RMweb

Why I don't Use Facebook

Ian J.

I've connected to several pages, because so many clubs and organisations use them instead of websites, but I don't have a page myself.

Nor do I follow, or take much interest in the personal pages of people known to me, in some cases because they use them to display aspects of their personalities which I find disagreeable or saddening, in other cases because I simply can't be bothered to sift through the huge amount of detail about people they know, but I don't.

A friend of mine (actual, known-him-for-years friend) is given to the view that it tends to work against the spirit of the "sailor's toast". I have no opinion to offer on that particular issue...

• RMweb Premium

... I then discovered that it's almost impossible to feed a jam donut into a self-service checkout's coin slot...

I like the almost impossible part of your description. Do I therefore correctly infer that, having been given enough tenacity, you surpassed the difficulty and managed in the end to feed the aforementioned doughnut into the coin slot?

• Like 1

I then discovered that it's almost impossible to feed a jam donut into a self-service checkout's coin slot. That did make me feel a bit better though.

I like the almost impossible part of your description. Do I therefore correctly infer that, having been given enough tenacity, you surpassed the difficulty and managed in the end to feed the aforementioned doughnut into the coin slot?

Perhaps. My lips are sealed. As was the coin slot when I left Tesco.

Back on topic, I revisited my facebook account today for the first time in ages. I discovered that there's actually more happening in the real world to get grumpy about (just turn on the TV news), rather than get depressed by analysing the character flaws and/or the bizarre behaviour of aquaintances online. I'll probably not re-visit facebook for another 6 months now, but for me it serves a purpose to have an account. Then again I'm not aware of having any particular axe to grind. Self-service checkouts and donuts excepted, of course.

• Like 1

I've connected to several pages, because so many clubs and organisations use them instead of websites, but I don't have a page myself.

That's why I have to use it so many clubs and societies have got rid of there websites cause no one's wants the hassle and cost of running them.

My issue is that you have to have a page, profile etc on Facebook to join them, however I am never too keen on letting one set of friends really knowing I belong to another.

You could set up fake IDs but whoever needs to approve your request to join as a lot are closed groups will not let you join unless they know you.

The other problem I see and I've seen this happen it's all to easy for certain people who have a disagreement about something to start a thread or a comment and very quickly everyone knows. It's not as easy to moderate as a forum

• RMweb Premium

Nor do I follow, or take much interest in the personal pages of people known to me, in some cases because they use them to display aspects of their personalities which I find disagreeable or saddening, in other cases because I simply can't be bothered to sift through the huge amount of detail about people they know, but I don't.

A friend of mine (actual, known-him-for-years friend) is given to the view that it tends to work against the spirit of the "sailor's toast". I have no opinion to offer on that particular issue...

Is the sailors toast "Here's to wives and sweethearts. May they never meet!"?

Al

• RMweb Gold

You don't have to be Einstein to work out that some on FB (there I have used the initials now instead of a daft name) collect friends because to them it makes them feel more liked/important/infamous or whatever.  Some on there have few friends but in reality they maybe are actually like on here acquaintances that you do not know very well. 

I did have a friend on here (he is no longer) who I thought to be an actual friend but it turned out that I and others who I have a lot of respect for were tricked as much as me.  He showed his true colours and continues to do so by making it his mission in life to cause as much trouble as possible for those that he has conned and betrayed.

In truth we all will have very few real friends but I have control over who I accept as one on FB and if at some point I consider I want nothing to do with them I have control over removing them from my list.

As regards a lot of the stuff that is on there being racist/abusive/bullying well I treat that sort of conversation just the same as I would a real one in the workplace, pub or elsewhere and remove myself from it.  If at work a conversation takes a direction that makes me uncomfortable I would just walk away.  It is easy to do that on FB and I do not have to be party to anything i do not want to be.

Having said all that I still find it very useful for keeping in touch with little more than a handful of people whom I choose to and do not let others spoil my enjoyment.  Use it, don't use it as you choose but please try not to dismiss it and those that do wish to use it just because it isn't for you.  Blimey someone will be telling me I have the wrong gap between my wheels for the track or too many rivets soon.  What is this World coming to?

