The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old Lorries

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Wonder how many "recently passed" HGV drivers could cope with this (let alone know what it was) ?

440895187_422032263901274_6901844646328005551_n.jpg

Looks like there might be a High - Low range selector involved; possibly a two-speed rear.

Edited by J. S. Bach
To edit the post
  • Agree 2

39 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

Looks like there might be a High - Low range selector involved; possibly a two-speed rear.

Possibly or maybe a splitter in the box.

First truck I drove had an Eaton twin split, from recollection you put it in the first gate, then used the switch for gears 1, 2 ,3 then went to the second gate for 4,5,6 etc. I later drove an ERF EC with a fuller range change box from recollection that was similar to the image above I.e. the first gate was gears 1 , 5 , 9 and the second gate was gears 2, 6, 10. Needless to say I found that out by stalling the thing going for what I thought was 2nd...

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

Indeed - a switch or lever - on some Renaults you had to "knock over" the gear leave when in the neutral position to change the range - left for low, right for high (IIRC).

Some transmissions had a splitter to give you half gears - very rarely did you use all of the gears selected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...