Virtual Railfan webcams

NickBrad

• RMweb Premium
On 03/04/2024 at 20:49, Johann Marsbar said:

However, as I subscribed to their channel (for free) when the Blue Island feed was originally on

How do you subscribe?

On live Trains site there is a box for an e-mail address and a button alongside to press to subscribe.

I entered an e-mail address and hit subscribe, but nothing happened!

I'm sure it was the same as all the others I've "subscribed" to and I certainly didn't have to enter an e-mail address anywhere.

There was a large black button over to the left just under the feed image and I just clicked on that. it then asks how you want to receive notifications - if at all - and that was all I had to do.....

They are currently erecting a new fence around the site on the Blue Island cam and if they put a sign between the two tall gatepost poles, that will completely mess up the view of all the bridges from the camera!

Could be fun.....

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Johann Marsbar said:

I'm sure it was the same as all the others I've "subscribed" to and I certainly didn't have to enter an e-mail address anywhere.

There was a large black button over to the left just under the feed image and I just clicked on that. it then asks how you want to receive notifications - if at all - and that was all I had to do.....

That's different to what I see

There is no button to click when on a feed, anywhere!

The only one is on the information at the bottom of the page, complete with e-mail box.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, melmerby said:

How do you subscribe?

On live Trains site there is a box for an e-mail address and a button alongside to press to subscribe.

I entered an e-mail address and hit subscribe, but nothing happened!

If it helps there should be a 'subscribe' button next to the channel name when viewing one of the cams?

Screenshot2024-04-05at20_16_36.png.276f21aaa5130d50e9deecdffd7c65a0.png

On 03/04/2024 at 14:25, Johann Marsbar said:

Not quite sure what this was on the Blue Island cam just now.....

Screenshot2024-04-03at19-21-14LIVETrainsBlueIslandIllinoisPTZ.png.8876c4d027e713e88014797afd8d805a.png

The first car was lettered Southern Pacific though the end one appeared to be a CSX observation car of some sort.

Saw this just now, this is CSX's Track Geometry Train. It uses laser scanners to check the rails for any defects. I photographed it about two years ago in my neck of the woods.

52537755702_996c8611f8_b.jpgCSX W003-01, Glendale,KY 12/2/2022 by Jeff  Wagoner, on Flickr

You can see the lights underneath one of the passenger cars.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, MarshLane said:

If it helps there should be a 'subscribe' button next to the channel name when viewing one of the cams?

Screenshot2024-04-05at20_16_36.png.276f21aaa5130d50e9deecdffd7c65a0.png

Yes I get that with VRF. If I click it I am subscribed.

However I get this with Live Trains cameras:

image.png.222477158cd9943af601649976f638e2.png

Absolutely no text under the streaming window.

But there this subscribe button right at the bottom of the pages:

image.png.759d74ccf53324f634e2eb7517c5f0a0.png

However clicking "Subscribe" does nothing, even with an e-mail address

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Interesting

Looks like clicking the Subscribe button on Live Trains website did work as when I logged on and went into the YT view it is showing as "Subscribed"

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, melmerby said:

I assumed I had to be on a website to subscribe to it, not YT!

It's the mixed terminology that trips people up I think.  We generally take 'subscribe' to mean pay for something ongoing, hence I suspect your thought that (although free) you were subscribing to LiveTrains and needed to be on their website.  In this case, YouTube use 'subscribe' to mean 'follow the channel', the Channel is a YouTube feature (with content from LiveTrains).

The same acronym is on something like Facebook where you 'follow somebody' .. but hopefully that doesnt mean your stalking them all day!! 🤣

Confusing at time all this social media terminology - but I say that as somebody who (other than watching bits and pieces on YouTube) doesnt do social media!

Glad you got it sorted out.

• RMweb Gold

ON a separate topic, does anyone know why the VRF Barstow cam has gone down? I am guessing its coming back as the feed is live with a 'we are down' message, but it's been that way for a bit now. 😔

It was the only VRF cam I watched with any regularity!  I do watch the five Tehachapi Live Train Cameras a bit (https://www.youtube.com/@TehachapiLiveTrainCam/streams)

Rich

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

but I say that as somebody who (other than watching bits and pieces on YouTube) doesnt do social media!

Same here

No facebook, instagram, tik tok or anything else.

It seems I'm subscribed to Live Trains & VRF

• RMweb Premium

I've done this with Google Earth Pro:

image.png.a6a2ee4f09743871f679c96486e7fb0c.png

The pins just go to the location on Google Earth but you can link to a website so it will open the appropriate stream.

• Like 1

There were quite a few railcams in the path of today's solar eclipse, hope everyone caught a glimpse of it somewhere along the way. I was close enough that it got a little dark where I live, but with solid cloud cover one couldn't see anything here.

• RMweb Premium
On 09/04/2024 at 00:07, Jeff_W said:

There were quite a few railcams in the path of today's solar eclipse, hope everyone caught a glimpse of it somewhere along the way. I was close enough that it got a little dark where I live, but with solid cloud cover one couldn't see anything here.

VRF featured Russellville AR on it's Grab bag, quite impressive, it was also the location of a mass wedding (not on VRF!) shown on BBC TV news.