Trainwest 2010 - 10 & 11 April

Geoff Endacott

Trainwest today was fantastic, it had one of the best selections of layouts I've seen at an exhibition. It was also one of the friendliest shows I've been to, the exhibitors were all very chatty and keen to talk about their layouts. Although unfortunate for the organisers, it was also fairly quiet, so there was plenty of space to view the exhibits.

Here's a few of my photos, and I'll post a video once it's edited and uploaded.

P4110003.JPG

Bedlam Heath

P4110011.JPG

Bedlam Heath

P4110017.JPG

Bedlam Heath

P4110361.JPG

Bedlam Heath

P4110046.JPG

Happisburgh Goods, one end of the massive Happisburgh model.

P4110053.JPG

Happisburgh Goods

P4110054.JPG

Cherry Orchard

P4110074.JPG

Wansbeck Road

P4110080.JPG

Cogirep

P4110205.JPG

Cogirep

P4110208.JPG

Cogirep

P4110210.JPG

Cogirep

P4110086.JPG

St Jean sur Mer

P4110212.JPG

St Jean sur Mer

P4110214.JPG

St Jean sur Mer

P4110116.JPG

Oldshaw

P4110118.JPG

Oldshaw

P4110122.JPG

Oldshaw

P4110133.JPG

Kentside

P4110142.JPG

Kentside

P4110130.JPG

Kentside

P4110156.JPG

Clarendon

P4110173.JPG

Hellingly Hospital Railway

P4110328.JPG

Hellingly Hospital Railway

P4110186.JPG

Hedges Hill Cutting

P4110191.JPG

Hedges Hill Cutting

P4110197.JPG

Hedges Hill Cutting

P4110201.JPG

Hedges Hill Cutting

P4110239.JPG

Wintringham Haven

P4110244.JPG

Wintringham Haven

P4110250.JPG

Wintringham Haven

P4110254.JPG

Quai 87

P4110264.JPG

Quai 87

P4110268.JPG

Quai 87

P4110275.JPG

Quai 87

P4110281.JPG

Quai 87

P4110293.JPG

Highbridge Road

P4110301.JPG

Western Road

P4110331.JPG

West Harptree

P4110343.JPG

West Harptree

P4110349.JPG

West Harptree

P4110352.JPG

West Harptree

P4110230.JPG

Leaford

Finally, many thanks to the organisers for calling back the bus at 16:30 when they thought they had taken everyone back to the station on the previous trip. Great as Trainwest was I wouldn't want to be stuck in Melksham!

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Some great looking layouts there. Several 3rd rail jobs and BR blue stuff which is often missing at shows.

Looked a bit quiet sadly but that maybe expected at a newish show (is it?) Next year will be better if the news gets around that the show is a good un. Sadly I could not get that far west.

Great pics by the way burkitt!

36E

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to everyone who came and had a look at Cogirep - and to Matt and John (Re6/6) for kindly helping out with the layout. It was a very enjoyable weekend. The only downer was that the seagulls seemed to have decided to use my car as target practise :blink: - it used to be blue ...

• RMweb Premium

Back home inside 5 hours was a good end to the weekend.This turned out to be a good show with a good selection of layouts and traders.Well done to all involved.I would recommend this show to anyone in the area next year.

Melksham seems to be home to seagull bomber command, you wasn't the only one to be hit, Al.:blink:

Found my windscreen bombed as well! Excellent show, though, & I actually managed to get a look at several layouts, for a change.. Particularly liked Hellingly, & Cogirep, which I finally realised had been behind my head for the whole weekend... Had a very enjoyable time, & was home in time for dinner, thanks to a quick getaway, & nice to meet a number of RMwebbers..

Looked a bit quiet sadly but that maybe expected at a newish show (is it?)

Trainwest .... "newish" ... that's going to upset Geoff :D

Though its does seem to keep moving about a bit .... venue ... date ;)

It wasn't that quiet. We had nearly 2,000 people at the show over the weekend. That's a little lower than last year, but Saturday was the warmest day of the year so far. That probably meant some people headed for outdoor activites instead.

There was space to view the layouts because I make sure we have wide gangways. We had 200 people through the door in the first 20 minutes and were up to 450 by 11.00, but looking around the hall there still seemed plenty of room to move around.

Trainwest has been going for about 15 years. (I can't remember exactly how many without looking it up.) It has gradually evolved to where it is today. I like to think we have the friendliness of a small local show, but the quality of a major national event. I always aim to have a good mix of the best layouts and judging by some of the comments above maybe I am beginning to get things right.

The show moved from the Olympiad in Chippenham to the Christie Miller Centre in Melksham in 2007 so this was our fourth Trainwest at the "new" venue. Finding a good venue is always difficult. We left Chippenham after the catering facilities at the Olympiad were closed and our overflow car park became a housing estate. Melksham is not ideal as it is a little off the beaten track, but we are booked there for 2011 and 2012. After that, who knows, because the threat of redevelopment is hanging over the venue.

The dates have changed to avoid clashes with other exhibitions which had also changed dates. We have now decided that Trainwest will stay on the second full weekend in April for the forseeable future. (This does not clash with Easter for several years.) So make a note in your diaries for 9 & 10 April 2011 and 14 & 15 April 2012.

And if anyone can suggest a suitable venue for 13 & 14 April 2013, please let me know.

Geoff Endacott

Exhibition Manager, Trainwest

Thanks to everyone whos posted images and made comments. As I am booked in to take Ring Road next year, I certainly am nervous now - the quality of layouts is outstanding, and I will have to do a lot of work on the presentation side to get the layout up to scratch for its first 'proper' outing!

David

• RMweb Premium

Rather than take lots of photos of the layouts, I thought I'd try and get them all into one photo :D.

post-6821-127118249243_thumb.jpg

Not many venues give you a view like this.It may not look much on the outside,but the venue is fine inside,and about the right size.

Since everyone seems to have enjoyed themselves,you must be getting things right,Geoff.

Archived