Redhill Up Yard - Lydd Rail Challenge layout

Lyddrail

My Lydd Rail challenge layout started over the weekend as time was running out, I assume I am the last to cut wood, unless Dave T hasn't started yet!

I aim to build a layout every 30 years or so, and Redhill was my choice for a smaller layout.

I am modelling 3 of the sidings plus the cripple road from the Up Yard, then the goods loop beside the station platform 1, and the run round loop leading into the snow plough siding. On a third board will be a slight extension of the snowplough siding and the fiddle yard. This board will not be added for Lydd Rail keeping with the spirit of the challenge rules.

To better show the location I have broken the rules to 5ft long boards with 12 inches wide with the sidings curving into a 18 inch greater width. The design was for the second board with the goods loop and run round to be a scenic fiddle yard, and with 3 locos and a certain number of trains and wagons a normal fiddle yard was not required with all stock remaining on the layout all the time.

To suit the layout being more flexible post the challenge I added a fiddle board as mentioned above.

Trains using Redhill include oil, sand, mail, civils & other departmental works, with locos and DMUs often berthed in the yard too. Buildings will be the wood lobby, small hut in the sidings and Reigate Feeder hut.

I only visited site 3 times, so am relying on photos from the web and facebook.

Below prototype pics of the area modelled.

post-1373-0-07849900-1496073006_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-14317500-1496073023_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-96232600-1496073036_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-01024100-1496073057_thumb.jpg

I scaled out what I wanted on 2 tables as below. I can fit the platform 1 track due to the curve of the goods loop, but it will not be connected to the rest of the track.

post-1373-0-86070100-1496073137_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-26086000-1496073157_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-51677500-1496073176_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-94325300-1496073195_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-16872200-1496073217_thumb.jpg

I should finish the baseboards today hopefully.

Cheers.

• Like 7

Like it  Paul

After you explained your idea to me back in Febuary i thought it would be a good idea.

Just one question can you remember how to build a new layout.

see you at showcase

Steve

• Like 1

I will be following this one with interest. Will you be having a Tadpole unit? I have walked across the footbridge in picture 4 many times on the way back and forwards to school in the 70's. Oh that dates me now......

Keith HC

• RMweb Premium

Is this some kind of late starters competition? Maybe a layout themed around a glint in the milkmans eye......

Hi Ernie

We know you are going to win, you have in the past with a plank of wood complete with sold label on it. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

If nothing else this Lyddrail Standard Gauge challenge that Andy, George and me came up with last year has prompted Mr Wade to build a layout after 30 years. It will also put out there into exhibition land another 10 or so (all modern image) small layouts.

I know a few of the original rules have been broken mainly size but it was hot last year when we dreamt it up so the sun may off affected us.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If nothing else this Lyddrail Standard Gauge challenge that Andy, George and me came up with last year has prompted Mr Wade to build a layout after 30 years. It will also put out there into exhibition land another 10 or so (all modern image) small layouts.

I know a few of the original rules have been broken mainly size but it was hot last year when we dreamt it up so the sun may off affected us.

Hi ya Steve

There are some that have been daft enough to obey the rules. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/115029-pig-lane-br-western-region/

• RMweb Premium

My Lydd Rail challenge layout started over the weekend as time was running out, I assume I am the last to cut wood, unless Dave T hasn't started yet!

I aim to build a layout every 30 years or so, and Redhill was my choice for a smaller layout.

I am modelling 3 of the sidings plus the cripple road from the Up Yard, then the goods loop beside the station platform 1, and the run round loop leading into the snow plough siding. On a third board will be a slight extension of the snowplough siding and the fiddle yard. This board will not be added for Lydd Rail keeping with the spirit of the challenge rules.

To better show the location I have broken the rules to 5ft long boards with 12 inches wide with the sidings curving into a 18 inch greater width. The design was for the second board with the goods loop and run round to be a scenic fiddle yard, and with 3 locos and a certain number of trains and wagons a normal fiddle yard was not required with all stock remaining on the layout all the time.

To suit the layout being more flexible post the challenge I added a fiddle board as mentioned above.

