RMweb

Suggestions for station and island platform building kits

Having just built Metcalfe brick platforms, I find their most suitable kits for station and island platforms are stone. Grr! I'm after suggestions therefore for alternatives for the PO238 and PO239 kits of similar size and function but in brick - preferably also in card and therefore not scarily expensive! Era being modelled is BR green diesels; longest platform just about handles five Mk.Is.

• RMweb Gold

i started using scalescenes products but like you are concerned about the printing

i printed a few pavements and roads over the space of a couple of months which have come out different shades due to ink levels in my printer and ive also found that should they get wet they stain easily, even the kids playing cars and doing 'brum brum' noises and a little bit of saliva getting on them left tiny splodges of rubbed off print

as a product though the scalescenes stuff is very good, ive also done some low relief buildings (that im no longer using) and as they are individual downloads to suit you can adapt and expand at no extra cost, they seemed to print alright as i did them in one go on the same day and as they are out of sunlight they havent faded

i also share your annoyance of the metcalfe range as they do card sheets in engineers blue brick but not any matching retaining walls so im going to have to build my own which wont look as good

I've done a fair few Scalescenes kits, even some in 0 gauge, they are good I think.  You do need a decent printer and yes, a coat of matte varnish will help to preserve them.

Here's another:  http://lcut.co.uk/index.php?page=pages/products&title=4mm scale . I bought a couple of these in 0 gauge and they do look quite impressive.

John

I've built a few Scalescenes kits and found that a coat of Humbrol MattCote gave them suitable protection.

Just bought a tin of that!

Here's another:  http://lcut.co.uk/index.php?page=pages/products&title=4mm scale . I bought a couple of these in 0 gauge and they do look quite impressive.

Have bookmarked the LCUT site, John, thanks.

If you're worried about fading with Scalescenes, a possibility could be to have them professionally printed using a laser printer. It shouldn't be prohibitively expensive.

I have access to an A3 colour laser printer at work...

You might want to give Ghiant Inkjet fixative spray a try , it's not cheap but does a very good job of locking in the colour and adding a degree of protection against moisture on printed card models .

Looks to be readily availble through Amazon too - £10 a tin. The moisture protection is a factor as this layout lives in a shed.

Thanks everyone. Am going to build the free coal office/weighbridge office from ScaleScenes as a starting point.

• RMweb Gold

Having just built Metcalfe brick platforms, I find their most suitable kits for station and island platforms are stone. Grr! I'm after suggestions therefore for alternatives for the PO238 and PO239 kits of similar size and function but in brick - preferably also in card and therefore not scarily expensive! Era being modelled is BR green diesels; longest platform just about handles five Mk.Is.

I'm also after an island platform building and like the look of the new Metcalfe model

https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product/po322-00-h0-island-platform-building/

Again it comes in stone but one solution would be to overlay the kit's stone card with a good quality brick paper and use the kit pretty much as a shell. The other fixtures and fittings could all then be used too, windows, awning etc?

It would also make your version of the kit different from the rest.

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I'm also after an island platform building and like the look of the new Metcalfe model

https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product/po322-00-h0-island-platform-building/

Again it comes in stone but one solution would be to overlay the kit's stone card with a good quality brick paper and use the kit pretty much as a shell. The other fixtures and fittings could all then be used too, windows, awning etc?

It would also make your version of the kit different from the rest.

Cheers,

Keith

Also, by overlaying with brick paper you would remove the need to get rid of those annoying "white lines" on the corners of an as-built Metcalfe kit.

Just downloaded the freebie Scalescenes low relief warehouse for use on a small layout I am building, very impressed with the detail and colouring.

• RMweb Premium

I am building some of those new Metcalfe stone station kits at the moment.  The platform canopies are a little fiddly to assemble but well worth it.

We have some 35 year old  superquick island station buildings still in use, the roofs are poor and ours have replacement plastic roofs frommwills sheets I believe.  Keeping the railway room dark helps the longevity of Superquick buildings.

The download and print buildings are OK if your office has a £3000 laser printer and you feed it decent paper, 120 or 150 gsm.  If you don't have access to such a beast these download and print items really are a waste of time.  They fade all too quickly if printed on an inkjet or cheap laser.

I printed a lot of brickpaper on a big laser printer after changing the colour from grey granite to red sandstone which worked quite well as a stop gap.  I did get offered one of these big copier printers for free but couldn't transport it a while ago. most annoying.

Nah.

I downloaded the Smart Models signalbox that was free with Model Rail a couple of years ago. Printed it out on a printer that cost less that £80 from Argos and it was perfect. The prices have come down even further since I bought that. Probably less than £50 now. You definitely don't need a £3000 printer.

Link for Smart Models. Highly recommended. http://www.smartmodels.co.uk/index.html

I was also quite impressed with the Metcalfe Models PO237 00/H0 Scale Country Station that my brother bought recently. Bought because it's based on his local station Sankey.

https://www.metcalfemodels.com/product/po237-00-h0-country-station/

Jason

I had a Samsung cheapie laser printer that worked well for some years but it was crap at printing transfers.  I recently decided to ditch it and get something better.  Got myself a HP Officejet Pro 8720.  This uses oil based ink so won't dry out as all my other ink jet printers did.  I've used it for a number of Scalescenes kits and think it's excellent.  The printer itself was $200 (113 pounds) on sale.  It comes with a sampler amount of ink. The ink is as much again of course.

John

I'm afraid I didn't get far with the ScaleScenes experiment - just didn't have the patience! I downloaded the free coal office design, printed it on coated paper, glued the stated parts onto three different thicknesses of card as instructed. But cutting the thickest card (2mm), even with a brand new scalpel blade, was taking ages! The Metcalfe kits have spoilt me! Their PO237 brick country station will do just fine for the main station building, but the separate building that comes with it will be too wide for my island platforms, so I'll consider having a go at brick paper-coating their PO322 island platform building.

IMHO a scapel is the wrong tool for 2mm card, I use a stanley knife or a similarly sized snap off blade and it cuts through in one or two passes.

Re-covering Superquick or Metcalfe works, I recently re-covered an old super quick barn i found in a box under the layout

Before

post-5273-0-38368400-1493907189_thumb.jpg

After

post-5273-0-53619500-1493907229_thumb.jpg

For cutting the thicker card, I use one of the "pizza wheel" cutters - I got mine from Hobbycraft. I normally do a couple of passes with a scalpel so that there is a groove for the cutter to run through, then do several passes. When cutting card with a scalpel, I found that I frequently cut at an off square angle, but I seem to do better with the wheel cutter.

I like scalescenes - I use a Windsor and newton spray to protect them.

I do find some of the stuff overly complicated, the warehouse I think was a hell of a lot of phases to get the end result - that's ok if your main hobby is building buildings but a bit frustrating if it's just a means to an end

Archived