankfully the only casualty appears

to be the handrail in front of the rear building which now needs replacing (found mangled in a tree).

With bolt holes drilled and fitted between legs and the first two boards and 10mm bolts joining the fiddle yard to the scenic board it was onto what should have been the easy bit, adding the second G&H board for the small fiddleyard.   My board was a custom size 100mm narrower than their standard 600mm width board from which it is derived.  In theory this should have a capability to connect to a 600mm board (for which I read 500mm) and a 400mm.   However it appears they have removed material from the wrong side as the narrow board fittings are 100mm too close together.

I think the only option is to drill a 25mm hole in exactly the right place to allow for fitting the second fitting (on either of the boards).  Exactly the sort of precision woodwork I am rubbish at doing that made me buy a laser cut board in the first place.  

of course I should have thought of this and specified it when I ordered the board, but that doesn’t make it any less frustrating (seeing as they didn’t ask).   The design of the fiddleyard board gives no access on the outside edges, so the simple solution of filling another 10mm hole through and using a normal bolt isn’t available.

All in all a pretty rubbish end to a rubbish day

0B5547B8-42F0-44DF-AD45-B97186F74A6A.jpeg

089DD0FC-A561-4ABD-89AB-CE760423B5F4.jpeg

edit, a little more thinking and a possible way forward.

I’ve chopped off the rear alignment dowel and refitted the thread flush with the end plate. With a fresher head I will then drill a hole in the scenic baseboard to match, as it’s not being used for alignment in the worst case of I have to enlarge the hole It’s not the end of the world.  The other alignment dowel plus the shelf formed by the baseboard legs should keep everything aligned properly…

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Success, another evening's work and the layout has now been fully put up.  A few more changes were required to get the second fiddleyard added.  First up the second alignment dowel  had to be removed, not only were the bolts fouling upon the traverser mechanism but the board also needed to be mounted ever so slightly lower than the scenic board to get a flush joint between the code 75 and the bullhead track.  

At the other end of the layout the short lengths of track between the traverser and scenic baseboard have also been installed.  Again these were a little tricky to align thanks to both the height differential between the code 75 and bullhead track, and small deviations in height between the fixed and moving parts of the traverser.  (As has been mentioned previously I do intend to eventually replace the fiddleyard with a laser cut one).

While these lengths of trach are not yet wired up (as I want to give the glue time to fully cure before putting even more heat through them), I was able to do a quick test first with an MEA chassis and then with a Cavelex CDA free rolling the wagon from one fiddleyard to the other.   This is the first time on either itteration of Wheal Imogen that a wagon has traversed the whole layout.

Naturally the plan for this evening is to get the short sections wired, plus connect up the 3 boards to the DCC system and run a loco end to end.

C95F576C-BADA-47D7-9692-579C94AE2D92.jpeg.aec8b51b5eee7f5edc4dda66e7419c32.jpeg
A92429D0-8F52-47AF-86E6-536740271A9D.jpeg.dae6bb67239cb5e3b9855714dfabc41f.jpeg

Remaining tasks with just over a week to go:

• Connect wires for fiddleyards to scenic board 
  • Paint backscene
  • Fit an L bracket to the top corner of the backscene to join the two panels
  • Replace the broken barrier in front of the right hand building
  • Reattach the RH side of the arch (which broke off when the layout hit the floor)
  • Fit LH end backscene
  • Fit fiddleyard locking bars
  • Lighting 
  • Shorten legs (although this will probably not be done until the day before the show when the layout is taken down).
Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Trains are finally running, first with 37670 running light engine through the works to test clearances.  this highlighted that one of the wires I had pre soldered to the point had failed so a replacement was quickly soldered in place (the ballast still needs a minor repair as a result.)

Next the same loco arrives with a short set of CDA, runs around the train while it’s loaded and then immediately departs for Fowey.

37672 arrives with a pair of slurry tanks for loading, before finally 37403 powers past the works with a silver bullet.

The videos are on my instragram page here https://instagram.com/p/Cqth6A0tk_u/. I have checked and it should be viewable without an account.

E3F0AE94-F5C9-43B3-9C11-97CF484A69E9.jpeg.7697c3f78daee30e5221fe5f29f9f434.jpeg

Before it’s second show a priority will be getting the tail lights sorted so that they are not always switched on!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

It’s getting there…..

