More 3D - adding something new every week

Everone has their own ideas on glazing, I have found I can glaze using Glue n Glaze. Just need some thin clear plastic on backing.

Chassis , I see no problem, just need a chassis plate, fit the bogies to this and it then sits inside base of coach chassis.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Gold

One of the chaps in our O gauge group actually built nearly 20 coaches for Pendon in OO.

When he did a couple of demos last year he said he used clear PETG sheet (the 20 thou version).  Available from Eileens and poss others

https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=category&task=listing&cid=1116&name=eileens-clear-styrene-petg-sheet&Itemid=189

One advantage of the clear polythene bags material is that it is free, and most of us have loads of it. Glue n Glaze is usually considered not suitable for anything other than small openings, but by using the glu n glaze to stick the polythene to back side of opening, it is then possible to get a thin coating across the gap. If it goes wrong,or breaks just redo. I've had too many glue smeared clear plastic to think it worth going back to traditional methods. 

When Railway Modeller go the trouble of publishing drawings for H&BR 4 wheel coaches, it makes sense to use themto create a 3D printed model. Unfortunately they only had drawings for 2 of the coache, but I was able to deduce one of the others. Nothing really that secial, unless you happen to be an H&BR modeller, but the coaches were sold onto other passenger and industrial railways, so migh prove useful for freelance modellers. I was more interested in encouraging RM to publish more coach drawings.

My designs here. I did not fit the lower steps as they are very thin and have very little support to chassis, easier to do witha bit of thin wire.

hull-barnsley-4w-all-3rd-1a.jpg  hull-barnsley-4w-brake-3rd-1a.jpghull-barnsley-4w-luggage-brake-1a.jpg

• Like 6

They need to be encouraged.

Plenty of railways that need coverage, such as the GER. I have not found any books of drawings anywhere.The GER society has no reference of any published work. Quite a bt of ex GER stock endeeup on other smaller railways, such as the Mid Suffolk 6 wheelers. I have outlines of those, but nothing more detailed.

With respect to the LSWR, G Weddell has covered coaches pretty well in his books. Many of his drawings of LSWR stock also appeared in MRC in the 70s. RM has had quite a few LSWR loco drawings over the years. overall the Southern railways are all pretty well covered.

• Like 1

I am interested in GER carriages, too, for the purposes of a club layout on which I am working (some old GER carriages seem to have been used on the North Woolwich branch in the early 1960s), so if anyone knows where  I can find diagrams of them, that would be most interesting.

The GER society has outline drawings online. HMRS do have some GER coaches, but it is sometimes difficut to work out which they are. Drawings of some shorter 4 wheelers were in MRC,but I am after the 6 wheelers(as used on Mid Suffolk).

I just find it odd that there was never a book of drawings produced.

With respect to the LSWR, G Weddell has covered coaches pretty well in his books. Many of his drawings of LSWR stock also appeared in MRC in the 70s. RM has had quite a few LSWR loco drawings over the years. overall the Southern railways are all pretty well covered.

I'm very glad to hear it. I still have hopes of a four-car unit of Emigrant stock. I did consider hacking these out of Farish suburbans, but they'd need quite a lot of work and the bodyshell still wouldn't really be right.

As for saloon No 17 on Shapeways, what kind of quality is 'smooth fine detail plastic' in comparison with a Farish suburban? I'm still very much a beginner when it comes to 3D materials.

The smooth plastic is a smoother, it can still have print ridges, but I have not heard of any problems. One reason I am offering it for N gauge is that I was asked, but having seen some, I think it worth the small increase in price. I is also easier for me to design, as I don't have to alter design as much when reducing in size/scale.

There is an een finer printed plastic, which can be offered if asked for. I cost a little bit more, but for N gauge price is still reasonable.

There is an een finer printed plastic, which can be offered if asked for. I cost a little bit more, but for N gauge price is still reasonable.

If 'reasonable' is the odd pound or two then I'd be happy to pay that for a one-off coach like Saloon No 17. The SECR brake van was somewhat rough, but you can get away with that in an old, careworn brake van. It's not so easy with a coach.

On the whole, I have found with the larger coaches(bogie), therr has not been any problem with either fine or basic material. only if there is extra detail, or less straightforward shape does it have an effect. The sallon is pretty basic in shape. I seem to remember the finest plastic works out about £5 more per coach than the less fine which itseld is about a £5 more than the basic.

Thought I should get back to the GWR railcars and start to tackle those curves!

Railcar no 18 seemed the obvious next one to do, so I am then working back throgh the designs.

The curve of roof above cabs is not quite right, but probably better in reality, and would need some smoothing anyway.

gwr-railcar-18-1a.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Frustrating. A model gets printed OK several times then gets rejected. Odd thing is that the error picture was misleading, and itself contradicted the minimum size for a part, but on closer inspection I noticed something that might have triggered the rejection, but they did not mention that, so I modified the design slightly. The model was the standard gauge Simplex loco in 1/43 scale.Sometimes I wonder if it is worth while adding that little extra detail!

