Amiens 1918 - WW1 Trench Railway - 009 Exhibition Layout

SDJR7F88

On 01/03/2019 at 09:56, Ruston said:

I helped to restore this loco. p1010878s.jpg

It was stripped right down to the frames. The paint that is on it now was matched to samples on parts that had probably never been taken apart since it was built and on parts that were very difficult to get to and you would never repaint during a subsequent repaint.

Oh good. That's about the colour I painted mine...

46386866911_0f9a6161b2_c.jpgIMG_4703 by Michael Campbell, on Flickr

• Like 3

Finally got around to doing a bit of modification to the fiddle yard on Amiens 1918. 
The original yard, featured a passing loop and 3 not very well placed sidings, which mean a total of 3 trains could be set-up. 
Now, one of the sidings has been turned into a 3rd passing loop, meaning a total of 4 trains can be set-up at one time :)
Fingers crossed it all works...
Photos show the before and after

IMG_20190311_141553.jpg

IMG_20190311_145758.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A short video taking a look at the current planned 2018 Display dates for Amiens 1918, my 009 Scale - WW1 Trench Railway. 
With 5 shows currently confirmed and more being planned, 2019 is certainly going be another busy year for the layout! 
Show List 2019;

Nailsea & District Model Railway Exhibition - Nailsea, North Somerset 
Sat 6th – Sun 7th April 2019

TRAINWEST 2019 - Corsham, Wiltshire 
Sat 13th –  Sun 14th April 2019

Bristol RailEx - Thornbury, Bristol
Fri 3rd - Sun 5th May 2019

East Anglian Model Railway Exhibition - Kettering, Northamptonshire 
Sat 8th - Sun 9th June

Exmoor Rail - Minehead, Somerset 
Sat 3rd August 2019

Plus more shows to be confimed...
Hope to see you there! 
https://youtu.be/sBKA_E2gnGs

2019-03-21_19-46-30.jpg

• Like 1

A short video taking a look at the current planned 2018 Display dates for Amiens 1918, my 009 Scale - WW1 Trench Railway. 
With 5 shows currently confirmed and more being planned, 2019 is certainly going be another busy year for the layout! 
Show List 2019;

Sat 8th - Sun 9th June

Sat 3rd August 2019

Hope to see you there! 

2019-03-21_19-46-30.jpg

Show List 2019;

Sat 8th - Sun 9th June

Sat 3rd August 2019

Hope to see you there! 

2019-03-21_19-46-30.jpg

Edited by SDJR7F88

What with Amiens 1918 and our Great Model Railway Challenge Blackadder Heat Layout "Go Forth", I've built up quite an interest in the history and rolling stock of Railway Operating Division (ROD), during the Great War.
What started with 3 Locomotives backdated for the GMRC has grown to a fleet of over 8 locomotives! With more on the work bench!
Just need to build a suitable layout for them now.

For more information and progress on the ROD fleet, check out my ROD Topic. 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/142222-railway-operating-division-rod-rtr-re-numbering-projects/

FB_IMG_1553508018266.jpg

FB_IMG_1553507996058.jpg

FB_IMG_1553533993636.jpg

FB_IMG_1553508038906.jpg

FB_IMG_1553507960962.jpg

FB_IMG_1553507922853.jpg

FB_IMG_1553533996548.jpg

• Like 3

Following my rather upbeat post about the new simplex, I've sadly had a bit of an accident...
Dirt had gotten into the pickups on my Minitrains Brigadelok, so dicided to remove the body to access the pickups. I popped off the wrong screws and all the gears popped out. After 2 hours of trying to get the pickups and gears back in, accidentally snapping the contacts the head lights! Not only that, I then found one of the pins that holds the rods on had sherd clean off. :(
Sadly think this one's a write-off.

IMG_20190328_132808.jpg

IMG_20190328_135123.jpg

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to read about that, Callum. We've all been there when one thing after another goes wrong.

Could it be fixed? This might sound like an absolute lash-up but if the wheels still rotate as normal, you could potentially stick the head of the pin back on to the rod to cover the sheared end and rely on the rod on the other side to turn the axle? I'm pretty sure I did this on a loco before.

The headlights could just be a re-soldering job?

• Friendly/supportive 1

23 hours ago, Corbs said:

Sorry to read about that, Callum. We've all been there when one thing after another goes wrong.