Tonight I have finally finished the rear backscene, using a sheet of ID backscenes grey sky that was leftover from Brent (to be honest it may have been needed still, but needs must and it can always be replaced).

an L bracket has also been added to fix the left hand backscene to the rear.    A 4ft length of ply has been cut to a block along the front of the RH fiddleyard (which just needs screwing on once the layout has been moved.)

BE240434-24B7-4709-9130-4BC82C6116E7.jpeg.7e6b575874f2be0e48905c9bf7c03744.jpeg

Remaining Jobs:

-rebuild barrier in front of rh building 

-fit RH backscene

-fix legs on covered area

-fit front plates to both fiddleyards

- wire in point switch

-potentially add frog juicer to fiddleyard point (tbh it seems to be running ok with a dead vee)

-lighting

-shorten legs 

92A7BEEB-6951-48DE-9348-17F3B0084C31.jpeg

Edited by The Fatadder
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

It’s getting there…..

Tonight I have finally finished the rear backscene, using a sheet of ID backscenes grey sky that was leftover from Brent (to be honest it may have been needed still, but needs must and it can always be replaced).

an L bracket has also been added to fix the left hand backscene to the rear.    One 4 for length of ply has been cut to form a block along the front of the RH fiddleyard (which just needs screwing on once the layout has been moved.)

Remaining Jobs:

-rebuild barrier in front of rh building 

-fit RH backscene

-fix legs on covered area

-fit front plates to both fiddleyards

- wire in point switch

-potentially add frog juicer to fiddleyard point (tbh it seems to be running ok with a dead vee)

-lighting

-shorten legs 

92A7BEEB-6951-48DE-9348-17F3B0084C31.jpeg

Good luck Rich, I thought I was being risky repainting loads of the layout in the 2 weeks before the show but that is nothing compared to your total rebuild!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The rebuild is coming on nicely Rich, brilliant progress! Look forward to seeing it next weekend. I think I may have managed to lay a small amount of track in the time you've done all that!

Ping me a message nearer the time if you still need a hand

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

1.jpg.19fc98a5937dcf6a98332a31f1464357.j 

I will try and get a better set of comparison photos once the layout is set up at Calne, however here is an attempt at a before / after (all be it at different angles).

Putting aside the question of track gauge, I have to say I am a lot happier with the track plan and the general arrangement of the revised layout.  The shift to a rectangular rather than wedge shaped board certainly helps.  (I never really got the benefit of the wedge on the mk1 design, I had always hoped to be able to keep it set up in the study but wide end was the wrong side meaning it just got in the way.)  Once it was moved under Brent the odd shape just made life very difficult to get it in and out of storage (resolved by narrowing the board).

Moving the points off scene also makes a big difference, making it all look a bit more spacious, while I think the curved branch is a bit more interesting to look at vs the straight old version. 

I am seriously tempted now to go ahead an build the second baseboard over the summer, adding a short stop on demand station which would be a hybrid taking in elements of many of the small stations on the branch.  In theory thanks to certain design elements on the main layout, it would be possible for me to use the existing fiddleyard along with just the second board for test purposes given it would be too long to set up at home for more than a few hours in its entirety.   Of course cracking on with the Laira inspired project (which will also share these fiddleyards) is another option, potentially to go back and extend Wheal Imogen at a slightly later date once it has attended a few shows.....

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Running out of jobs to do now, which is probably for the best as Easter has been particularly manic.

Today I’ve ticked off a couple more tasks from the list, making up the blocking panel for the LH fiddleyard and rewheeling most do the remaining freight stock.

66A0A732-A15F-42AF-BD6A-6C7811547148.jpeg.499185ef45bc1e8f23021bbb6834a2cd.jpeg
LH yard: 

68806D10-1D46-4475-88ED-F30A7EB80F5B.jpeg.0c628e13295cbd23474a36c3a5339392.jpeg

RH yard, the slurry train in road 3 can also have 4 more wagons added (currently in the slurry siding on the scenic board 

The point switch has also been wired in and tested making loco testing a lot easier.

there are no locking bars on the fiddleyards, so far through testing that hasn’t been an issue but can be retrofitted (to the RH side at least) fairly easily if required.  At the LH side there is a slight issue, the plan was that I would set the track so that the right hand road of the yard would be aligned at the same time as the two roads on the left.  I then realigned it to the width of the ruler to make life easier getting it straight…..

