Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Modelling mojo and state of mind

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Blandford1969 said:

This week I feel totally and finally vindicated that I was gaslighted and probably discriminated against by my last manager (the HRD) they said my role was redundant, yet an exact same role is currently being advertised. They got me to sign a settlement agreement and even though it says it closes off discrimination claims case law now says that is not possible.  I can't be bothered with the hassle, just knowing I was right is victory enough. 

For some it might have been a set back, but ironically it has made me feel better. Odd how things go. 

If you are being made to feel like its all your fault, doubting yourself, being micromanaged there can be a world beyond. 

Never trust Human Remains. It’s better you feel able to walk away.

Dava

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coldgunner said:

Yeah I was told much the same, HR is there to protect the company first. I've been burned already by thinking I can trust someone and being betrayed. I don't tell my colleagues anything personal now.

I learnt in my very first job to keep work and home as completely separate entities - that has never let me down and I’ve seen so many people get hurt over the years.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

Yeah I was told much the same, HR is there to protect the company first. I've been burned already by thinking I can trust someone and being betrayed. I don't tell my colleagues anything personal now.

I thought that the first duty of HR was to ensure the long term survival of HR.  My (limited) experience was they'd come up with some daft way of doing something (we could see it wouldn't work well after ~30 seconds close study), and then 2-3 years later replace that procedure with something else (which also didn't work well).  The conclusion was that they were just making work for themselves, the impact on the rest of the business didn't seem to matter.

Having said that, my experience was that the "shop floor" staff were OK, it was those in policy making roles that caused problems.

Adrian

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

1 hour ago, figworthy said:

I thought that the first duty of HR was to ensure the long term survival of HR.  My (limited) experience was they'd come up with some daft way of doing something (we could see it wouldn't work well after ~30 seconds close study), and then 2-3 years later replace that procedure with something else (which also didn't work well).  The conclusion was that they were just making work for themselves, the impact on the rest of the business didn't seem to matter.

Having said that, my experience was that the "shop floor" staff were OK, it was those in policy making roles that caused problems.

Adrian

I think that you've basically nailed bureaucracy in a paragraph there.

8 hours ago, 08221 said:

I learnt in my very first job to keep work and home as completely separate entities - that has never let me down and I’ve seen so many people get hurt over the years.

Tell them nothing, someone will find a way to use it against you, almost always some creep who sees you as a threat that can only make themselves look good by making others look bad. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sjp23480 said:

Some interesting comments in this article about the benefits/pleasure of pursuing your hobbies:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/04/the-joy-of-mediocrity-we-need-hobbies-even-if-were-bad-at-them-to-free-us-from-perfection

I really enjoy articles like this. It doesnt preclude the idea of mastery in something, just rejects the idea that every minute of ones day should be productive and monetised.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, westernviscount said:

I really enjoy articles like this. It doesnt preclude the idea of mastery in something, just rejects the idea that every minute of ones day should be productive and monetised.

Totally agree.

One of my other interests is the classic car world.  Not so long ago one of the regular publications became (to me) unreadable because every article was, "Buy an XYZ and watch values soar".  Instead of buying a car you might get great satisfaction from owning, restoring and driving, the target market was now people who will only do something if (and apparently cannot enjoy it unless) they can make more money out of it.  It's as bad as people who join a particular golf club just so that they can possibly bump into and suck up to their CEO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

2 hours ago, Northmoor said:

Totally agree.

One of my other interests is the classic car world.  Not so long ago one of the regular publications became (to me) unreadable because every article was, "Buy an XYZ and watch values soar".  Instead of buying a car you might get great satisfaction from owning, restoring and driving, the target market was now people who will only do something if (and apparently cannot enjoy it unless) they can make more money out of it.  It's as bad as people who join a particular golf club just so that they can possibly bump into and suck up to their CEO.

Exactly why I stopped buying classic car and bike mags. Another favourite was - look at this! Probably the only one left! At the bottom of the article it would tell you that the featured vehicle was available from Bloggs & Bloggs, Price On Application....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Some interesting comments in this article about the benefits/pleasure of pursuing your hobbies:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/04/the-joy-of-mediocrity-we-need-hobbies-even-if-were-bad-at-them-to-free-us-from-perfection

Read that earlier on (I’ve got a two year old and a newborn, what’s sleep?) - completely agree with it and reflects my own philosophy/abilities!

