Works Drawings for Industrials

Hi all,

A bit of an odd request with this one. I'm currently doing some research work on private locomotive manufacturers and am interested in the different styles of drawings and work they produced.

I wondered if any members of this forum had any copies of industrial locomotive (steam or diesel) works drawings that I could compare? Ideally a GA or similar so that a fair comparison can be made.

It might also inspire me to do some more scratchbuilding!

Thanks

Andy

Cheers guys,

I used to work for the NRM and also did some work for Armley Mills so have seen examples from their collections. The collection at Statfold Barn seems near impossible to get at.

Thanks for the link re the Ruston archive, that's most interesting and i'm sure I will loose a few hours in that this afternoon.

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Are you asking about GA drawings or others? The RH drawings online are catalogue illustrations rather than working drawings. I have plenty of GA and detail drawings from a variety of manufacturers, send me a pm or Email me and I'll see if I can help.

• Like 1

If you do a bit of digging on that site you can find General Arrangements - here's one for an early 44/48HP shunter. http://www.lincstothepast.com/Ruston-and-Hornsby-Plan--Gen-arr-oil-loco/1752011.record?pt=S 

the problem is that it's not very well catalogued - I suspect the people doing the scanning don't necessarily have the time or knowledge to caption them all. Or this is happening later on. 

The trail of manufacturer's drawings is one of tracking the mergers and buyouts.  NRM in York, MS&I in Manchester and Glasgow city libraries are good places to start.

Marc 

I recently bought British Steam Locomotive Builders by James Lowe.  It is a large book, over 700 pages, listing a huge number of builders, from one-offs to enormous outputs.  Within the illustrations are a number of manufacturers' drawings, some of them GA types, although the size of reproduction rather limits what can be made out, but it would be a useful starter and a guide to who built what and when, for tracking down on the internet.

• 7 months later...

Just been trying to find some drawings for Drewry, and have the IRS book, which states the drawing collection is now at Stafford Record Office. they have a very good website listing what they have(I saved a copy), but was wondering if anyone had experience of getting drawings from them.