The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Which sports/tourer? Japanese/European motorcycles

Pete 75C

I think I've posted this before elsewhere.

But this is the second  bike I chose when I came back out of "riding retirement" a couple of years back - a TRX 850 Parallel twin

Initially I bought a brand new Thruxton but just couldn't get on with it, so sold it on quite quickly and ended up with the T-Rex for under a third of the price.

I really wanted one when they were new but, for one reason or another I always seemed to end up with something else.

It's Not overly powerful but has tonnes of nice creamy midrange grunt. You can ring it's neck in the twisty stuff without being intimidated and it sounds pretty good with it's 270 degree crank and slip on Cans. (in fact it sounds more like a 90 degree V twin than a typical parallel twin).

It's 20 years old this year - does that make it vintage ?? :D

attachicon.gifTRX.jpg

Funny you mention a TRX.  For the last few years a group of friends and I disappear off to either the Eifel region of Germany or the Black Forest each year.

One of those friends has and uses his TRX for these trips. We usually put in 2500+ miles on each trip and it's never missed a beat including several laps of

the Nurburgring each time. We don't hang about either so the bikes do get worked hard.

Its a lovely old thing and so full of character. Mind you my weapon of choice for the trips is my Aprilia Shiver GT. Also not your natural touring bike but I do love

a good V-twin.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The safety issue is not about the bike, nor necessarily about the other myopic idiots on the road who never use their mirror. It is about reactions. In our teens and twenties we think and react very well, but these talents diminish as we age. There is a recognised syndrome of successful older men finally achieving yoof dreams by buying fast machines - 2-wheel or 4 - and discovering that they can no longer hack it when enjoying the thrill. They don't all live to tell the tale.

The safety issue is not about the bike, nor necessarily about the other myopic idiots on the road who never use their mirror. It is about reactions. In our teens and twenties we think and react very well, but these talents diminish as we age. There is a recognised syndrome of successful older men finally achieving yoof dreams by buying fast machines - 2-wheel or 4 - and discovering that they can no longer hack it when enjoying the thrill. They don't all live to tell the tale.

Well, yes. I've had bikes in the past, that I wouldn't ride now. That's part of why I had one last go at racing...

Yes, and so are the artistic random patterns formed by the scraping of your helmet along the tarmac.

I have always refused to be a pillion on any bike, despite a friend's regular attempts at trying to convince me to sample his ex-police BMWs. I just don't like the idea that he might lose his self-control and bury the throttle. Now this might sound a bit a funny from someone who is invariably found on a horse at weekends, but at least I have a reasonable idea of what my horse is capable of and I have direct control.

On a motorbike, I have no control of the bike, and no control over the enthusiastic fool trying to show me that it's actually a safe way to travel.

As a rider I'm a very reluctant pillion. In fact in near 30 years I can only think of two people who haven't scared the hell out of me. Oddly enough one of them had something of a reputation as the local nutter which I'm worried might say something about my own riding at the time :D.

I''ve always had to tell myself that the guy on the front doesn't want to die either. This is probably true but too many people seem both ignorant of how to achieve this and unaware of their ignorance. For myself, I've exceeded my limitations often enough that I've got a fairly accurate idea of where they are :D.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have had to give up riding bigger bikes due to hip surgery, but the amount of fun that can be had here in a motorway free island on a CRF250 motard is quite enough!  Mrs H does have an old airhead BMW 800 but that would not suit Pete at all (Chris - the new ones share absolutely no technology with them other than they are opposed twins).  I'm told the new wave naked 750 and 900 Yams are good, but they look like a box of frogs.  A new T100 I had got sold as its suspension wasn't up to the bumpy roads over here and was a bit slow.

Any brand giant trailie might suit - they go well, are very comfortable and have a road presence that other road users actually notice.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 1

The trouble with 'rice rocket's is that they become suicycles for the mid lifers trying to relive their youth.

Thanks for that. That's a really useful post...

:no:

Mrs H does have an old airhead BMW 800 but that would not suit Pete at all.

I certainly don't mind the look of the old K75RS/K100RS, they just don't speak to me in a "Buy Me" kind of way. I haven't ruled BMWs out, I'd just need to at least see one in the flesh.

Also, one of the reasons for wanting something a bit older is that I cannot abide the pseudo-futuristic look of some of the latest machines. 4 little bug-eye headlights, one of top of another (for example)? It's just not for me, unfortunately.

• RMweb Gold

After reading some of the "helpful comments". Unfortunately I think, that turned out to be wishful thinking :(

Sadly that would appear to be the case.  When this is a thread started by the OP to ask specifically about others about what bike he could buy I just don't see the need for this sort of reply from anyone.  Stereotyping is neither factual or helpful.

