Rapido to announce 1/76 UK bus at scan party

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Seeing as it is an East Kent prototype I suggest you invite the M&D and East Kent bus club. Seriously a confidential word with someone about what the model is intended to be could get you a detailed precisely targetted invite list to maximise impact.

Absolutely - I would suggest a word with Malcolm Keeley.

Edited by ian

Really?

Half the people that use buses don't even seem to notice when one turns up at the stop which is running a short journey.

They get on and then are surprised when the driver shouts "last stop" at the end of it's run.

They then have to get off and wait for the next one running full route, which they could have used anyway!

Keith

If it's only half, then that's 50% of your target audience reached ;-)

Though I do disagree, a heritage bus will get more attention than a new one, though this is a pointless convo as it'll never happen.

• RMweb Gold

Couldn't find anything quite like it on the Neoplan list (maybe long gone) but following the links I found this which is the sort of thing I can remember:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/5b/a2/98/5ba2980e2766755a5764827159ffec7a.jpg

Double ended, dual controls, 4 wheel steering, doors on the front (or should that be the back?) both ends

Keith

Not a type that I have come across and so I don't know whose chassis. But we can clearly see that the bodywork is VanHool.

• RMweb Premium

Not a type that I have come across and so I don't know whose chassis. But we can clearly see that the bodywork is VanHool.

It was a long time back and I can't remember which airport. Maybe Munich in the 70s?

(I've been to quite a few over the years including some pretty basic ones in Egypt and India. But it wasn't those because you had to walk some distance to the aircraft, buses were not provided for the passenger's convenience!)

All the aircraft parked out on the apron and passengers were ferried from the terminal doors to the aircraft

It was back in the day before "Air Bridges" direct to aircraft doors became commonplace and which are much more secure.

Keith

Rode one of these at Dulles a couple of weeks back. Wheelchair friendly loading on the top.

https://robservatory.com/the-semi-hidden-world-of-dulles-z-gates/

Wow that takes me back I rode an earlier version of that sort of transfer vehicle at JFK in 1980, as the Laker Airways Skytrain didn't have a terminal to connect to!

• RMweb Premium

Hi guys,

We'd like to get as many people out to Wythall on July 16th as we can. 

Can anyone give us suggestions as to where we should be promoting this event? We'd like to reach bus enthusiasts who are local to the West Midlands and surrounding area as they are most likely to come. While I love classic British buses, I am a bit of a lone wolf enthusiast being out here in the colonies.

We've announced the event to several bus-related web sites and in Buses Magazine. Any other venues you can recommend?

Thanks,

Jason

The Scottish Vintage Bus Museum is popular with the owners of old buses, who store their treasures there, as well as with the visiting general public. It's a huge place - 40+ acres of a former Government supply depot with bus trips around the site - we visited five years ago and it was pretty fab.

It would be a good place to use to promote a model to bus fans living in Scotland, visiting Scotland and other tourists who happen to be there at the time. The 5 million Scots nearly all live in the central belt, with easy access to the museum.

- Richard.

You could try the trade press - Route One, Bus & Coach Buyer, Coach & Bus Week and Bus & Coach Professional. The Omnibus Society and the Model Bus Federation would also be good outlets.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I've got a contact now at Bus & Coach Week. I will send out information to everyone else as well.

-Jason

The Scottish Vintage Bus Museum is popular with the owners of old buses, who store their treasures there, as well as with the visiting general public. It's a huge place - 40+ acres of a former Government supply depot with bus trips around the site - we visited five years ago and it was pretty fab.

It would be a good place to use to promote a model to bus fans living in Scotland, visiting Scotland and other tourists who happen to be there at the time. The 5 million Scots nearly all live in the central belt, with easy access to the museum.

- Richard.

I will definitely be adding that destination to one of my next UK visits. Wow!

This trip I will be at Wythall and Sandtoft, where I am scheduled to drive a trolleybus for a day. That's my one "day off" on the trip...

-Jason

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looks to me like another model of a half cab that had probably already been modelled. Or something fairly local and obscure. 

Yet models of buses which operated in almost every part of the country are overlooked or modelled badly. 

Anyway I'd like to see a Leyland Olympian with ECW low height NBC spec body, well over a thousand built, which most NBC subsidiaries and a few SBG subsidiaries bought from 1981 to 1986, and some of which are still in service today! 

