• RMweb Gold

As the track for Brent nears completion, attention is finally turning to starting to build the scenic.

To this end one of the first jobs that is required will be the fitting of a back scene. I am looking for an off the shelf option, however the problem is that every photo back scene I have found for sale so far is limited to a maximum length of 20ft, whereas Brent will need a back scene which is closer to 30ft in length and about 15-18 inches in height.

My first thought was to try for a view of the Dartmoor hills which tower over the west end of Brent, however I am not so sure how I would manage certain areas (especially integrating the connection between roads and the river and the back scene.) I had thought about producing my own from photos, but again I suspect I would struggle to get the right positions (especially as I couldn’t take all the photos from one location given the length required / buildings etc getting in the way).

This has lead me to think about going for just a plain sky, but again the problem is that I cant find one which is more than 20ft in length.

So the questions,

Would a photo back scene taken at the real Brent be feasible to produce something circa 30ft In length whilst blending the two roads / river into it.

Or does anyone sell a 30ft sky back scene?

If you are going to take your own photographs of the Dartmoor background, you will need to be standing some way south of the railway line. When I took the photos for the Worseter, I was several miles away from the supposed location of the line. I took a range of shots with a zoom lens which were then 'stitched' together. Having the result printed on self adhesive vinyl was not expensive. Hope this helps.

Edited by Killybegs

• RMweb Gold

Thanks John,

Always interesting to hear from people who have been there and done it.  I think I will need to have a look and see if there is a location to the south of the railway which gives a good enough vantage point from which to take a series of photos.  I think it does have a lot of potential to improve the layout if I can get the hills into the background, particularly is it is such a key feature when you look to the west from the station.

On Worcester how did you deal with the back scene at a low level under the bridges where the canal meets the back scene?

I have been looking at back scenes recently too. I believe from what I have seen, that ID backscenes 'Hills & Dales' 207 series has A,B,C & D options, each one I believe links with the next and each one measures 10 ft by 15" high. With these you have the option of several combination such as A,B,C or C,D,A...or atleast I think this is how they link together in that A connects with D making a large 40ft circle in effect.

Hope this helps, my understanding may be wrong but that is what I understand from my looking around and comparing the example images online.

Jason

• RMweb Gold

I did look at that option, but the problem would remain that it doesn't match up with the prototype (the problem with modelling a real location I guess.)

More annoyingly ID don't produce a 40ft version of any of their plain sky options

Thanks John,

Always interesting to hear from people who have been there and done it.  I think I will need to have a look and see if there is a location to the south of the railway which gives a good enough vantage point from which to take a series of photos.  I think it does have a lot of potential to improve the layout if I can get the hills into the background, particularly is it is such a key feature when you look to the west from the station.

On Worcester how did you deal with the back scene at a low level under the bridges where the canal meets the back scene?

Firstly, I introduced a lock with the gates just in front of the back scene to create a break. I then cheated and moved some of the backscene lower where it is visible under the bridge. The depth of the bridge above the arch hides the join!

• RMweb Gold

As the track for Brent nears completion, attention is finally turning to starting to build the scenic.

To this end one of the first jobs that is required will be the fitting of a back scene. I am looking for an off the shelf option, however the problem is that every photo back scene I have found for sale so far is limited to a maximum length of 20ft, whereas Brent will need a back scene which is closer to 30ft in length and about 15-18 inches in height.

My first thought was to try for a view of the Dartmoor hills which tower over the west end of Brent, however I am not so sure how I would manage certain areas (especially integrating the connection between roads and the river and the back scene.) I had thought about producing my own from photos, but again I suspect I would struggle to get the right positions (especially as I couldn’t take all the photos from one location given the length required / buildings etc getting in the way).

This has lead me to think about going for just a plain sky, but again the problem is that I cant find one which is more than 20ft in length.

So the questions,

Would a photo back scene taken at the real Brent be feasible to produce something circa 30ft In length whilst blending the two roads / river into it.

Or does anyone sell a 30ft sky back scene?

I'm a plain sky man myself. But take a look at the Far North thread on here. He has some superb bespoke backscenes.

• RMweb Gold

I did look at that option, but the problem would remain that it doesn't match up with the prototype (the problem with modelling a real location I guess.)

More annoyingly ID don't produce a 40ft version of any of their plain sky options

Have you actually asked them that Rich ?

• RMweb Gold

Ask and you shall receive,  

Already received a response back from ID Backscenes, yes it is possible to get a 30ft sky backscene.  So I will be placing an order for the overcast day print tomorrow.

Are you tempted to go with the self adhesive vinyl backing type like the one on my fiddle yard. They are fade resistant and damp proof too.

• RMweb Gold

Are you tempted to go with the self adhesive vinyl backing type like the one on my fiddle yard. They are fade resistant and damp proof too.

That is the current thought, i much prefer the idea over having to glue it (and its not that much more expensive.)

• RMweb Premium

Ask and you shall receive,  

Already received a response back from ID Backscenes, yes it is possible to get a 30ft sky backscene.  So I will be placing an order for the overcast day print tomorrow.

Overcast day? I thought it was always sunny in Glorious Devon.

• RMweb Premium

Andy York and PMP (+ Chris Nevard?) are the Kings of backscene photo-shopping. PMP also has used some interesting wrap around techniques for his layouts. My only recent experience is having spoken to a local firm that produces banners of many types and there are some really interesting materials for use with photo printing in long lengths. Not cheap but very clever. 

Phil 

• RMweb Premium

If you are going to take your own photographs of the Dartmoor background, you will need to be standing some way south of the railway line. When I took the photos for the Worseter, I was several miles away from the supposed location of the line. I took a range of shots with a zoom lens which were then 'stitched' together. Having the result printed on self adhesive vinyl was not expensive. Hope this helps.

Without wanting to hijack the thread,

any suggestions for the best 'stitching' package?

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to some quick service from Art Printers, the backscene arrived in the post today and I am now ready to fit it. Does anyone have any advice as to how to best install a premium ID backscene?

The one area which I am not so sure how I will cover is the area behind the Avon bridge, my current thinking (inspired by John's Woucester) is to take a photo under the bridge and then use photoshop to blend it into another photo of the sky backscene in the same area. Then get this printed and cut to match the area in question.

One further question, will they be ok to be stuck onto unpainted hardboard and plasterboard, or should the latter be sealed first

Edited by The Fatadder