I would be interested in a useful discussion to assist the OP on his choice but not in the opinion of those that know little of the subject but who would prefer to castigate us all as lunatics/donors!

OK, well the weekend has given me a test ride (more of a back-lane blast) on big brother's 1994 CBR1000F that he's owned from new. It now only gets wheeled out of the garage on sunny Sundays and has racked up a staggering 82 miles since last year's MOT. A big comfy sports-tourer, a very heavy machine until on the move when all the weight just seems to disappear and it becomes more "sport" than "tourer". Too big and ugly for me though. Having got home, I did a little research into the smaller, lighter CBR600F. Supposedly very reliable and a top-seller, it's just a bit too "chin down, @rse up" for me and the riding position looks similar to the old GSXRs that I used to ride. Advancing years would appear to point to flatter bars (or at least higher clip-ons) and lower footpegs being the sensible choice.

I now have a shortlist of 5, but no rush.

• Like 1

Yes, and so are the artistic random patterns formed by the scraping of your helmet along the tarmac.

I have always refused to be a pillion on any bike, despite a friend's regular attempts at trying to convince me to sample his ex-police BMWs. I just don't like the idea that he might lose his self-control and bury the throttle. Now this might sound a bit a funny from someone who is invariably found on a horse at weekends, but at least I have a reasonable idea of what my horse is capable of and I have direct control.

On a motorbike, I have no control of the bike, and no control over the enthusiastic fool trying to show me that it's actually a safe way to travel.

I'd love to see you ride pillion on an ex Plod bike, I've never seen one that's not been a single seater!

I've had this argument before with a colleague re horse v bike and which is safest..........

His wife owns an ex racing nag called Shamrock............

I think his vid is still on YouTube...........

Forgot to mention that the shortlist is...

Honda VFR750.

Honda VFR800.

Triumph Speed Triple (original 1994/95/96 model).

Kawasaki GPZ900R.

Yamaha TRX850.

The GPZ is slowly slipping down the list. It's becoming harder to find a good, original one and could potentially become a money pit. Yes, I know the Triumph is about as Japanese as I am, but tell me it doesn't look good...

post-17811-0-46453000-1498462238.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to mention that the shortlist is...

Honda VFR750.

Honda VFR800.

Triumph Speed Triple (original 1994/95/96 model).

Kawasaki GPZ900R.

Yamaha TRX850.

The GPZ is slowly slipping down the list. It's becoming harder to find a good, original one and could potentially become a money pit. Yes, I know the Triumph is about as Japanese as I am, but tell me it doesn't look good...

attachicon.gifTriumphSpeedTriple.jpg

Where's the layout going to go?

MIke.

I'd love to see you ride pillion on an ex Plod bike, I've never seen one that's not been a single seater!

Reminds me of the day my rear tyre blew out just as the M23 ends northbound at Coulsdon. Managed to guide the bike onto the hard shoulder and sat there for 15 minutes wondering whether to leave it and start walking. Just then two coppers pulled up on bikes. One of them very kindly gave me a lift off of the motorway to a petrol station about a mile and a half away so I could make some phone calls. I cannot for the life of me remember what their bikes were. 1995 ish, so they may have been BMWs or Hondas? No pillion seat, no rear footpegs but it was possible, just not desperately comfortable. I do remember sliding about all over the place on the plastic cowling where the pillion seat should have been! Thanks gents.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

Too much plastic, and it looks very back heavy.

I beg to differ. That's too much plastic...

post-17811-0-33541200-1498463326.jpg

Edited by Pete 75C

• RMweb Gold

I did a little research into the smaller, lighter CBR600F. Supposedly very reliable and a top-seller, it's just a bit too "chin down, @rse up" for me and the riding position looks similar to the old GSXRs that I used to ride. Advancing years would appear to point to flatter bars (or at least higher clip-ons) and lower footpegs being the sensible choice.

Probably the last one I rode seriously, Was fairly light and fun but could get you into some scrapes if you daydreamed for a few seconds.  Don't remember it being a cheap machine to own, but might be more about my income then.

Yamaha FZ750(?) after that, didn't enjoy it at all and as can be seen have pretty much forgotten it.

If you feel like a trip to Oz I'd be more than happy to lend you the T - Rex for a couple of days for a try ;)

Although if I'm to be honest, it probably fits a little bit into what you were saying about the big Kwaka.

It's so hard to find a good one I literally saw dozens of them before the right one at the right price came along. Also they are a bit of a unique beast, even as far as just doing the oil changes, one must follow certain procedures :D

• Like 1