The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in old Lorries

I thought as we have threads on here for old buses and old cars, we should probably have one for old lorries. I have a few pictures below of what would now be considered old but were new at the time (1997) lorries from the first company I worked for. Unfortunately they closed up shop in 2010 but the happy memories live on and they still rate as one of the best companies I worked for (apologies for the poor quality):

post-7400-0-10692400-1499108728.pngpost-7400-0-99560800-1499108728.jpgpost-7400-0-87350600-1499108729.jpgpost-7400-0-39052400-1499108730.jpgpost-7400-0-82579000-1499108730.jpgpost-7400-0-34901300-1499108731.jpgpost-7400-0-88836300-1499108732.jpg

I also found one of the lorries in a scrapyard earlier this year, sadly worse for wear:

post-7400-0-31844100-1499108810_thumb.jpg

Over to you...

• Like 16

Strange how some hauliers just disappear from the scene. I remember George Taylor vehicles running out of the Port of Felixstowe

for years, then suddenly they're gone. Always a nicely turned out fleet in a distinctive livery.  Sad to hear they're gone.

Edited by admiles
  • Like 1

A picture (of a photograph) of the late John Thompson's wagon NTY 50 of W.A. Glendinning's, Shotley Bridge, Consett.   Many a driver's tales he would recall.  Great times.

post-31504-0-89675900-1499155720.jpg

Here is a model of W.A. Glendinning's wagon 

post-31504-0-59169400-1499156097.jpg

• Like 14

Nice ERFs. Actually, I've got a picture of a slightly older ERF my Dad took in July 1955 at Ullapool...

Which revealingly has an 'ole in the front to take an engine starting handle. A coal merchant operating in WGC got it badly wrong with this implement outside my childhood home, and my mother (SRN) had his hand and wrist nicely strapped up before the ambulance arrived to take him to Welwyn QVM hospital.

The joys of old trucks...

• Like 1

Not a great shot admittedly but it's the only one I ever took of one of the once ubiquitous Rugby Cement road tank fleet we used to see round here, day in day out, still, at least it captures the remains of Parkfield Road level crossing and the sidings before they were all swept away for a new flat road junction...

post-7638-0-63352400-1499166239_thumb.jpg

• Like 12

Strange how some hauliers just disappear from the scene. I remember George Taylor vehicles running out of the Port of Felixstowe

for years, then suddenly they're gone. Always a nicely turned out fleet in a distinctive livery.  Sad to hear they're gone.

Indeed, they just parked the fleet up rather than gradually shrinking away but it didn't surprise me they stopped in that way. The owners were very savvy, owned everything outright and rather than cut corners, reduce service etc, they called time. Fuel costs had gone up a third, rates stayed stagnant or gone down and with no likelihood of the economics changing they made the right choice.

Which revealingly has an 'ole in the front to take an engine starting handle. A coal merchant operating in WGC got it badly wrong with this implement outside my childhood home, and my mother (SRN) had his hand and wrist nicely strapped up before the ambulance arrived to take him to Welwyn QVM hospital.

The joys of old trucks...

Ouch, I have hand started my Land Rover and a few old cars with handles over the years and always am wary of the handle kicking back, especially as I have already had a wrist operation which has never been 100% since.

Edited by 37114
  • Like 1

Taylor's fleet always looked very smart and professional, sad that they could no longer continue.

In the 70's we used to hand start large a diesel compressor at the steelworks where I worked. A big old lump mounted on a four wheeled trailer. That did have a decompression lever and once you had the knack it wasn't too bad. One swinging the handle, the other dropping the compression lever at the right time. The main thing to remember was to keep your thumbs out of the way because if it kicked back, broken thumbs were the likely result.

The old timers used to hand crank lorries by swinging the starting handle on a bit of rope. You could get two men on the rope and you were not in direct contact with the handle. It was basically a case of repeatedly swinging the handle just through the bottom third of its revolution and eventually it would kick over.

Fortunately for me, such delights had disappeared when I took my HGV in 1980....

.....in one of these, not a classic, just a workaday wagon of the 70s, a Dodge 500.

post-6861-0-00240800-1499173933_thumb.jpg

Cummins Chrysler V6 with a 5 or 6 speed box and two speed rear axle. The biggest fleet user was the Post Office. I note that the one in the photo has Perkins engine badge which surprises me. I had thought that the Perkins engine had only been used in some rigid models not in the tractor units.

