RMweb

Crumble and custard

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

I like my puddings, seconds, sweets, desserts or afters, what ever you call them. One of my all time favorites is a fruit crumble with custard. Now when I was a lad, my mum and at school the crumble was placed in a bowl and the custard poured into the same bowl. At home that is how my wife or I serve it. 

WHY DO RESTAURANTS INSIST ON THE CRUMBLE BEING IN A SMALL DISH AND THE CUSTARD BEING IN A TINY JUG.  :ireful:  Now I can understand the custard in a jug so you can pour on the amount to your own taste BUT YOU CANNOT POUR IT ON WHEN THE SMALL DISH IS FULL OF CRUMBLE. :nono:  I object to having to eat nearly half my crumble without any custard on it just to make room in the small dish to put the custard in. :ireful:

COME GUYS A PORTION OF CRUMBLE IN A BOWL WITH ROOM TO POUR THE CUSTARD IS NOT TOO HARD TO ACHIEVE. :rtfm:

Mrs Horner (my primary school cook) would be turning in her grave if she was to know how they serve up crumble and custard. Her puddings were always a delight, and thankfully she taught my mum a few tricks when my mum worked in her kitchen. :sungum:

• Like 2

It's a sad indictment of the corrupt, selfish, me me me, nanny state we live in. Hopefully this travesty of justice will be addressed in the Brexit negotiations. Is this what Magna Carta  died for? I, for one, will be returning my Tufty Club badge if this matter is not corrected expediently.

Will you be setting up a fighting fund Clive?

Disgusted of Walney Island

Guy

• Like 3

You're obviously frequenting the wrong type of restaurants, Clive! My favourite restaurant serves generous portions of crumble in a decent-sized dish with loads of custard already on!

Edited by HSB

• RMweb Premium

You're obviously frequenting the wrong type of restaurants, Clive! My favourite restaurant serves generous portions of crumble in a decent-sized dish with loads of custard already on!

Howard you are very lucky, I suppose I live to close to London where they think it is cool to try to be trendy.

You need to go to Fillpots Garden Centre down Boxted Straight Road in Colchester on a Sunday when crumble is on the desert list. You get a full shepherd's pie sized dish full of crumble with a big jug of custard to pour on as you work your way through it. Quite a challenge after a Sunday Roast!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Whilst Crumble is the food of the Gods, Custard is the work of the Devil and should be banished from this world for eternity.

Ice Cream is for the deserving.

WOT??????

Now that would have poor Mrs Horner turning in her grave. Her custard was one to die for. Had you gone to Goldington Green Primary School your education on all matters concerning pudding would have been complete. :sungum:

I now believe what my fiends use to say about people form Sandy. :scared: :scared:

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

You need to go to Fillpots Garden Centre down Boxted Straight Road in Colchester on a Sunday when crumble is on the desert list. You get a full shepherd's pie sized dish full of crumble with a big jug of custard to pour on as you work your way through it. Quite a challenge after a Sunday Roast!

Hi Lloyd

Is there room to pour your custard before starting to tuck into the crumble? If not no matter how big the portion is it defeats the aim of crumble and custard.

And where would Over Cooked Dave put his ice cream, it would slide off the top.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Whilst Crumble is the food of the Gods, Custard is the work of the Devil and should be banished from this world for eternity.

I'm afraid I do not agree with you.  That is all.

Chris

• Like 6

Ice cream on crumble is acceptable only if there is no custard available.

As for the nonsense of serving crumble in a way which cannot immediately be drowned in custard, come the revolution anyone who advocates such an abomination will be first against the wall.

• Like 4

At least modern custard doesn't have a skin on it, like I grew up with. Dad liked the skin and I didn't, which worked fairly well, but there was still the constant danger that some of it would get onto my crumble. And I suppose with modern ideas of accurate product descriptions in food places, bits of rhubarb wouldn't be sneaked into apple crumble, which was my Mum's way of trying to get me over my hatred of the stuff (it never did)!

I grew up in a staunchly cold custard house. It had to be made early enough that it had cooled down before dinner time. When I discovered you could also have it hot, I decided I wasn't bothered which way it was served.

I must admit that I quite like ice cream on crumble, but not as much as custard. Both is quite good too!

• Like 2

I never cared much for crumble when at school, I looked forward to my weekly serving of chocolate sponge and green mint custard which is know just a distant memory. As for crumble, its just got to be in a bowl surrounded with thick creamy hot custard. It just doesn't work otherwise.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

At least modern custard doesn't have a skin on it, like I grew up with. Dad liked the skin and I didn't, which worked fairly well, but there was still the constant danger that some of it would get onto my crumble. And I suppose with modern ideas of accurate product descriptions in food places, bits of rhubarb wouldn't be sneaked into apple crumble, which was my Mum's way of trying to get me over my hatred of the stuff (it never did)!

I grew up in a staunchly cold custard house. It had to be made early enough that it had cooled down before dinner time. When I discovered you could also have it hot, I decided I wasn't bothered which way it was served.

I must admit that I quite like ice cream on crumble, but not as much as custard. Both is quite good too!

Hi John

My dad said that the best day in his life was when I left home, because he didn't have share the skin on the custard any more. We both liked it, my brother would have a hissyfit if he thought there was a remote chance of skin on his crumble.

I never cared much for crumble when at school, I looked forward to my weekly serving of chocolate sponge and green mint custard which is know just a distant memory. As for crumble, its just got to be in a bowl surrounded with thick creamy hot custard. It just doesn't work otherwise.

Green mint custard, sounds wonderful. Mrs Horner use to do a lovely pink custard with her strawberry jam sponge, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. As for her upside down pineapple pudding, I have come over all strange thinking about it. :swoon:

• Like 4

I have been in the presence of people who, when ordering crumble for pud and are asked "Custard, ice cream or cream?", reply "All three, please!"

However, for me it's custard, hot, and lots of it!  

At least modern custard doesn't have a skin on it, like I grew up with. Dad liked the skin and I didn't, which worked fairly well, but there was still the constant danger that some of it would get onto my crumble.

Another skin lover here.

It depends to some extent on the quality of the milk used and the rate at which the liquid cools down.

The thicker the better for my taste. For some long lost reason the skin was at one time known in our house as "The Trousers".

Part of SWMBO's education when she came to the UK was how to make both crumble and custard. I now get, alongside apple, all sorts of mixtures based on gooseberries, rhubarb and various types of currant.

While crumble has to be served with custard that other delight of the English country kitchen, namely summer pudding, has to be served with cream.

But that is another story.

Bernard

• Like 2

In my long ago childhood, all school puddings were served with thick lumpy custard - Bog Roll, Stiff Dick, Sahara Desert (sic), Wet Nellie and especially Flie Pie. It has got to be custard with crumble for me too.

• RMweb Gold

WOT??????

Now that would have poor Mrs Horner turning in her grave. Her custard was one to die for. Had you gone to Goldington Green Primary School your education on all matters concerning pudding would have been complete. :sungum:

School dinner ladies are responsible for.........Tapioca......today I think it's on the statute book as 'Child abuse'

I now believe what my fiends use to say about people form Sandy.  :scared:  :scared:

That we had spelling lessons whereas Bedford pupils didn't....... :mosking:

Custard is one of those pleasures that gains appreciation with maturity.

There may still be hope for you yet...