A Very unusual Mogul

844fan

Hey all,

Got another poser for you guys and I'm not sure if it's British or not once again so if I learn it isn't I will of course move it to the proper place for discussion. Anyway I was looking through my saved photos of Mogul arrangement locos and found a photo I've been meaning to look into for a while and wondered to myself why haven't I posted a question yet? The loco in question is this rather strange looking loco (Please forgive the reupload I cannot remember where I found the photo. I hold no copyrights to it and this is only temporary till I find it again.) http://sta.sh/0258m0wq6h6x now to me this looks like a Pannier Tank with a tender but I have no idea what those are really along the boiler. Tanks, Condensing Gear, Some experimental steam collectors, The list is endless and I probably wouldn't even be close.

But as many of you know I have a soft spot for the oddball, One off and obscure. So I want to find out what this engine's story is at lest as far as where it came from and worked that is. I highly doubt I'm going to find accurate measurements for this one but hey who knows after all you guys helped me discover more photos of the Paget Loco and Pugsy maybe I will be lucky a third time.

Thanks again and I do hope I posted in the right place this time. I know it's not on purpose but I don't like cluttering up the wrong Prototype section and causing a mess for the admins and everyone else even when it is a accident.

• Like 1

Hey all,

Got another poser for you guys and I'm not sure if it's British or not once again so if I learn it isn't I will of course move it to the proper place for discussion. Anyway I was looking through my saved photos of Mogul arrangement locos and found a photo I've been meaning to look into for a while and wondered to myself why haven't I posted a question yet? The loco in question is this rather strange looking loco (Please forgive the reupload I cannot remember where I found the photo. I hold no copyrights to it and this is only temporary till I find it again.) http://sta.sh/0258m0wq6h6x now to me this looks like a Pannier Tank with a tender but I have no idea what those are really along the boiler. Tanks, Condensing Gear, Some experimental steam collectors, The list is endless and I probably wouldn't even be close.

But as many of you know I have a soft spot for the oddball, One off and obscure. So I want to find out what this engine's story is at lest as far as where it came from and worked that is. I highly doubt I'm going to find accurate measurements for this one but hey who knows after all you guys helped me discover more photos of the Paget Loco and Pugsy maybe I will be lucky a third time.

Thanks again and I do hope I posted in the right place this time. I know it's not on purpose but I don't like cluttering up the wrong Prototype section and causing a mess for the admins and everyone else even when it is a accident.

It's a Bulleid Irish experimental rebuild of an old loco for turf burning. Bulleids bogie turf burner followed.

Ian

• Like 1

It's part of the Bulleid turf-burner locomotive project, from OVSB's time at CIE.

Before CC1 was built, a GS&WR K3 2-6-0 was rebuilt to investigate the practicalities of burning this fuel.

http://www.bulleidlocos.org.uk/_oth/cc1_itb.aspx

Martin

Huh well at least I wasn't far off on the Home for the prototype this time. I mean Ireland is almost part of the UK as far as distance goes. ;) Um does anyone know where I can learn about the K3?

Edited by 844fan

Googling the Bullied Turf Burner should get you a link to it, 844.  

Oh indeed I get info on the Turf Burner but I want to know more on this loco not the Peat burning broad Gauge Leader class. I'm wanting to learn more about the K3 Mogul. Hmm guess it can't hurt to see if any Turf Burner searches mention this one. Thank you though for the advice.

I really hope that doesn't sound sarcastic up there my friend. I reread it and in my head it kind of sounds sarcastic but I wasn't wanting it to sound that way. I'm probably just being too self-conscious but you can never be too safe on making sure you don't hurt some one am I right?

• RMweb Gold

No worries, mate, I didn't read it as sarcastic.  The link in post 4 might be productive, and anyway is a good read of stuff about odd or mad locos (funny how many of these are French or Belgian).  A brief squiz at Wikipedia shows that they were introduced by R. Coey on the Great Southern and Western Railway as class 315, and became K3 on the formation of the Great Southern, which became CIE and which used the British GNR/LNER classification system based on wheel arrangements.  Coey was in office from 1895 to 1911, which broadly dates the class; I believe they were an inside cylinder 2-6-0 and as such, I'm not sure they were properly described as moguls, which to me suggests a US influenced loco with outside cylinders.

But you're right, there doesn't seem to be much about them online, either as a class or this particular modified turf burning example.  I am sure I have seen a photo of it at Inchicore from the other side, showing all sorts of odd plumbing and apparatus bolted on and looking quite scruffy, but can't remember where, sorry.  

By the way, I would advise very strongly indeed against suggesting to any Irishman of any political or sectarian persuasion (and they all are!) that Ireland is 'almost part of the UK' as far as distance or anything else goes; they can be a bit excitable on the subject.  I have an Irish friend who is uncomfortable with the place being part of the British Isles, a purely geographical definition...