Mmm, this is an interesting, and amusing thread. Yes I use fb, and find it very useful concerning one of my other interests, namely as a dog owner, I belong to various groups dealing with the three breeds I'm involved with, it has proved helpful with both giving and receiving advice, training issues, arranging meetings, and locating lost or stolen dogs. So if you think someone's spying on you, so feckin' what - who cares. :sungum:   

I don't do Facebook, not because I'm grumpy but I'm just not interested in getting involved with it , my mobile phone in my pocket has all the numbers of people I'm really bothered about and that's how I keep in touch with them .

My wife often shows me some of the rubbish posted by some vacuous morons she knows on Facebook and it usually revolves around " look at my cute puppy " "look at me pouting in front of the mirror" and other such tripe. Maybe she should have a review of her " friends" !!!

Many good words have been said about this website, mostly true and the reason that I find all the social contact I need on line on a frequent basis.  I try and spend as little time as I can in front of a screen of any description.  The common interest in British railways is obviously the connection for visiting and interaction with posters and I can usually find more info on what goes on back home as most are from the UK.  Also we are not a strict society, along with trains, there can be found all sorts of interesting posts and comments, some funny, some interesting but all worth reading and every now and again, some saucy pictures of well endowed ladies. 

What more could one ask?

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

My issue is that you have to have a page, profile etc on Facebook to join them, however I am never too keen on letting one set of friends really knowing I belong to another.

^ This. One of the biggest reasons I junked the FB account I had many years ago was when they stopped allowing connections to be managed by the user, such that one group (say a particular past employer) that had previously been kept in a 'sandbox', suddenly had to become visible as a 'group that you belonged to', and completely visible to all the other groups. It effectively took away my ability to keep incompatible connections away from each other with regards to me.

Edited by Ian J.

^ This. One of the biggest reasons I junked the FB account I had many years ago was when they stopped allowing connections to be managed by the user, such that one group (say a particular past employer) that had previously been kept in a 'sandbox', suddenly had to become visible as a 'group that you belonged to', and completely visible to all the other groups. It effectively took away my ability to keep incompatible connections away from each other with regards to me.

What he said.

I've done contract work for many years, and I most certainly don't see a value in publicising who I might be talking to, now or in the past; or putting past connections in an open loop. Like it or not, sometimes I'm competing with people for the same work, sometimes I don't wish to draw people's attention to things which I know, and they might not.

There are also people I don't particularly wish to know where I might be, at any given time.

surely SWMBO always knows where you are! :) :)

From long experience, she mostly hasn't a clue WHERE I am, and doesn't much care. She knows who I'm working for, or which vessel I'm on (sometimes) knows approximately who I'm with in the sense of "out with a club" or "gone to the rugby" but that's about all.

Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

Disappointed to discover with the extra information I've given Facebook lately it decided I need to see adverts for Tena Men incontinence products.

• RMweb Premium

Disappointed to discover with the extra information I've given Facebook lately it decided I need to see adverts for Tena Men incontinence products.

You should have lied about your age .     :sungum:

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yep, if you don't want to be 'tracked' don't use the internet.

I'm a very passive user of Facebook, it's useful for organising things where you may not know everyone - I'm doing a stag do at the moment, and it's much easier than emails/texts. It provides a bit of light entertainment, but my life wouldn't end if it disappeared tomorrow.

It's mainly useful so grumpy people can shout loudly about how they don't use it and call it Farcebook or Faceache though. the really 'hilarious' ones refer to Twatter as well. So droll.

OK go outside your house, there are between 4 and 6 million surveillance cameras in the uk

• RMweb Gold

OK go outside your house, there are between 4 and 6 million surveillance cameras in the uk

Or stay inside your house with a smart TV/ speaker systerm that registers everything you say.

• RMweb Premium

Tinfoil = Aluminium = no rust

Good point. It might corrode though? I'm just worried about the presence of metal with urine... ;)