The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old buses (and coaches)

Joseph_Pestell

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, nsl714 said:

...snip...  and installing correct destination blinds in the bus.t some shine back into the red.

-Zach

What headsigns were in it before you swapped the out? And, any photos of them?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

What headsigns were in it before you swapped the out? And, any photos of them?

Before this, the signboxes were empty, and there were vinyl stickers over them, as below.

IMG_1165.JPG.5be3afc8ac6ba4ddbcf4015d6de7eeed.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I just discovered my collection of old Southdown bus tickets from the late 1980's into the early 1990's.  Must be a couple of hundred!  I think I had this grand plan when I was about twelve that these would be worth a lot of money one day.

Would I be right in thinking I might as well chuck them in the bin?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I just discovered my collection of old Southdown bus tickets from the late 1980's into the early 1990's.  Must be a couple of hundred!  I think I had this grand plan when I was about twelve that these would be worth a lot of money one day.

No, definitely not. Offer them for a minimal amount/free for the postage.  Is there a For Sale folder here on RMweb? If so offer them there.

EDIT: If it/they were a bus stop sign, I would stick my hands "in the bin" to get them back out! 😉 Note that I do have one UK sign in my bus stop sign collection from West Yorkshire Metro:

WYorkshireUK.jpg.466cefa888406ebf4f98b16ff6289112.jpg

It was "Hardcastle Crags" that prompted me to get off of ebay. 🙂 Dodd Naze was no slouch either! 😉

Edited by J. S. Bach
To add some information.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

I once attempted to collect a full house of Southdown Setright tickets from 000 to 999. I never achieved anything like a full set but got to around 700 with a good many duplicates. 

Some garages used Almex machines which gradually spread across much of the fleet making collection of the Setrights harder. 

I never counted up the value of the collected tickets but as they were all ones I had used I reckon Southdown had a fair bit of my income!  The lowest value was 1d and later 1p and the highest iirc was 99p. Southdown Setrights were not able to issue higher value fares except in combination. When they first introduced Wanderbus tickets they were 60p (anywhere on all except a few special services and after 09.30 weekdays) and included travel on Maidstone & District vehicles working joint routes. 

The price rose to 80p - still a one-ticket issue - with validity extended to all Maidstone & District, East Kent and Hants & Dorset routes. Effectively allowing limitless travel between Margate and Weymouth. I made very good use of that facility helped by the introduction of the 700 Coastliner which still runs (albeit in three distinct sections) between Brighton and Portsmouth  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John M Upton said:

If any of the tickets are for a short lived route or special service they might be worth something to a collector.

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

If any of the tickets are for a short lived route or special service they might be worth something to a collector.

I would say that all of them might be of interest to a collector; especially a newer collector.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

I once attempted to collect a full house of Southdown Setright tickets from 000 to 999. I never achieved anything like a full set but got to around 700 with a good many duplicates. 

I presume the “000 to 999” refers to the sequential ticket number. A quick(er) way to do that than buying them would have been to rake through the ‘used tickets’ bins. (Usually only done by inspectors looking for suspected “double nothings” - tickets issued with no value on them, with the fare being pocketed.)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, pH said:

I presume the “000 to 999” refers to the sequential ticket number. A quick(er) way to do that than buying them would have been to rake through the ‘used tickets’ bins. (Usually only done by inspectors looking for suspected “double nothings” - tickets issued with no value on them, with the fare being pocketed.)

Some were indeed "recovered" though not from inside the bin.  A small number was collected in very good used condition having been left on seats.  I didn't stoop (pun intended) to collection from the floor either.  

Inspectors were indeed alert to various scams by unscrupulous drivers but Southdown took pride in its platform staff doing the right thing.  "Double Nothings" (zero-value tickets) were unheard of other than as scams run by certain other operators.  

There was an open day at the Portslade Works on one occasion where there was an opportunity to play with a power-driven Setright Speed as used by Southdown OMO services.  Conductors use hand-wound versions.  I managed to churn out around 30 tickets before being "moved on" to allow the next person to take over.  But I did get a few oddballs such as a 1d Special and a 9/11d Dog ticket.  

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 05/09/2023 at 19:36, John M Upton said:

Try contacting The Transport Ticket Society.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sheffield bus station mid 50s , the two single deckers are close to where the SUT office would be built . The left had single decker is probably the 31  slowest bus in Sheffield .

IMG_0098.jpeg

Edited by Derek 19B
Added some info
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Derek 19B said:

Sheffield bus station mid 50s , the two single deckers are close to where the SUT office would be built . The left had single decker is probably the 31  slowest bus in Sheffield .

IMG_0098.jpeg

Upper Walkley from memory?

The only bus route in Sheffield Transport Days to never knowingly have had a decker on it.

Mike.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Upper Walkley was the 95 , my into town and school (when it was raining)

31 was lower Walkley ran through Upperthorpe  Walkley lane and lower Walkley  to Holme lane corner.

Derek

Edited by Derek 19B
Spelling of holme corrected
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Derek 19B said:

31 was lower Walkley ran through Upperthorpe  Walkley lane and lower Walkley  to Holme lane corner.

Derek

Too many of my brain cells have evacuated the premises, but I was close!

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/09/2023 at 12:30, Derek 19B said:

Derek

Forbes Road (facing the opposite direction to the current one way system) was the Hillsborough terminus. 

• Like 1

On 08/09/2023 at 10:16, Enterprisingwestern said:

Upper Walkley from memory?

The only bus route in Sheffield Transport Days to never knowingly have had a decker on it.

Mike.

Don't forget the old service 100 to Parkwood Springs which couldn't have deckers because of the railway bridge at Neepsend.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I remember the 31 on Forbes road outside the large Catholic Church, hope those three weren't in a rush, it took ages to get to pond street must have been going to the football. Cannot say I ever went to Parkwood springs ,

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Goodwood Revival Meeting and the Stagecoach South provided shuttle bus service has had to have some different vintage buses laid on this year due to the selling off of the family silver when Stagecoach's new owners took over.  It has meant a few 'new' vehicles appearing such as this rather nice Swindon Daimler CVG6:

Go South Coast 145 (JAM 145E) Chichester 10/9/23

Some of the Stagecoach family silver was still present, the decision to sell them off was halted part way through the process!

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

The Goodwood Revival Meeting and the Stagecoach South provided shuttle bus service has had to have some different vintage buses laid on this year due to the selling off of the family silver when Stagecoach's new owners took over.  It has meant a few 'new' vehicles appearing such as this rather nice Swindon Daimler CVG6:

Go South Coast 145 (JAM 145E) Chichester 10/9/23

Some of the Stagecoach family silver was still present, the decision to sell them off was halted part way through the process!

The same bus seen on a Thamesdown Transport service on a rather gloomy 5th November 1983 - a mere 40 years ago......

r83-565.jpg.73660d5b679a399d2470a5d551775b8c.jpg

I believe it was a special "Farewell" type Enthusiasts event with both 145 & 146 running on rural services on that date.

• Like 11