Could it be fixed? This might sound like an absolute lash-up but if the wheels still rotate as normal, you could potentially stick the head of the pin back on to the rod to cover the sheared end and rely on the rod on the other side to turn the axle? I'm pretty sure I did this on a loco before.

The headlights could just be a re-soldering job?

Thanks Corbs. Will have another look possibly next weekend before Nailsea. I tried to assemble it without the gears, but it seemed to Jam up, due to the length and number of wheels. 

I managed to source a replacement locomotive, which will need weathering, however, my wallet is £145 lighter :/ 

A much overdue  update on the Amiens 1918 - my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway. 
The past few months certainly have been very busy for the layout. Back in January, the Layout marked it's first Anniversary, with it's 17th Show in a Year! With so many shows, as you can imagine, there a bit of maintenance to do.
Work in this update includes finally getting around to creating a Plaque Board, for mounting the Show Plaques gained at various exhibitions, as well as repairing the adjustable legs and hessian skirt. We also take the first look at a little project I've been working on, as well as discussing future plans and shows for the layout.
Hope you enjoy!

https://youtu.be/MGCv_q5dWCk

2019-03-31_19-10-45.jpg

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Had a wonderful weekend with Amiens 1918 at the Nailsea & District Model Railway Exhibition. The new Protected Simplex has certainly be taking up the miles. 
Now to store a few things and give the layout a good clean for TRAINWEST 2019 at Corsham, next weekend. 

IMG_20190407_101036.jpg

IMG_20190407_153943_1.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, barrymx5 said:

Good to see you again at Nailsea. 

You too Barry. Really was an excellent little show! 

Got to get a few more things sorted on the layout for it's next out, next weekend :)

• Agree 1

6th & 7th April 2019 saw the Nailsea & District Model Railway Club host their annual Model Railway Exhibition, at Nailsea School, Somerset. This years line-up featured no less than 19 layouts in a variety of gauges and scales, including my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway - Amiens 1918, as well as a good selection of Trade Stands and Demos. Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuB88owoklU

Nailsea-Model-Railway-Exhib.jpg

A short slideshow showing the construction of my WW1 Protected Simplex, in 009 Scale.
First constructed in 1916, the Simplex is a small petrol powered locomotive, designed for haul men, supplies and materials, over the WDLR Network on the Western Front. 3 Designs were build, featuring Open, Protected and Armored variants. This White Metal kit, produced by Mosskito Models, features the option to create either the Protected or Armored version of the Simplex. 
For my first White Metal / 009 Scale Kit the build was very simple, with most parts going together nice and easy. Creating the roof for the Protected version, is a little fiddly at times. The model is powered by a TomyTec HM-01 Motor Bogie, which with a slight modification to plastic shell, fits neatly inside the Simplex Body.
The Simplex join the fleet on my WW1 Trench Railway - Amiens 1918, and can now be seen in action hauling troops, materials and supplies to the front.
Hope you enjoy!
https://youtu.be/eVv8dat2n_4

2019-04-11_07-09-36.jpg

Another update on Amiens 1918 - my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway. 
After a successful outing to the Nailsea & District Model Railway Exhibition, work continues on repairing and improving parts of the layout.
In this update we take a look at a few changes that have been made, including the improved track plan in the fiddle yard. However, there has been a slight accident involving one of the members of the Amien's fleet, which is currently awaiting repair.
It's now all hands on deck, to get the layout ready for it's next outing this coming weekend (Sat 13th - Sun 14th April) at TRAINWEST 2019, at Fordham, Wiltshire.
See you there!
https://youtu.be/ae9uDyij_Co

2019-04-12_16-56-50.jpg

• Like 2

An excellent first day. In the end all work out well with Amiens 1918, car however is going in for repairs next week. 

Managed to have a quick look around during the last hour of the day, was amazing to see many of the layouts seen in here in the flesh and meet the people behind them. 

Roll on day 2! 

IMG_20190413_130012-02.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, No46 said:

One of the many brilliant layout exhibiting at Trainwest this year.

It was fantastic to finally meet you and your layout in person. Excellent modelling skills, thank you for sharing your layout. 

Many thanks indeed! Was great to meet you there :) Really has been an excellent show so far, dispite the mornings car dramas ;)