Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold

Well that certainly is a call from my own past for sure.What a bizarrely shaped platform arrangement that was.Any idea of the date ?

Aberdare had several 'pet' 56XX which were used on Vale of Neath trains and that appears to be one of them (at Aberdare High Level I believe) as they were kept very clean, unlike many Aberdare engines.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed it is that peculiar offset High Level platform arrangement with an eastbound train bound .....probably.....for Pontypool Road.Note the truncated platform edge The access road ran right up to it under the retaining wall,the top of which was opposite to the westbound (Neath) platform.News of 86J having pet locos is intriguing.I never knew that.....as an old Gadlys Bridge lag.Passenger workings on the line were shared between Neath,Pontypool Road and Aberdare.

It occurs to me now,years later, that I was born about 500yards to the right of where that photograph was taken.Both station  (as it then was) and the hospital on Abernant Road are gone..... :senile:

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Here you go Ian - a beautifully cleaned 6673 standing in the bay at Pontypool Road ready to haul me back to Quakers Yard (HL) in late 1962.  And blow me but a careful look confirms it is actually in lined green  :sungum: 

post-6859-0-14478200-1499250777_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

And did you hang your head out of the window as it squealed its progress over the Crumlin Viaduct ? That bay platform brings back so many memories.For long periods during the day nothing disturbed the station's rural idyll...and then it would spring frenetically into life for a while...only to return to calm with nothing seeming to happen. The "big event" of the day was the arrival at about !:30 pm of a North to West  train headed usually by a Longsight Scot or rebuilt Patriot. This returned North with its balancing working at about 3:15 pm after the two portions of its train arrived from the West of England and Cardiff/Swansea.There was a crossover at the mid point of the island platform I seem to recall which was used for this purpose.

Anyway thanks Mike for the nostalgic photo.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many of my memories of Pontypool Road in those days are of being on trains stopped there.  Even if there wasn't a loco change, it always seemed to be for a long time and to no obvious purpose, at least from a passenger compartment, while the action was frustratingly obscured by the rakes of NPCCS on the sidings between you and the freight avoiding roads; one could hear things going on, but not see them  If it was your destination, of course, there was plenty to see once you'd got away from the station, one of those places where there was so much activity that it is difficult to believe now, with yards, junctions, engine shed, carriage sidings, steelworks, all replaced by housing and modern industrial units, with an up and down main line almost ashamed to admit to it's current depleted state as it skulks through a cutting.  How are the mighty fallen, and what would Ivor the Engine's 'steam crane from Pontypool Road' that always had to be called upon to rescue him think?

• RMweb Gold

There are no short journeys to the Top Left Hand Corner Of Wales, even from other parts of the Top Left Hand Corner Of Wales, as the geography is a bit lumpy and gets in the way.  Wales would be bigger than England if wit was ever ironed out flat.  In reality one suspects that Ivor's breakdown would have come from Chester, or perhaps Llandudno Junction, or even Crewe if he'd really got himself in a mess, but it would still have been a long journey.

• RMweb Gold

The gods did indeed tried to iron Wales flat, but a crease got left in the way.

In mining & geological terms, it's called the Pontypridd anticline. It's a huge feature in the south Wales coalfield.

Ian.

• RMweb Gold

The former Aberdare high level station is just down the road from us. It appeared to be subjected to a restoration around ten years ago, but unfortunately succumbed to vandalism and disrepair in the years that followed, falling into a very sad and neglected state. Fortunately the station is now being extensively repaired as part of a plan to provide a cafe for the impressive new college being built adjacent to the station.

Oh, and my dad helped demolish Crumlin viaduct...

• RMweb Gold

The land of my fathers. My fathers can have it!

Funnily enough I'm supposed to be off to Wales tomorrow. Visiting Llangollen for beers and a journey (or two or three) behind the Standard Four Tank.  :locomotive: 

Jason

Well Dylan had a chip on his shoulder....fuelled by many a glass of ale.But if Wales causes you grief....as seems to be the case.....why bother to make the journey ?

• RMweb Gold

The land of my fathers. My fathers can have it!