Whist waiting for some more info on the GER brakevans, I thought the other GER stock used on the Mid Suffolk Light Railway would be a good idea. The bookonly has outlne drawins, and no end drawings, but got details of the panelling and ends from HMRS site. Not exactly the same coach,but photos in book showed the differences. GER stock does seem to have a lot of small differences.

Also for some reason these two coaches are slightly different lengths, although the chassis seem to be same length.

ger-mslr-6w-brake-third-coach-1a.jpg

ger-mslr-6w-composite-coach-1a.jpg

The composite is also unusual as it has a luggage compartment. Each end has a 3rd and 1st class compartmentt, with toilets for the first class. Only one end seems to have bvents in roof(mayb one end was for smokes, but not the other).

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

With the recent release of a model of the Stirling Single, I thought it would need some suitale coaches. Granted the model is a bit of a mixture, so I decided best period would be the LNER replca ECJS train. From photos I think I have identied it used 3 coach types. A luggage brake, an all third and a lavatory third(in 1st class mode).

There are two luggage brakes preserved, both in GNR livery. Both are slightly different, one have 3 panels a ends of sides and one having 4 .The drawings in Ken Houle's book show a corridor version with 4 panels, but it seems thery did vary. I hae chosed the 3 panel verson as it is the one used in the 1938 train. I am asumin size wize it is the same.

The Kav third, looks like what is a first class coach in the 1938 set. The NER classified it as 3rd class, but size wize I think it probably started out as a first class coach.

The other coach looks like a standard 5 compartment 3rd class coach. The nearest I can find for this is a GNR one. I don't think it would have ever ran in ECJS trains, as most of the coaches had a toilet, which I think would have been essential on long distance trains. Having said that one of the drawings in book shows a brake third with no toilet!

It might not be absolutely correct, but I think something close to the 1938 replica set is best or modellers. Can easily be run with othe bigger LNER locos of the period.

ecjs-6w-luggage-brake-1a.jpg

ecjs-6w-lav-3rd-coach-1a.jpg

ecjs-6w-all-3rd-coach-1a.jpg

I have kept roofs simple, as difficult to work out where riof vents were placed. They were certainly not evenly spced, or same both sides.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 3

With the recent release of a model of the Stirling Single, I thought it would need some suitale coaches. Granted the model is a bit of a mixture, so I decided best period would be the LNER replca ECJS train. From photos I think I have identied it used 3 coach types. A luggage brake, an all third and a lavatory third(in 1st class mode).

There are two luggage brakes preserved, both in GNR livery. Both are slightly different, one have 3 panels a ends of sides and one having 4 .The drawings in Ken Houle's book show a corridor version with 4 panels, but it seems thery did vary. I hae chosed the 3 panel verson as it is the one used in the 1938 train. I am asumin size wize it is the same.

The Kav third, looks like what is a first class coach in the 1938 set. The NER classified it as 3rd class, but size wize I think it probably started out as a first class coach.

The other coach looks like a standard 5 compartment 3rd class coach. The nearest I can find for this is a GNR one. I don't think it would have ever ran in ECJS trains, as most of the coaches had a toilet, which I think would have been essential on long distance trains. Having said that one of the drawings in book shows a brake third with no toilet!

It might not be absolutely correct, but I think something close to the 1938 replica set is best or modellers. Can easily be run with othe bigger LNER locos of the period.

ecjs-6w-luggage-brake-1a.jpg

ecjs-6w-lav-3rd-coach-1a.jpg

ecjs-6w-all-3rd-coach-1a.jpg

I have kept roofs simple, as difficult to work out where riof vents were placed. They were certainly not evenly spced, or same both sides.

The 1938 train was made up of four diagrams - Diagram 84 lavatory first / Diag. 155 lavatory compo (ie 31lav13) / Diag. 245 third / Diag. 303 luggage brake.  And incidentally Mike trice has already done these in 3!

Chris KT

I have seen kits in 3D and laser cut, but only in one scale. I aim to do complete bodies in several scales. More people these days are not building kits. There is also nothing in rule book to stop more than one person doing models. Everyone has their preferences,and having a choice of different types gives more people a chance to choose what suits them. For the many, not the few.

Thanks for that diagram list. I actually have done a comp lav, assuming that is the one in Ken Hoole's book. Getting the info is most difficult part of operation, not helped as much is not published or documented properly. On checking HMRS site, it was difficult to work out which diagrams were which. I mean the D numbers, as they are not always cross listed.

• RMweb Gold

All of the info in either GA or Diagram form is out there for those 4.  Also Ken Hoole would not be my first point of reference. 

Re- the point about people not making kits. The body is the easiest part of these to do, what are you going to suggest for the undergubbins, W irons and floating centre axle ?

Why not add a floor ?

• RMweb Gold

All of the info in either GA or Diagram form is out there for those 4.  Also Ken Hoole would not be my first point of reference. 

Re- the point about people not making kits. The body is the easiest part of these to do, what are you going to suggest for the undergubbins, W irons and floating centre axle ?

Why not add a floor ?

Will the Brassmasters Cleminson kit do for these?