0E9E18E0-E0A6-4177-9A93-BB3BC6EBC7DE.jpeg.428d05309147b33a6231bc699b325616.jpeg

the broken barrier in front of the RH building has now been replaced.

the only jobs remaining are to screw on the fiddleyard blocking panels and shorten the legs, both of which can’t really be done until Friday when I take the layout down.  I think I will also glue the loading area roof in place as it keeps falling off!

The other main job will be continuing to run in the locos / wheel cleaning.  My aim is to get the core fleet running for a couple of hours each on the rolling road in the background while working this week, before a final wheel clean on Friday.  
The Loadhaul 37/7, Res 47, a silver bullet, single and bogie cargowaggon all need couplings fitting.  The 150 Is short a decoder and the 153 still needs a mechanical overhaul to get the model running again 

I have space for one more storage road on the LH yard and could do with extending at least one more road on the RH yard.  Will aim to buy a length or two of code 75 at the show to plug the gaps on Saturday at the end of the show ready for running on Sunday.  This will allow for getting a little more stock on the board.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

5D7265E2-AE56-4DD6-86F5-332352FE6B6E.jpeg.e994e08df435a92e24e1c236522255eb.jpeg

Continuing with the small remaining jobs, 153327 is now running.   The initial problem was traced to a decoder issue (it had clearly been swapped at some point ending up with the chip from 47768 so no wonder it was unresponsive). 

Once reprogrammed and the wheels cleaned the lights worked perfectly but nothing from the motor.  Stripping it down it was clear that the motor had ceased, so after taking the motor bogie apart with power set to full I manually turned the end of the motor to loosen it up.

The unit was now just showing a few oddities with the lights, all of which was resolved with a factory reset and reprogramming the address.  And with that 153327 is ready for action.

Longer term it does still need weathering, passengers and a custom Wales and West logo for the side, but it will do the job for the weekend 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I mentioned the potential phase 2 expansion previously but didnt manage to share a plan, this is what I am currently thinking.  There are some elements that are a little compromised but I wanted to fit in to justify operational interest.  The idea adds the necessary pointwork to join between the yard and branch, plus adds a short halt along the lines of many of the stations on the Newquay branch.    Due to the constraints of the overall design there is no room to fit in the remains of the second platform / passing loop that would have found based upon the prototype stations on this line.  Luxulian, Columb Road and Bugle have all provided inspiration.

I have drawn it up as a 5ft baseboard, although modelling in 4ft would also work (just incorporating the final 8 inches of headshunt into the fiddleyard as per the other end.  A 1:7 double slip helps compress the track into the works (not exactly uncommon in this context on the prototype in Cornwall), while the point on the branch has now been changed from an A6 to a B7.   This will enable the use once again of the excellent British Finelines range, once again turning to Peco bullhead for the plain track.  

image.png.b29f4351f7c661191e37148cb9677e54.png

The platform could be fitted in two locations, to the left as shown or to the right.  The former has a couple of advantages in that you can fit in the whole platform (including the end signal), and also fit in the houses perpendicular to the line as a scenic brake (based on Luxulian) potentially along with another residence to give more of an impression of the station being on the edge of a village.    My thinking is that this would start just past the road bridge (not connected to it) and have a length of around 170ft.

Option two would move the platform to the right hand side of the layout (pretty much starting where option 1 finishes, but would only model about 2/3 of the length (assuming a five foot baseboard).   It gives the ability to include the disused second platform, my logic is that the original track bed has been reused for the headshunt into the clay works (while the other pointwork has all be realigned since the 60s).  The green area behind the headshunt would be flatter (representing the former goods yard), maybe with the old goods shed converted into some sort of alternate use.  Downside is that it would loose the signal at one end of the works along with having a much less effective scenic brake given the loss of the house that shields the hole in the wall.

Either way I think it should add more operational interest to the layout, though that does come with something of a downside in the extra space needed for transport and a definite need for a larger operating team.  It would also probably need the left hand fiddleyard extending by a foot to allow for a bit more train length on the branch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Calnefoxile said:

@The Fatadder

This is your 2 DAY warning, 2 days till Calne.....

See you Saturday morning Rich 😉

Cheers

Neal.

Other than potentially shortening the legs tomorrow, there is just one remaining issue to overcome....   Working out how on earth I am getting it all in the car!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2