Trains using Redhill include oil, sand, mail, civils & other departmental works, with locos and DMUs often berthed in the yard too. Buildings will be the wood lobby, small hut in the sidings and Reigate Feeder hut.

attachicon.gifP1 T-921 Redhill 25-11-98.jpg

attachicon.gifP2 T-914 Redhill 25-11-98.jpg

attachicon.gifP3 T-846 Redhill 25-11-98.jpg

attachicon.gifP4 T-858 Redhill 25-11-98.jpg

I scaled out what I wanted on 2 tables as below. I can fit the platform 1 track due to the curve of the goods loop, but it will not be connected to the rest of the track.

attachicon.gifRedhill Up Yard 1.jpg

attachicon.gifRedhill Up Yard 2.jpg

attachicon.gifRedhill Up Yard 3.jpg

attachicon.gifRedhill Up Yard 4.jpg

attachicon.gifRedhill Up Yard 5.jpg

Cheers.

Hi Paul

Have you noticed in the forth photo, a pink house and it isn't in Essex :swoon:

If that isn't modelled then how are we going to tell if it is a real location. :good:

• RMweb Premium

But Clive we are not all doing loco depots that only need a fiddle yard big enough for a loco :-p

Oi!!!!, Carl

The fiddle yard can take a train consisting of the required amount of diesel fuel carried in the petrol tankers, a brake van and a locomotive. A complete train. :sungum: :sungum:

Gentlemen

Don't put Mr Wade off building another layout otherwise I'll be near 100 by the time he builds his forth! You can always saw a bit off the end when you get to Lydd Rail if it infringes the rules, but then, Isambard Kingdom Brunel said " rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"

Ian

• Like 1

Like it  Paul

After you explained your idea to me back in Febuary i thought it would be a good idea.

Just one question can you remember how to build a new layout.

see you at showcase

Steve

Steve,

It has been hard, I don't remember, I keep making notes of what I have to do!

Cheers.

I will be following this one with interest. Will you be having a Tadpole unit? I have walked across the footbridge in picture 4 many times on the way back and forwards to school in the 70's. Oh that dates me now......

Keith HC

Keith,

If I fit removable lamp posts I could run the blue period, and yes I do have a Tadpole kit.

Cheers. 

Those baseboards look a bit shiny...........

Cheers,

Mick

Mick,

The varnish has not dried! No, they are the tables for scaling the layout. The baseboards will be photographed in the next couple of days.

Cheers.

Hi Paul

Have you noticed in the forth photo, a pink house and it isn't in Essex :swoon:

If that isn't modelled then how are we going to tell if it is a real location. :good:

Clive,

I hadn't noticed that, might be able to get it on a future backscene!

Cheers.

Gentlemen

Don't put Mr Wade off building another layout otherwise I'll be near 100 by the time he builds his forth! You can always saw a bit off the end when you get to Lydd Rail if it infringes the rules, but then, Isambard Kingdom Brunel said " rules are made for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men"

Ian

Ian,

Your Brunel quote is spot on, I did used to be an engineer before I retired!

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been finishing the baseboards today. I had been busy with other mattters. I also realised after fitting the tops I should have removed some sections for lower areas. This was corrected yesterday and in the last few minutes these have been fitted with thin base surfaces.

I have taken time to review the prototype photos to get these right with the necessary scale compromises. Also notice various detail items that I will need to model.

Likely I will only have track laid, control panel and electrics done with test running for the July show date. If I get more time a start on the groundwork features might be possible.

pictures below.

post-1373-0-93042600-1497197723_thumb.jpg

post-1373-0-72880300-1497197740_thumb.jpg

Cheers.

Edited by Lyddrail
  • Like 4

attachicon.gifP1 T-921 Redhill 25-11-98.jpg

attachicon.gifP2 T-914 Redhill 25-11-98.jpg

attachicon.gifP3 T-846 Redhill 25-11-98.jpg

attachicon.gifP4 T-858 Redhill 25-11-98.jpg

attachicon.gifRedhill Up Yard 1.jpg

attachicon.gifRedhill Up Yard 2.jpg

attachicon.gifRedhill Up Yard 3.jpg

attachicon.gifRedhill Up Yard 4.jpg

attachicon.gifRedhill Up Yard 5.jpg

Cheers.

Paul.

I have some photos of wagons in the yard at Redhill as well passing trains. Is there anything I can help with?

Dave

Paul.

I have some photos of wagons in the yard at Redhill as well passing trains. Is there anything I can help with?

Dave

Dave,

I would be grateful for any photos as I have been taking some off facebook but anything else would help. The yard especially but passing trains of interest too.

Thanks.

Paul.