I did my course with the Road Transport Industry Training Board, RTITB, for those who remember it, at their Little Hulton site just outside Manchester, doing my test from the Heywood testing centre.

The RTITB was one of a number of bodies set up under a govt. initiative to provide training in industries which had large numbers of small operators who were too small to provide training themselves. The construction industry was another. Companies paid a levy and members had a discount for employees taking the courses.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Anyone else remember S. Harrison & Sons [sheffield] fleet of gold lined red Scammell Highwayman artics? Still on steel haulage, seen on the M1 & A57 in the 1990's and much of the fleet, including 8-wheelers, truck-mounted crane and trailers still stored at the depot visible from the Tinsley viaduct. My photos are tucked away on film in the loft but there were 2 Barclay 0-4-0STs which looked beyond repair but were extracted and overhauled at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway.

Dava

Oh yeah, including this third axle Highwayman.

Real dinosaurs of the road.

IIRC correctly Harrisons had a couple of Fodens from the 70's which they bought new but then never put on the road which always struck me as strange when they many of the rest of the fleet was so old. A fantastic fleet though.

• 2 weeks later...

Bassetts of Tittensor (near Stone) still had some of these, beautifully maintained, into the late 1970s.

Bassetts had some of the last registered, F or G registered. There were a number of S21s still active, mostly with owner drivers, on stone haulage from the peak quarries around Buxton in the eighties, they were a regular sight on the A6 into Manchester. The last time I saw one was almost into the nineties, it was quite a shock to see it heading out of Hazel Grove towards Buxton at a rate of knots, albeit empty.

There were still a number in showland service in the nineties and probably beyond, Mannings of Cheshunt ran a very well known one and several showman in the Nottingham area ran ex Blue Circle examples.

Bassetts had some of the last registered, F or G registered. There were a number of S21s still active, mostly with owner drivers, on stone haulage from the peak quarries around Buxton in the eighties, they were a regular sight on the A6 into Manchester. The last time I saw one was almost into the nineties, it was quite a shock to see it heading out of Hazel Grove towards Buxton at a rate of knots, albeit empty.

There were still a number in showland service in the nineties and probably beyond, Mannings of Cheshunt ran a very well known one and several showman in the Nottingham area ran ex Blue Circle examples.

I renewed quite a few of the clutch and brake linings for these, when I worked for a motor factors in Stoke in the late 1970s. We acquired several sets of shoes and plates from scrapped vehicles, so we could offer like-for-like replacements off the shelf. Time was money for these owner-drivers, so they would willingly pay a premium for quick turn-round.

Bassett's Fodens were relative youngsters; someone near Tean was running a 'Chinese-six' 1940s Morris Commercial on clay from Stoke yard into the 1980s.

• Like 4

I renewed quite a few of the clutch and brake linings for these, when I worked for a motor factors in Stoke in the late 1970s. We acquired several sets of shoes and plates from scrapped vehicles, so we could offer like-for-like replacements off the shelf. Time was money for these owner-drivers, so they would willingly pay a premium for quick turn-round.

Bassett's Fodens were relative youngsters; someone near Tean was running a 'Chinese-six' 1940s Morris Commercial on clay from Stoke yard into the 1980s.

Like Bassett's who are still running, another fleet still with us that had some interesting old lorries a few years ago was Tyson H Burridge; 

They had a few Dennisons which were rare, one is preserved:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48950471@N02/9518181835/in/photolist-6yib2V-8gRZJy-fv6aRn-6ynkJG

They also ran some of the Spanish Dodges, one lasting into the 90's but recabbed with a Dennison cab as the Spanish cabs rusted badly:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/steveburrow/3820248843/in/photolist-6PzLTn-rMhUm7-ectVvh-oxgBJN-fwDJZn-8oCQkQ-o68Nb4-mhdbHi-pzXKdd-dkmhwN-c9odH5-i8vCrK-fz5eEV-kN1s1V-r2pxiY-i8u6yX-qgLveT-i9i4fe-WqgG7J-i8vZGF-neXkYT-SLJvdC-dPBKyN-nwBc4m-6Nt9vz-ojpmXj-hY7Zce-ciAUgQ-oVT2xF-o3vT3Y-7RAM8d-i8vN3u-jGkXLn-q56oNC-o1MamL-i2Msxa-ndNntL-7yK4rG-oVcFpc-oGivvQ-pnpUbJ-o1AasE-7hpPez-i8tZfL-gncQTM-dkmdvm-9cRqpM-eveyqu-nhfxRT-hY1ubD

• Like 2