More 3D - adding something new every week

No hurry, now I have the Highland book. Just wanted to do something Scottish.

I have also had a look at my ex LSWR 3SUB. Made a small change to roof profile, based on drawings in Gordon Weddell's book. Will be interesting to do coaches for the Highland designed by same as designed those for LSWR.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Highland coaching stock lasted quite well but  LMS was quite quick with newer secondhand / cascaded stock on longer runs. The 6 wheel stock was used on the branches but even than barely lasted to the 1930s Some good pics on the web

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/page/show_home_page.html well worth a look , has many of the Highland railway society photos as well.

Certainly any coaches will be welcomed by HR modellers as quite a comprehensive range in 4mm and 7mm.  I look forward to what develops - thanks

Robert 

• Like 1

I have Peter Tatlow's book, which covers most Highland stock. Unfortunately it does not have the Sutherland coach which is being restored at Beamish, and previously had been at the RH&DR and also in Canada. I do have a drawing, I found online, and can work out missing info from photos. There were also some very nice short coaches with curved windowed ends(1st saloons?). Plenty of the bogire coaches did survive in revenue service into BR days, but some had been rebuilt. Plenty to have a go at, and I wanted something which not only ticked the Scotland box but was LMS as well.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

The Beamish site was very useful. Excellent photos of it when it arrived, especally the saloon end as the windows are dfferent to the other end.I am justmaking a few adjustments whch I noticed.

There are some othe Highland coaches which I want to do, such as the 1st class saloon coaches designed by Jones. Nice angled ends. I am happy to take suggestions. 

• Like 1

I,ve wanted todo the ex GER brake coach on the WCPR, but had been unsure of some details. I am now fairly confident, so unless some new photos appear, this will have to be it. Coach design on the GER evolved, and I have worked through many of those in that chain. The 27ft 4 wheel coach seems to nicely fit betwen the older 4 wheelers and the newer 6 wheelers. I am still not sure on how it looked in GER days, initially thinking the duckets would have been at end, but now think they may be net to the doors, in similar style to those on the 6 wheelers, and I only realised at last minute that th panels and windows are different to those ob other GER coaches(5 panels not 6)

WCPR-ger-brake-coach-1a.jpgWCPR-ger-brake-coach-1b.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Beamish happen to have the constructional drawings for the small SR saloon. I know as the curator emailed them to me. I'm not sure I've still got them (I've had a major email crash which also took out hard discs) as I'm not sure they got transferred to the back up.

I've also got the Wolverton drawings of the large saloon........

Andy G

Beamish happen to have the constructional drawings for the small SR saloon. I know as the curator emailed them to me. I'm not sure I've still got them (I've had a major email crash which also took out hard discs) as I'm not sure they got transferred to the back up.

I've also got the Wolverton drawings of the large saloon........

Andy G

It surprised me that the drawings were not in the book. The large saloon would be nice,and then there is the older one which went to the Cambrian Railway

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It was a gamble, but I don't think I can get it any close without original drawings. Even the GER outline/working diagrams are not completely correct sometimes.

Did you see the reference to the GER brake in the latest issue of the Colonel, which fortuitously arrived today?

There's an email from the GER society. The coach was No 181, sold to the WC&P in October 1916. A GER diagram 508 vehicle, body length 27ft, one of 56 built. Coach 181 was built in Dec 1880 and with drawn in Dec 1915.

The original GA was microfilmed by OPC and is at the NRM, ref 11076. The description is Main Line Brake Van, The Stratford Works drawing number is 6124 but don't use that for searching apparently.

Apologies if this information is already known to you in your investigations, but I thought I'd share just in case.

Edited by ullypug
  • Like 1

Did you see the reference to the GER brake in the latest issue of the Colonel, which fortuitously arrived today?

There's an email from the GER society. The coach was No 181, sold to the WC&P in October 1916. A GER diagram 508 vehicle, body length 27ft, one of 56 built. Coach 181 was built in Dec 1880 and with drawn in Dec 1915.

The original GA was microfilmed by OPC and is at the NRM, ref 11076. The description is Main Line Brake Van, The Stratford Works drawing number is 6124 but don't use that for searching apparently.

Apologies if this information is already known to you in your investigations, but I thought I'd share just in case.

Yes, Albyn had contacted GER society at my request, and I had the info. From working through the ex GER coaches I have built up a pretty good idea of how they evolved. There are no photos of these coaches in GER days as far as I know ,certainly none recorded online. The photos on WCPR site and from Albyn, only show one side, but at least the other end is seen in the crash photo. From the diagram for the later 6 wheel version, which has the same odd mixture of left and right handed windows in doors on viewed side, I deduced something similar on on other side(but in this case all left handers).For some reason the window in the guard's end is nearer to the end, I presume for some operational reason. The drawing at NRM might confirm this, but I may only get hold of a copy if I decide to do the original GER version, as I want more info on the duckets, which I now think are next to the door, not at the end. 

The WCPR ones are now up and running and available.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It surprised me that the drawings were not in the book. The large saloon would be nice,and then there is the older one which went to the Cambrian Railway

Well really they weren't typical of HR stock, and at no time were they owned by the HR, so I was actually quite surprised to see any of them in there.

Andy G

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, Albyn had contacted GER society at my request, and I had the info. From working through the ex GER coaches I have built up a pretty good idea of how they evolved. There are no photos of these coaches in GER days as far as I know ,certainly none recorded online. The photos on WCPR site and from Albyn, only show one side, but at least the other end is seen in the crash photo. From the diagram for the later 6 wheel version, which has the same odd mixture of left and right handed windows in doors on viewed side, I deduced something similar on on other side(but in this case all left handers).For some reason the window in the guard's end is nearer to the end, I presume for some operational reason. The drawing at NRM might confirm this, but I may only get hold of a copy if I decide to do the original GER version, as I want more info on the duckets, which I now think are next to the door, not at the end. 

The WCPR ones are now up and running and available.

I've ordered one and hopefully will be able to build it before Clevedon's next outing at Preston in March next year. 247 Developments do the corresponding WCPR wagon/coach plates by the way. I commissioned them from Errol years ago and they're still in the range.

• Like 1

I've ordered one and hopefully will be able to build it before Clevedon's next outing at Preston in March next year. 247 Developments do the corresponding WCPR wagon/coach plates by the way. I commissioned them from Errol years ago and they're still in the range.

Noticed, so presumed it was you, thanks . Knowing my luck someone will now find a photo showing other side.

Preston, I might be able to get to that , hopefully not cancelled by bad weather this time!

• Like 1

As I have now done something Scottish, I felt I should do something Welsh.I have book on the Rhymney Railway, with drawings in 7mm/ft, so easy to work from, and picked a couple of small bogie coaches which are a bit different to other railways.

RR-brk-3rd-two-open-saloon-coach-1a.jpgRR-3rd-two-open-saloon-coach-1a.jpg

Three of the no brake coaches were adapted by the GWR for autocoach trains and lasted into the 50s.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

I can't find this on the listing, has it been released yet?

It is there, maybe difficult to find on Shapeways, but link is on my website, which I recommend for anyone trying to find my models

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com/3D-printing/passenger-stock-lms/3d_printed-hr-coaches.htm

Edited by rue_d_etropal