Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling mojo and state of mind

• RMweb Premium

I'm certainly not saying its a cure, but getting out everyday for a walk even for 20 odd minutes to get daylight can help. Its easier said than done when you do not feel like doing anything but curling up. Having a dog means I have to go out at least once a day. The dog is worse if he does not get his walk and my wife says I'm worse if not going out for a walk as well. 

The best thing is just be kind to yourself. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Whenever i have problems or worries i always think 2 weeks ahead and focus on then. Makes dealing with issues easier as i know, no matter what, that in 2 weeks time i'll be wondering what all the fuss was about. Time and tide etc....

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Work still sucks today, had a particularly rude "colleague" that I've just refused point blank to deal with.

On the plus side though, I've got a crate of 12x 1901 recipe IRN BRU bottles and a new CPU, Motherboard and RAM coming to upgrade my PC. The latter cost £850, I can remember speccing a decent gaming PC for about £600 all in.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

Work still sucks today, had a particularly rude "colleague" that I've just refused point blank to deal with.

On the plus side though, I've got a crate of 12x 1901 recipe IRN BRU bottles and a new CPU, Motherboard and RAM coming to upgrade my PC. The latter cost £850, I can remember speccing a decent gaming PC for about £600 all in.

For £850 it best have some of those gamer lights my old PC's never had.

I hear they add buoyancy to the floating points.....

• Like 2

Haha, there's some lighting but subtle as I like my machines to be inoffensive. Been stripping the current machine today and cleaning the case ready to take the new stuff. Thankfully, installing Windows and backing up data to secondary/network drives is a doddle now. It used to take hours but now I can get windows re-installed within minutes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Coldgunner said:

Haha, there's some lighting but subtle as I like my machines to be inoffensive. Been stripping the current machine today and cleaning the case ready to take the new stuff. Thankfully, installing Windows and backing up data to secondary/network drives is a doddle now. It used to take hours but now I can get windows re-installed within minutes.

"Safestyle!"

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I am working tomorrow and feeling a bit hard done by our department was the only one where our manger did not buy the staff anything not even a merry Christmas 

First  task in the new year find a new job 

so to everyone Wishing you all the very merriest of Christmas's

suport.jpg

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 13

• 2 weeks later...

My modelling mojo plummeted last year. I have barely been near the bench, not helped by moving and starting a new job. 

I set out some new years resolutions elsewhere on the forum but instantly knew it was unlikely to happen. 

I have been dwelling on how my hobby has changed and whether I still enjoy it. When I started I just loved making models and building things. I built a layout fairly ignorant of the wider hobby. But now I see all the highflying elite of the hobby and just wonder how on earth anything I do could ever be satisfying when there is lasercut this, 3d printed that, dcc sound the other, making tracks, you tubers etc etc. I am finding it all overwhelming. 

I did write an article about my motivation funnily enough but it seems to have left me completely. Nothing I can build will ever meet my expectations which have been drastically altered because of the abilities and means of others which are so readily apparent because of new media. Comparison is as we know, the thief of joy. 

Edited by westernviscount
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

7 hours ago, westernviscount said:

My modelling mojo plummeted last year. I have barely been near the bench, not helped by moving and starting a new job. 

I set out some new years resolutions elsewhere on the forum but instantly knew it was unlikely to happen. 

I have been dwelling on how my hobby has changed and whether I still enjoy it. When I started I just loved making models and building things. I built a layout fairly ignorant of the wider hobby. But now I see all the highflying elite of the hobby and just wonder how on earth anything I do could ever be satisfying when there is lasercut this, 3d printed that, dcc sound the other, making tracks, you tubers etc etc. I am finding it all overwhelming. 

I did write an article about my motivation funnily enough but it seems to have left me completely. Nothing I can build will ever meet my expectations which have been drastically altered because of the abilities and means of others which are so readily apparent because of new media. Comparison is as we know, the thief of joy. 

That’s a shame - I’d compartmentalise it, and just concentrate on the bits that give you joy. If you are not into the whole shooting match it doesn’t matter  - DCC has become a hobby in its own right for those of an electrical interest - CVS,mapping etc …..bores me to tears.

It s a broad church , a phrase that covers all skill levels. I have a friend who’s a published , pro modeller - he doesn’t take himself too seriously either …. That’s the key. If you find anyone getting out their box too much , I always remember at the end of the day , most of us are old men playing with toy trains ( yeah, you can loftily call it an operating session if you like , but….still ).

Im also having motivational issues - I’ve got some nice renumbered stock but the thought of building another layout Is frankly , exhausting, I’ve realised there are actually quite a few bits of the process , I simply don’t like .But in the flip side I want somewhere for the diesels to be displayed their natural environment. Hmmmm.

I hope you find a way to reignite your mojo to some extent !

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 2

11 hours ago, westernviscount said:

Perhaps you need to use this place to its fullest. Rekindle the love of the build by building something and showing it off here. 

You'll find people asking questions, people telling you its good, people offering advice, people enjoying it, joy is not always in you looking at it and feeling joy, joy can be in bringing others joy showing off things you make that heck might even inspire them to pick up a knife or some paint and glue and get cracking. Then you get to sit back, sip your nice cuppa and feel good knowing you helped spur that on. You might even find yourself feeling more positive of your own work as a result.

All the best, other people have theirs, you have yours, it's not a competition unless you enter it in one. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, westernviscount said:

I was like that, being overwhelmed by the elite modellers, the brass loco's, hand-built track, the working signals! Then, one day in a bedsit, I got an Airfix 9F body to sit on a full valve gear, Princess, chassis to make a, not unrecognisable Britannia! Hallelujah, Hallelujah, I'm a railway modeller!  Do YOUR thing, YOUR way, in YOUR own good time...........and then post so I can nick YOUR ideas....!