Funnily enough I'm supposed to be off to Wales tomorrow. Visiting Llangollen for beers and a journey (or two or three) behind the Standard Four Tank. :locomotive:

Jason

Enjoy, I will be doing the same, but on the Mid-Hants (80078).

Roy

Well Dylan had a chip on his shoulder....fuelled by many a glass of ale.But if Wales causes you grief....as seems to be the case.....why bother to make the journey ?

When did I say that Wales causes me grief? People were joking about Wales. 

:scratchhead: 

As for the last bit.  Read my post.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Oh I know the purpose of your journey.Thing is I don't appreciate your sense of humour. I have heard the same record so many times that it palls on me..mostly patronising coming from this side of Offa's Dyke.

Jason

Oh I know the purpose of your journey.Thing is I don't appreciate your sense of humour. I have heard the same record so many times that it palls on me..mostly patronising coming from this side of Offa's Dyke.

Jason

​Are all The Welsh like this?

Not much of a welcome in the hillside is there?

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

• RMweb Gold

​Are all The Welsh like this?

Not much of a welcome in the hillside is there?

Just read your post on the Oxford Rail Dean Goods in which you register upset at someone's post.Fair enough...but then don't expect tolerance and latitude if you likewise cause others offence.....and don't therefore judge them if they take it.There is still I am sure a welcome for all in Wales. Are all "the Welsh " like what exactly? Hopefully no longer tolerant of being the butt of all too familiar patronising attempts at humour.No welcome for that.

Jason

Where did I cause offence? And how?

By quoting one of the few world renowned geniuses that Wales has ever created?

You can even buy T shirts with that quote on in Wales and I've also seen them in New York.

I also think a jokey throwaway comment is a bit different from a disaster in which 96 people died.

What are the Welsh like? By this evidence, a bit rude, thin skinned and humourless.

I know that's not totally true because most of them are lovely, especially the girls.

I'm leaving it at that. CBA with anything else on this matter.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

Where did I cause offence? And how?

By quoting one of the few world renowned geniuses that Wales has ever created?

You can even buy T shirts with that quote on in Wales and I've also seen them in New York.

I also think a jokey throwaway comment is a bit different from a disaster in which 96 people died.

What are the Welsh like? By this evidence, a bit rude, thin skinned and humourless.

I know that's not totally true because most of them are lovely, especially the girls.

I'm leaving it at that. CBA with anything else on this matter.

Jason

The original comment was totally unnecessary,out of context and wherever it came from, wherever it is written remains a cheap soundbite  however  many times it is quoted or misquoted

If you feel I am "rude" because I take exception to this then that is your take on the matter simply because I raise objection to what you post. I totally refute that because I  always try to maintain good manners while posting on this forum without causing hurt or offence either wittingly or unwittingly.My skin is worn by years of tiresome comments such as these .

Your connection is to the tragedy you quote is news to me.

Anyway, back on topic, just checked Hattons and the pre-order price has risen to £105 - a little bit out of my normal price range. Were any allocated in the West Midlands, does anyone know?

• RMweb Gold

Well, if he helped demolish it, he worked for my great-grandfather!

My father was a civil engineer; I think one of his first jobs - either before or after he graduated - was to do with taking down Crumlin. At some point he also worked in the BR drawing office. I'd ask him for more about his involvement but he died in 2009. I don't think he took any pride in being part of the demolition; it was just a job but it would have been marvellous if the viaduct could have been spared.

Here's my artistic "tribute" to my dad's involvement:

post-6720-0-58263700-1415396637.jpg

• Like 11

My father was a civil engineer; I think one of his first jobs - either before or after he graduated - was to do with taking down Crumlin. At some point he also worked in the BR drawing office. I'd ask him for more about his involvement but he died in 2009. I don't think he took any pride in being part of the demolition; it was just a job but it would have been marvellous if the viaduct could have been spared.

Here's my artistic "tribute" to my dad's involvement:

post-6720-0-58263700-1415396637.jpg

Lovely picture.  three firms tried to demolish the viaduct, and went bust whilst failing to work out a safe method.  Then Birds took over, and managed the task by laying a Bailey Bridge on top of the viaduct and removing it piece by piece.  It was a terrible waste of a marvellous asset, but that was the 1960s and the whole country was filled with people destroying the old and laying concrete...

Paul

• Like 1