Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

I've just clocked that we've had over 100,000 clicks and that's mainly for a thread about three blokes eating pies and pasties, in between building a model railway and taking it to places in lots of different smelly Transit vans. Now that's got to be so much better than watching Trumpton on the telly!

The thread has also been runing over 12 months and hasn't been locked once !

Whilst you guys were out playing with DitD this last weekend, I saw the following and wondered if this was advice or a motto for you

post-5107-0-16129800-1334586589_thumb.jpg

:)

Chris, the roundhouse certainly looks better with the Bulleids in residence, razor blades indeed. Congratulations on getting past the 100k mark and looking forward to seeing the layout at Aylesbury.

Colin

• Like 5

Finally got to see DitD at Trainwest

The Layout was as good as expected.....Excellent!

I thought the lighting and presentation was superb the best I've seen.

Well done to all concerned.

Chris many thanks for the scenery advice :good:

Alan and Mags

• Like 3

If the nearest one is called Sid the Spamcan what is the one in the middle called - Fray Bentos?

Pedant Mode: Fray Bentos is a town in Uruguay on the Uruguay River. It is famous for it's meat pies. Look it up if you don't believe me - I was in Montevideo when I learned this. I think that the group should model it's "Shed". Most apt.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Pedant Mode: Fray Bentos is a town in Uruguay on the Uruguay River. It is famous for it's meat pies. Look it up if you don't believe me - I was in Montevideo when I learned this. I think that the group should model it's "Shed". Most apt.

Best, Pete.

Odd tho' it may sound I did know that Fray Bentos is a place but as it comes as a name on spamcans over here I thought it would be appropriate - but I have to admit I did overlook the pie connection :O ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I recall Fray Bentos as being corned beef - was there a scandal about them in the '50s in the UK? - but then they did branch out into pies. The pies were in tins, sort of big flat things, wot you took the lid off and stuck in the oven, I think. Nice and juicy. Regular meals in the '70s!

EDIT Meant to comment on the metal sleepers, which indicate some reason for not using the local, abundant, cheap trees instead. Termites or similar pests?

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

I recall Fray Bentos as being corned beef - was there a scandal about them in the '50s in the UK? - but then they did branch out into pies. The pies were in tins, sort of big flat things, wot you took the lid off and stuck in the oven, I think. Nice and juicy. Regular meals in the '70s!

You can still get the pies (and I think some new meat flavours?) - we saw them in the local Tesco some months back, first time we'd seen them in ages. Not sure how folk would manage with the tinnned pie at a show tho?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Look what I get to play with between now and Aylesbury show.... I've already started in a regional and time shift..

What a great use of an ex GWR shed - fill it with Southern region locos - gets my full approval but needs a few more Bullied light pacifics really!!

Ian

• Like 3