Halts in all their glory

It may depend on your definition of a Halt I guess as all trains made scheduled stops as opposed to on request but it does meet the OP definition.

Being but a simple soul I have restricted my contributions to places that actually include the word "Halt" in their name.

I have another local branch on my list to visit, so with luck I will try to post a couple more next week.

Totally OT but prompted by your photo.

I have a photo of a J39 and a train taking evacuated children from Walthamstow to Aspley Guise around 1940. Any one suggest the route that this train would have taken?

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

That sign is a cracker, but I suspect it to be the work of the very active local support group. They seem to have adopted a very archaic spelling of Marston Moretaine, a local village, although looking at Wikipedia both versions seem to be accepted.

Kn

That may (possibly) have come from the name of the Morteyne Arms Pub which was across the road from the station. The pub building itself can be seen on the Google Streets picture if you turn around. I have no idea when it ceased to be a pub and I have to admit that I do not recall it being open when I lived in the area.

The de Morteyne family held Marston Manor from 1284 to 1380 so I would guess that is where Marston Morteyne comes from but it seems to have been known as Marston Moretaine since the 16th century. Curiously Wikipedia shows it as Morteyne first (Is Wikipedia that old? (joke)) but every map I have found says Moretaine. Seems to be a case of "take your choice"!

As a lad, visiting Crewe so that I could see Princess Coronations (semis we called them) and other delights, I was always fascinated by the name of Coole Pilate Halt, which was served by the Crewe-Wellington trains. I always wanted to go there, but sadly, I never did. 

At the time I was too young to realise it was on ex-GWR territory. Although Granges, and indeed Warships and Westerns worked into Crewe, at the time I associated the GWR with Devon and Cornwall, and North Wales. The Wellington trains were compartment stock pulled by Ivatt 2-6-2 tanks, if I recall rightly. 

I presume Coole was the younger brother of Pontius.

Edited by Poggy1165
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

More often than not, the Wellington Crewe trains were powered by GWR large prairie tanks. They usually left from platform 7 at Crewe, and sometimes you could wander down that end amongst loads of LMS types coming and going, and there'd be a 57xx 060PT parked there, totally different from everything else.

I learn something new every day!

One of my good lady's former school friends lives not far from Market Drayton, and we've visited a few times, but if anyone had told me that the GWR served the town, I wouldn't have believed them.

K

• 4 years later...
On 19/05/2017 at 06:44, dibber25 said:

Weston-under-Penyard Halt on the Gloucester-Hereford line - the first railway photo I took without a train in it.

post-1062-0-24800500-1495189186_thumb.jpeg

I found another photo of this Halt. It’s of interest because my parents live in a house built close to this spot, the line having run near the end of their garden. In the black and white photo I’ve attached I’d be very interested to know what anybody can tell me were the colours used on the actual ‘hut’, platform, signage and loco.

thx.

3CAD278A-920A-46BA-97CB-32DC1CE7750C.jpeg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/06/2017 at 21:01, Nearholmer said:

I learn something new every day!

One of my good lady's former school friends lives not far from Market Drayton, and we've visited a few times, but if anyone had told me that the GWR served the town, I wouldn't have believed them.

K

This line had a halt with the enchanting name of Coole Pilate.

• RMweb Premium

Potter Heigham Bridge Halt, purely for holiday makers, down the railway embankment to the river , turn right to the boat yards, turn left if you can afford a chalet on the riverbank..

image.png.836492437f7f5237dea80afa26ebd0cb.png

That's now under the A149, as is Sutton Staithe Halt another holidaymaker boatyard halt.. just a couple of miles up towards Stalham.

A picture from the river of that time, you can just see the old "Airfix style" metal railway bridge in the back ground.

image.png.3e01bc750d0e0c69ffb5ae24b8adb1e1.png

The halt was at the left hand end of the bridge as you look at it..

The hotel burnt down in the 1980s

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Collingbourne Kingston Halt on the MSWJR.

Back then

image.png.e6735ef018f3b0725f2cb2167d152392.png

just before closure

image.png.e44078114f842ea2144172395d39fcd2.png

Comparatively recently

image.png.3918dbb14a6788e92891aff9bebc0126.png

All pictures from the Swindons Other Railway site.

I have travelled on this line .... in my pram..

• Like 5

Another honorable mention for the delightful named Windmill End, which conjures up an image of a remote country Halt  perhaps with the eponymous Windmill and not the depths of the Black Country. 

Andy

• RMweb Premium

One halt trying to live up to its name, Greenbank Halt. There’s a road up through the trees called Cherry Tree Hill. However, if you get off at the bus stop on the road passing through the underbridge, that’s called Coke Hearth.

AB6372F6-78A4-4DBF-9012-95E90FFE4153.jpeg.dcc84b9872bca21a74b29a2278a2b609.jpeg

• Like 8

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR_Class-101_DAMEMS_12_08.21_17.JPG.ba59626ec744f2bf1378ed0ed408908a.JPG

My favourite, though unsure if you can count it as a halt, or station... Damems on the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway (shot taken yesterday).  The railway itself describes it as a station, but in the past it was an unmanned halt as well as a manned station further back with assigned staff in MR days.  In the normal scheme of things, it's a request stop (though seems to do a reasonable trade in passengers), and is manned in the sense there's signalling staff in the box to work the crossing.  It's certainly a characterful stop, with a very short platform.

• Like 7

On 22/06/2017 at 08:05, Bernard Lamb said:

Totally OT but prompted by your photo.

I have a photo of a J39 and a train taking evacuated children from Walthamstow to Aspley Guise around 1940. Any one suggest the route that this train would have taken?

Bernard

Which station in Walthamstow? If it was the old LMS one (Queens Road I think?), then it's straight thro' via Bletchley.

Edited by bike2steam

• RMweb Premium

Mind, the platforms on the old halts in a lot of cases were ash infill banked up behind a wooden front. The Hailes Abbey platforms look immaculate in raked gravel, but the old platforms were a bit more uneven, and usually you’d find a rain water rivulet down the ramp at the ends, where heavy rain had started to erode the ash away. More often than not you’d access the platform by the ramp.

i like the platform lighting at Hailes Abbey, the smell around the place was creosote from wood platforms and shelter, and lamp oil from those lanterns and the lamps on the level crossing gates.

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1