Note the EFE model is of a normal height Olympian body, and is based on the Titan castings so not that accurate at a detail level. The Corgi OOC model is just terrible!

If your in the UK on the weekend of 9/10th July, there is a big event at the East Anglia Transport Museum, at Carlton Coalville (just outside Lowesoft) to commemorate 30 years since the closure of the Eastern Coach Works (ECW) whose factory was in Lowestoft. Preserved ECW bodied buses are coming from all over the country, so perfect to see the typical buses you'd have seen across country outside of the major cities operated by Tilling Group, NBC and successors. I'll be there with a preserved 1985 United Leyland Olympian with ECW body.

Edited by richierich

• 3 weeks later...

I've just caught up with this thread.

That Fishbowl bus model is certainly a stunning model but the prototype is one hell of an ugly SOB (as the Yanks would say).

G

If you saw one coming towards you on a cold day with the temperature hovering below -18 C you'd think it was the most beautiful thing in the world. I speak from personal experience.

Cheers,

David

If you saw one coming towards you on a cold day with the temperature hovering below -18 C you'd think it was the most beautiful thing in the world. I speak from personal experience.

I'd have thought that at those temperatures any enclosed vehicle would be considered some warming relief, but that wouldn't make it rest any easier on the eyes. Just a personal observation.

G.

Saw a Routemaster-like bus for sale near Ottawa a couple of days ago. My bus recognition is pretty basic, so no idea what it actually is. Tried to get my wife to get a photo but her slow reaction put my nose in it. 

It served as a chip wagon for many years near Manotick, so not sure if it's worth restoration to running condition.

post-25048-0-32403800-1498876828_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaym481

Saw a Routemaster-like bus for sale near Ottawa a couple of days ago. My bus recognition is pretty basic, so no idea what it actually is. Tried to get my wife to get a photo but her slow reaction put my nose in it.

It served as a chip wagon for many years near Manotick, so not sure if it's worth restoration to running condition.

It's still a chip wagon between Manotick and Barhaven in Ottawa (even if it is for sale), it's about five minutes from me as I type in my parents house, I was actually planning on taking some pictures tomorrow or Sunday if the rain stops before heading home to Toronto.

Stephen

It's still a chip wagon between Manotick and Barhaven in Ottawa (even if it is for sale), it's about five minutes from me as I type in my parents house, I was actually planning on taking some pictures tomorrow or Sunday if the rain stops before heading home to Toronto.

Stephen

Thanks. I haven't seen it open since we moved back here, though that may be just a question of timing. Rain is supposed to let up tomorrow. Playing merry havoc with the celebrations on The Hill though.

Thanks. I haven't seen it open since we moved back here, though that may be just a question of timing. Rain is supposed to let up tomorrow. Playing merry havoc with the celebrations on The Hill though.

Yeah, the rain has made a mess of today in Ottawa.

And on driving by again today in a downpour, it may actually be closed fully, it might have been the berry farm trailer in front that made it look open when I passed by Friday.

Either way, hopefully I get a few dry minutes tomorrow morning for some photography in the morning before I hit the road.

Stephen

Jason should buy it  :jester:

I'd say no!! If Janet (Rapido's accountant) hated him buying a bus that runs, this one would be a poor choice for his second.  I was able to take a close look and poke around on Sunday before driving back to Toronto.  There be a big empty space where the motor should be under the hood at the front of the bus.  If Jason wants to get into the Kosher Chip Truck business, maybe, but assuming he intends to remain in making model trains and buses, i wouldn't!!

Couple of better pictures below:

35680139026_e4fab086f4_b.jpg

35680140576_c447e26e91_b.jpg

-Stephen

I'd say no!! If Janet (Rapido's accountant) hated him buying a bus that runs, this one would be a poor choice for his second.  I was able to take a close look and poke around on Sunday before driving back to Toronto.  There be a big empty space where the motor should be under the hood at the front of the bus.  If Jason wants to get into the Kosher Chip Truck business, maybe, but assuming he intends to remain in making model trains and buses, i wouldn't!!

Couple of better pictures below:

35680139026_e4fab086f4_b.jpg

35680140576_c447e26e91_b.jpg

-Stephen

Well it could become the Rapido Staff Restaurant. Jason could then impress his business partners by offering the Rapido Business lunch there in.

Edit: selling Rapido home made Poutines...

Edited by JSpencer