More 3D - adding something new every week

I wonder how many of the Rails Dynamometer cars will actually be run. Also I did not think it should only be OO modellers who had one!

Brake van looks good, wonky handrails, probab a minor bump in reality!

I have finished the observation car, N, TT3 Ho and OO scales. I will eventually do the other Coronation coaches, as well as the Silver Link ones.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Feeling a lot more confident about complex curves, so working my way through GWR railcars, backwards. I have both OPC and WS books(plus supliment somewhere), but for some reason the drawings for railcars 2-4(and therefore one of those preserved) are not as good as the others. There was a lot of controversy when these books came out(not long after Wild Swan started up, and I have heard some of the reasons!) , but the WS book(Jim Russell) has drawings for most done by Richard Bird. Odd thing is that he did not do railcars 2-4, but did do the orignal Hardy one. There are a lot of drawings in the OPC book, but the 'modellers' ones are a bit odd, and the one for railcars 2-4 does not look quite right., in particular the cab side windows, but it could be an optical illusion.

Anyway I have done the first of the parcels ralcars, no17. The basic shape is very similar to  railcars 5 through to 16, so it should be relatiely easy to do those based on it. I will do a version with side plates removed. Thee were also a number of small changes over the years , but willleave those up to the modeller.  Some smoothing of cab rof might be required, I got it as close as possible, but it is a mixture of complex curves.

gwr-parcels-railcar-no-17-1a.jpg

• Like 1

as I thought, not too difficult to do the passenger version. This is the one Dapol have done for OO, but obviously I have done it or other scales as well. Some small changes over the years, but best to check photos to see what each looked like at a particular time.

gwr-railcar-no-5-16-1a.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

With the news that Rails had commissioned an Oo model of the now restored NER petrol electric autocar/rilcar, I thought I had better have another look at my design, add the original version as well as the trailer coach. The only difference with the original version of the railcar is that the original had a smaller luggage compartment(one door only). There were various small mods done over the years. I have noticed that the preserved railcar had later LNER oval buffers, not the original NER eliptical ones, like the ones fitted to the trailer coach.

ner-PE-autocar-orig-1a.jpgner-autocar-trailer-1a.jpg

• Like 5

I have some more GCR coaches lined up.

As for the directorssaloon, I am still not completely happy about detail of ends. Most of the drawings in Dow's book are good enough to work from. With so much to choose from(not just GCR) I am having to work mainly on items with good info/drawing. I don't have the time to analyse photos, except for checking detail against drawings.

I don't want to get stuk working on only one region/railway, so move around. Next will hopefully be LMS related.

One area I have not done is Scotland. I have a few drawings but would rather tackle something suggeted(assuming there are drawings available)

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• RMweb Gold

Got a request for some GCR coaches.

Started with the classic American styled Barnum coaches

Original condition, I plan to do the modified ones as well.

gcr-barnum-open-3rd-saloon-brake-coach-1

gcr-barnum-open-3rd-saloon-coach-1a.jpg

Not claiming to be an expert, but the bodyside/profile doesn't look right, what drawings were you working from?

Those in Dow's book. which match those done by someone else (Nick Campling?).

Matchboards?
London suburbans?

As for Scottish prototype ideas, NBR coaching stock is none existent.
Some late NBR suburban stock lasted into BR days so....

Source of drawings?

NBR = Contact the North British Railway Study Group. They should be very interested in your endeavours..

They do do a reprint of the auld George Sewell book - "NBR Coaches: A Design Review".

• Like 1

Odd is an understatement, but they do owe some of their design to that used for the Southport electrics.They were 10ft wide, so maybe they crudely adjusted it to fit the 9ft width. I wonder if the chassis is wider than it really needs to be, but it was obviously strong, and meant they lasted a long time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I finally bought one of Simon's 3D prints, it's one of the WC&PR Railcars. After much thought I plumped for WSF over FUD as wanted something a bit more robust.

Very impressed with the quality, love it!
post-898-0-95688200-1544041617_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Needed to do something different. I have had drawings for the MR/NSR battery electric loco for a while, and thouht it would be simple, Then I realise what was labelled as MR was more like the NSR version, so cross checked with photos. Have had a stab at the Midland version , as well as the NSR version.

These are the 1/32 scale ones, so a bit more detail possible.

midland-battery-electric-loco-1a.jpg

NSR-battery-electric-loco-1a.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Those in Dow's book. which match those done by someone else (Nick Campling?).

Source of drawings?

Bit of a misundrstanding, I was looking for NBR coaches. The July 1960 MRC has some nice GCR coachdrawings which show some deail not in Dow's book.

I have just got hold of book on Highland coaches so plan to do some of those, although the first coach I want to do is not in the bok, but I have a drawing found online and ther are goo photos to show missing detail.

• Like 1