Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Music and the Hobby

Good Morning,

What it says in the title really, I thought I would start a thread out of curiosity and interest.

I found myself at the work bench painting, specifically painting figures more recently. Naturally there's a computer on one side of my bench so I usually have the RMweb up for regular inspiration and Facebook, although I've been listening to music and a internet radio station with it too.
I'd usually listen to Chopin or Debussy while painting models and my 1940s playlist the rest of the time - Which has some obscure (I'll only list a few of the ones you may of heard of here) and more well known 'artists' from the period like Glenn Miller, Helen Forrest, The Andrews Sisters, Benny Goodman, Al Bowlly, Tommy Dorsey and Vera Lynn... I really like listening to Vera Lynn, I can listen to her for hours. 
Or I'd occasionally listen to the 1940sukradio while doing other things, additionally I have a friend who streams occasionally on Facebook with a similar I dare say it 'themed' radio station, although this has the added advantage of putting in requests.

I don't think I'm the only one, I have a friend who does garden railways and he'd sit down in his shed or workshop rather while listening to the same radio station as me.

I know everyone has different tastes but put simply I was wandering does anyone else listen to music while modelling? And what do you like to listen to? Do you listen to music for different tasks?

Cheers, Reece

When modelling/airbrushing and anything small, when not running the layout (iTunes is on and I listen to Costa del Mar radio station, its amazing just by having a few sounds in the background, how much work can be done.

Regards Jeff

I listen to an internet radio station, True Blues, just music and no talking. I find the inane chatter of most D.J's to be intensely irritating.

Apart from Ken Bruce when Pop Master is on, but then I don't do modelling when Pop Master is on.

• RMweb Gold

I suppose I'm fairly boring and 'low brow', I tend to have ClassicFM on as background to whatever I am doing, modelling included.

Now if I was listening to music, that would be a different matter

I suppose I'm fairly boring and 'low brow', I tend to have ClassicFM on as background to whatever I am doing, modelling included.

Now if I was listening to music, that would be a different matter

Well if that's low brow, wonder where Planet Rock comes in some people's estimation? Don't care anyway:-)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well if that's low brow, wonder where Planet Rock comes in some people's estimation? Don't care anyway:-)

I've been told by them wot is high brow that ClassicFM is low brow.

I still likes it.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 1

I've been told by them wot is high brow that ClassicFM is low brow.

I still likes it.

So are these high brow people the ones with painted on brows like the woman I saw a while back? Hers were at least half an inch above normal position, didn't half look starttled though :O

• RMweb Gold

No music allowed in operating sessions as it interferes with my chuff chuff pssht noises, but I model to Groove Salad from Soma FM internet radio.  This is chillout ambient and probably unusual for a person of my age and background, but it is soothing and does not require any mental input from me; you can't listen to it as you'd go insane with boredom, but it is a calming noise.  I use it to go to sleep to sometimes as well.

But I wish internet stations would not describe themselves as 'bla bla FM'.  They're not FM, it's just wrong!

• RMweb Premium

I listen to my local radio station, Rutland Radio.

If I don't have that on, I have a playlist of various artist on my Computer.

Is that an offshoot of Rutland Weekend Television?

• RMweb Gold

Planet Rock for me with all the varieties that comes with that. If not Planet Rock then something through the headphones of a similar nature.

For example last night my fettling of an ex L&SWR M7 was accompanied somewhat incongruously by some Finnish power metal in the form of Stratovarius.........

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My workbench CD player finally decided that it had had enough knocks, solvent splatters and sawdust bombardments and stopped working, so it's just Radio 2 for me. Since my modelling sessions tend to be an hour or two around mid-evening, it's usually Jo Whiley on the weekdays. Personally I can listen to just about any music when I'm modelling. I do try to get a couple of hours in on Sunday afternoon as I particularly enjoy Sounds of the Seventies.

• Like 1

I don't like a lot of music and the little I do like I like to sit and listen to, not have it on in the background while I am doing something.

In the background I prefer to have a talk station on, local radio or LBC except when James O'Brien is on.

• RMweb Gold

I don't like a lot of music and the little I do like I like to sit and listen to, not have it on in the background while I am doing something.

In the background I prefer to have a talk station on, local radio or LBC except when James O'Brien is on.

Sounds like you use talk radio in the same way that I use Groove Salad, which I'm sure you'd be driven mad by!  An ex girlfriend used to go to sleep to audiobook tapes of 'Just William' which kept me awake for hours because I wanted to listen to the story...

When im modelling in my shed,  i have my phone,  with playlits on youtube,  which have varried music on,  usually, songs from games like Need for Speed Most wanted,  or Rivals, along with NCS plus a wide range of songs, that i like,    but lately its been Public Service Broadcastings  new album  Everyvalley,  so have that on my phone  along with there other albums  The War Room EP,  Inform-Educate-Entertain  and Race for Space,   

Mark

• Like 1

A steady diet of mainly punk rock, with some forays into summer '67 and '68 garage pop and Northern soul classics for balance.

Music and modelling are symbiotic in my world.

• RMweb Gold

I just sing to myself, loudly - it keeps the rest of the family from bothering me when I'm modelling.  Bit tough on them though if I'm using the kitchen table...

Not racially stereotyping you in any way at all... but is it Male-Voice choirs in the Valleys, or Tom Jones?

:)

Edited by acg_mr