RMweb

Class 50 D400 R3571

NIRCLASS80

If the photos shown on the Rails of Sheffield site are of the actual model, there seems to be a mix of early and late Class 50 features. They couldn't even get the cab front handrails correct. Another purchase from Hornby stopped due to lack of detail sadly.

Agreed, I have the original offering in the guise of D421 which is a much better representation of the class in original condition. I bought two on release and if anyone is interested, I'm willing to part with one for a lot less than current pricing. Please feel free to pm me for details.

Edited by Black 5 Bear

• RMweb Premium

All I can see wrong is the cab front handrails which were unique to D400 and can be very easily corrected.  I suspect it would have been too costly to adapt the tooling for one fairly minor feature of just one member of the entire class.

At least this time there is no refurb grille in the side window!!

• RMweb Premium

Probably not a popular question, but does anyone have a list of the things I'd have to do to put it into 1994 final days condition? The more obvious things are:

- additional roof panel;

- headlights;

- headcode box plating

- front handrails (for any era)

Is there much else?

Many thanks

Probably not a popular question, but does anyone have a list of the things I'd have to do to put it into 1994 final days condition? The more obvious things are:

- additional roof panel;

- headlights;

- headcode box plating

Is there much else?

Many thanks

It would be easier to pick a model with the later shell and just get it resprayed. The last 3 models that Hornby produced 50 024, 50 046 or 50 026 would be the best bet.

- additional roof panel;

- headlights;

- headcode box plating

Is there much else?

You can add

- radio roof pods

- plate over the sandbox fillers

- grilled window at no.1 end both sides

- cantrail stripe, OHL flashes, etc

• RMweb Premium

Indeed.  Find yourself a cheap refurb body shell example and respray.  It has to be said rail blue with yellow ends is probably the easiest livery to respray even for a novice and the transfers are easily available.

• RMweb Premium

If the model is supposed to be representative of D400 when first in service, wouldn't it be without the MU cables on the cab ends? Was D400 one of the two fitted with MU right from the start?

Edited by Hilux5972

• RMweb Gold

If the model is supposed to be representative of D400 when first in service, wouldn't it be without the MU cables on the cab ends? Was D400 one of the two fitted with MU right from the start?

MLI 193 Photos on Pages 8 and  10 show D400 at Vulcan Foundry with MU cables (and Page 11 shows 401 with and 403 without)

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Oh ok so 400 and 401 were fitted with it from the start. Any idea when the rest of the Class started to receive them? (Incidentally and completely OT, 400 & 401 were also the yard numbers for RMS Olympic and Titanic in 1910/1911 respectively, just in case anyone likes useless info)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Oh ok so 400 and 401 were fitted with it from the start. Any idea when the rest of the Class started to receive them? (Incidentally and completely OT, 400 & 401 were also the yard numbers for RMS Olympic and Titanic in 1910/1911 respectively, just in case anyone likes useless info)

MLI 193 says that all were internally fitted for MU from the start and ""after only a short perod the advantages of such operation became apparent" and the external nose end fittings  were fitted - can't find any photos after 1969 in MLI with no mu kit

If the photos shown on the Rails of Sheffield site are of the actual model, there seems to be a mix of early and late Class 50 features. They couldn't even get the cab front handrails correct. Another purchase from Hornby stopped due to lack of detail sadly.

It is not just the BR 50 they have got wrong, the Colas Railfreight still is red rather than Colas orange. Previously the Colas 56 was incorrect colour, but stated it would be altered for any further Colas releases. I was very excited about the change of direction Hornby took late last year, but now am getting increasingly disappointed again. 

It is not just the BR 50 they have got wrong, the Colas Railfreight still is red rather than Colas orange. Previously the Colas 56 was incorrect colour, but stated it would be altered for any further Colas releases. I was very excited about the change of direction Hornby took late last year, but now am getting increasingly disappointed again.

Not sure what you mean? The Colas Railfreight what is red not orange? Assuming you mean the class 60 recently released, pictures of the bodyside orange I've seen look correct?

Think you've got that the wrong way around........:)

• RMweb Gold

Do these pictures clear things up...

Exiting the works for the first time, brand new in 1967...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8148/7655212958_e423e24a00_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/355/30985704004_1c5e0d50fa_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/743/31679101372_30c56c984c_b.jpg

Front end (apart from handrails), looks right, including the head codes ! Though the horn grills should be bronzed not blue.

Body sides look right too, though not sure the roof is correct, there's the circular vent on the roof, which I don't see on the works photos, or others in the same time period.

But otherwise looks pretty good.

Edited by adb968008