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 33C said:

I was like that, being overwhelmed by the elite modellers, the brass loco's, hand-built track, the working signals! Then, one day in a bedsit, I got an Airfix 9F body to sit on a full valve gear, Princess, chassis to make a, not unrecognisable Britannia! Hallelujah, Hallelujah, I'm a railway modeller!  Do YOUR thing, YOUR way, in YOUR own good time...........and then post so I can nick YOUR ideas....!

That’s brilliant.  And having a similar story, I can identify completely. Five years ago I built my first plastic O gauge wagon - which ran on three wheels …..😖 I now do build my own track and make brass engines … amazing what small steps can lead to. I’m not elite by any means but I can do more than I thought! 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Irish Padre said:

That’s brilliant.  And having a similar story, I can identify completely. Five years ago I built my first plastic O gauge wagon - which ran on three wheels …..😖 I now do build my own track and make brass engines … amazing what small steps can lead to. I’m not elite by any means but I can do more than I thought! 

Fab stuff! Above all, it's supposed to be fun! 🤪

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

13 hours ago, westernviscount said:

Then change scale. Realistically, none of us can compete with the quality of modern RTR. I have a fleet of kit-built shunters that I'm proud of, but are blown away by a Hornby Peckett in both looks and running quality. That's just how the hobby has changed over the years.

With my Garden Rail hat on, many people are happy with battery powered locos that can cost the price of a top-end OO wagon. They model and bodge all sorts of materials to make th stock for their line. Yes, there is laser-cutting and 3D printing, but just as many are sticking nail-art jewels on models to represent rivets.

Or, go for an unusual scale. Building a 3mm scale layout years ago freed me from the "Is it Bachmann?" question, and got me into a lot of shows.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, westernviscount said:

What aspect would you say you are best at, or enjoy the most? If, for example, you critically consider a whole layout not up to scratch but enjoy building wagons, then build some, photograph on a display plank in outside lighting and post on here. We will all love it! 

ATB, 

Richard 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

That’s the interesting bit. I thought the fun lay in buying and running trains, because that’s what railway modelling was, I thought. For years  I couldn’t work out what was missing and why I got bored with it all. Then I realised that the fun lay in researching and making my own stuff, not buying and opening boxes - although others do enjoy that and that is quite ok too! Find what you enjoy - and be prepared to be surprised by what you might enjoy! 

Edited by Irish Padre
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

The other thought is to join a local club. Most of the time you'll be standing around drinking tea and chatting about stuff, including model railways, but there will also be opportunities to get involved with bigger projects where you only contribute a small amount (holding bits of wood while they are cut can be the most useful task!) but reap the rewards of being part of a team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

The other thought is to join a local club. Most of the time you'll be standing around drinking tea and chatting about stuff, including model railways, but there will also be opportunities to get involved with bigger projects where you only contribute a small amount (holding bits of wood while they are cut can be the most useful task!) but reap the rewards of being part of a team.

I agree, although I’m not a member of a club!! But in my defence and perhaps to explain/help the OP, for years and years I considered my hobby a lonely and if I’m honest a rather nerdy sad one. As soon as I started posting pics on here, I discovered loads of like-minded people who responded, appreciated, encouraged, commented and otherwise kept me spurred on. Quite a few I now have the honour of calling them my friends. 
Speaking personally, I respond best when someone posts on whatever subject with enthusiasm and pride in what they are achieving, regardless of whether I may or may not consider I could do better. The issue I think is for the creator to have the courage to bare their wares as it were. And we all respond to one another’s enthusiasm with reciprocal enthusiasm. Hope at least some of that makes sense….

By the way, sadly some of the harshest critics can be those who are jealous but can’t show any evidence that they could actually do better. Brush it off…

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Then change scale. Realistically, none of us can compete with the quality of modern RTR. I have a fleet of kit-built shunters that I'm proud of, but are blown away by a Hornby Peckett in both looks and running quality. That's just how the hobby has changed over the years.

With my Garden Rail hat on, many people are happy with battery powered locos that can cost the price of a top-end OO wagon. They model and bodge all sorts of materials to make th stock for their line. Yes, there is laser-cutting and 3D printing, but just as many are sticking nail-art jewels on models to represent rivets.

Or, go for an unusual scale. Building a 3mm scale layout years ago freed me from the "Is it Bachmann?" question, and got me into a lot of shows.

There's a Blue Peter badge award... Nail art jewels as rivets? Love it! Won't see that in "the Modeller".

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tricky said:

What aspect would you say you are best at, or enjoy the most? If, for example, you critically consider a whole layout not up to scratch but enjoy building wagons, then build some, photograph on a display plank in outside lighting and post on here. We will all love it! 

ATB, 

Richard 

You cannot beat natural light, and if you take 30 seconds to compose the pic well, Wow, you can't believe that you made that!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 33C said:

There's a Blue Peter badge award... Nail art jewels as rivets? Love it! Won't see that in "the Modeller".

It's the sort of trick you find all the time in Garden Rail. Maybe time to dabble in a free trial of World of Railways Plus - https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/membership - I suspect you'd enjoy Engineering in Miniature on the same basis, and they are all included in the WoR+ deal.

A little preview from the Feb issue of Garden Rail:

Preview.jpg

Yes, a cardboard loco. And it looks brilliant once painted.

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2