The book "Bulleid of the Southern", by his son, has a good section about the turf loco developments.

I'd agree with the words above about reference to the UK; it could, accidentally cause offence, and with brexit looming there is a realistically conceivable scenario that could change what, or who, is united with what, or whom.

Anyway, here is a peat hauling loco, rather than a peat burner, which I snapped this very morning.

Kevin

post-26817-0-62549900-1496580111_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

The book "Bulleid of the Southern", by his son, has a good section about the turf loco developments.

I'd agree with the words above about reference to the UK; it could, accidentally cause offence, and with brexit looming there is a realistically conceivable scenario that could change what, or who, is united with what, or whom.

Anyway, here is a peat hauling loco, rather than a peat burner, which I snapped this very morning.

Kevin

I honestly mean no offense as it is a joke on distance compared to a prior topic where the engine was in france. Forgive me if I did offend anyone and I hope all you guys are able tp get a agreement that all are happy with. I never bring up politics as one it makes my head hurt ;) and you can't win that kind of argument online.

• RMweb Gold

I honestly mean no offense as it is a joke on distance compared to a prior topic where the engine was in france. Forgive me if I did offend anyone and I hope all you guys are able tp get a agreement that all are happy with. I never bring up politics as one it makes my head hurt ;) and you can't win that kind of argument online.

No, 844, you clearly didn't intend offence, but it seemed only right to heads you up about the possibility of upsetting anyone of a Hibernian persuasion, even unintentionally.  It'd be like telling a Texan he was almost a Mexican as far as distance is concerned; you'd have a point, but the Texan probably wouldn't see it...

I'm Welsh, and surprise myself by how upset I get when a certain type of American tourist, of whom I am sure you are not one, thinks Wales is 'in England'.  I can't even speak Welsh!

No, 844, you clearly didn't intend offence, but it seemed only right to heads you up about the possibility of upsetting anyone of a Hibernian persuasion, even unintentionally.  It'd be like telling a Texan he was almost a Mexican as far as distance is concerned; you'd have a point, but the Texan probably wouldn't see it...

I'm Welsh, and surprise myself by how upset I get when a certain type of American tourist, of whom I am sure you are not one, thinks Wales is 'in England'.  I can't even speak Welsh!

I fully understand my friend. I know Wales is not England nor is Scotland or Ireland. England is England, Wales is Wales and Scotland is Scotland but together they are as of now a united kingdom under the Union Jack. You could say the three are brothers really and Ireland is just it's own nation who happens to be really close to the UK distance wise.

I have friends in Wales and Scotland and the only thing about the UK I've learned that is 100% the same for culture is the time zones. From where I sit it is six hours later in the evening than here.

i can be culturally ignorant at times but I'm willing to learn about the things I don't know. I have a open mind and no matter what I never mean to offend. Thank you very much for the advice my friend.

With that all said should I tak my topic over to the Overseas Prototypes? i am after all looking for information on the K3 Moguls now. I have a idea for adaption. Not really that big a differnce I mean not anymore than my Paget Outlined Engine whis looks 98% just like the Paget Loco only No Jackshafts, It has proper Inside Motion and a normal if large firebox. So yeah I'm not shy on the idea of a fictional equivalent that could run in the UK. ;)

I'm Welsh, and surprise myself by how upset I get when a certain type of American tourist, of whom I am sure you are not one, thinks Wales is 'in England'. 

Well you would be wrong there. Wales is definitely in England, unless, of course, the Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire has managed to get themselves independence. 

I hate to sow further confusion, but the full title is "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland", although, of course, the most northerly part of Ireland isn't in Northern Ireland at all ........

So, the "really close distance wise" translates into "no distance at all", in that there is a land border, which Wikipedia reliably informs us is precisely 499 000m long.

K

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1

Well you would be wrong there. Wales is definitely in England, unless, of course, the Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire has managed to get themselves independence. 

And right next to Wales is the Rother Valley Country Park. So living in Welsh Wales and modelling the Kent & East Sussex Railway, that's in the Rother Valley in those counties, must mean that I can get away with the odd visiting train from the land of dragons, and a language that I'll never get my head round!!

Ok going to ask that we leave the whole "part of the UK or not" subject alone. I am not going to have my thread end up a battle ground.

Last say on the matter is my phrasing could of been better. End of discussion.

I really don't want anyone at all fighting over a stupid mistake.

• 5 months later...

Hey all,

It looks like a 'beefed up' version of James the Red Engine.

Many years ago I bought some framed pictures of various locos at a sale at Christie's in South Ken. One was of the turf burner. When I got it home I saw on the back was a piece of paper listing its main dimensions in pencil written by OVS himself. 

post-10427-0-75139200-1511292036_thumb.jpeg

Edited by slilley
  • Like 4