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

I too am a terrible surfer. But not so bad that I walk up and down Newquay high street with the board under my arm trying to look pretty.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I can't surf either (was a bit embarrassing when I worked as the designer on a surfing magazine). We called them "Roof rack Surfers" because the board never left the roof rack! Apparently according to them the surf was never quite right - too small, onshore wind etc.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, simonmcp said:

I can't surf either (was a bit embarrassing when I worked as the designer on a surfing magazine). We called them "Roof rack Surfers" because the board never left the roof rack! Apparently according to them the surf was never quite right - too small, onshore wind etc.

Most pastimes have them; a late friend of mine used to be amazed how busy Ambleside High Street was with "walkers" wearing all the latest gear, when once he and his wife had walked half a mile out of town, they hardly saw anyone at all.  It's a bit like buying a Ferrari so that you can cruise round.... your local town's one-way system.

• Agree 4

There's been a bit of a backlash amongst traditional motorcyclists, with rallies that if you turn up on anything other than a motorcycle you don't get in. Usually in a scruffy field behind a pub, because a lot of the big rallies had become like Glastonbury for cheapskates.

Typically a Winnebago towing a box trailer pulls up 300 yards from the gate and hubby unloads his £30000 chopped Hardly Rideable and chugs through the gate looking like a cross between Peter Fonda and The Village People, whilst wifey drives in the HGV, disgorges five kids and demands to know where the showers  / fairground / rave music tents are.

I don't camp at motorcycle rallies on account of the memsahib doesn't do camping..... Which is a great excuse. 

Camping at a motorcycle rally is great when you're eighteen, get ****faced on scrumpy and just stay up all night.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
On 04/03/2023 at 16:05, Northmoor said:

Most pastimes have them; a late friend of mine used to be amazed how busy Ambleside High Street was with "walkers" wearing all the latest gear, when once he and his wife had walked half a mile out of town, they hardly saw anyone at all.

I have vivid memories of walking into the Tan Hill Inn, years ago, back in the days when I was fit enough to walk the fells.

I wandered in off the moor, as you do, covered in mud and cack, to be met by a large throng of people.

Quite surprisingly really given the remoteness of the place.

Of course they were all attired in prisitine top of the range, colour co-ordinated, hiking gear, a complete contast to my rag tag, but functional, kit.

As far as I could tell their hiking consisted of getting out of their Range Rover and walking the 50 yards to the pub.

I know who got more respect from the bar staff!

Ian T

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

Also used to get it in Airsoft lol (think paintball with BB guns). Some guys would come dressed as seal team 6, take everything super serious and often cheat. Then you got the walk-on stag do types with a hired AK running about in their trainers. They were some of the most fun players.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Coldgunner said:

Also used to get it in Airsoft lol (think paintball with BB guns). Some guys would come dressed as seal team 6, take everything super serious and often cheat. Then you got the walk-on stag do types with a hired AK running about in their trainers. They were some of the most fun players.

We had a similar experience with going on a friend's stag do paintballing. My friend who organised it knew the owners, but even so, half our team consisted of a boy's tenth birthday party and a group of girls from the grammar on a fourteenth.

Up against us was a group of young exec types all dressed up like something from Halo who were regulars on site.

We beat them, big time and afterwards there was much questioning of how a bunch of bikers approaching forty and a bunch of kids had won?

The guy running the show did end up laughing and started pointing out some of our group: Marines, Scots guards, 2 para, 2 para, 59 Cdo....

Also, as I remember, never get into a fire fight with a bunch of girls who have just hit that awkward point of their lives. They are fearless and utterly merciless!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Also, as I remember, never get into a fire fight with a bunch of girls who have just hit that awkward point of their lives. They are fearless and utterly merciless!

I remember, when we were in the sixth form, some bright spark suggested we took on the girls at hockey...........never again. Carnage. 

• Agree 3
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I remember, when we were in the sixth form, some bright spark suggested we took on the girls at hockey...........never again. Carnage. 

Haha, one PE lesson they did boys vs girls at 'war'. Which was essentially capture the flag or if your tagged you go to 'prison'. You could be released from prison if your own team tagged you. Us lads just went mental and utterley dominated the game for the whole lesson.

Yeah, that didn't work as teachers planned.

Funny you mention hockey, I used to play mens hockey and I think I did a mixed game once. The girls were terrifying!

• Like 1