RMweb

Crumble and custard

Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Premium

Hi All

WHY DO RESTAURANTS INSIST ON THE CRUMBLE BEING IN A SMALL DISH AND THE CUSTARD BEING IN A TINY JUG.  :ireful:  Now I can understand the custard in a jug so you can pour on the amount to your own taste BUT YOU CANNOT POUR IT ON WHEN THE SMALL DISH IS FULL OF CRUMBLE. :nono:  I object to having to eat nearly half my crumble without any custard on it just to make room in the small dish to put the custard in. :ireful:

COME GUYS A PORTION OF CRUMBLE IN A BOWL WITH ROOM TO POUR THE CUSTARD IS NOT TOO HARD TO ACHIEVE. :rtfm:

Putting aside the choices of toppings for deserts , and more about the stupid ways items are served

in eateries these days then this web site should appeal to the more sane members here .

http://wewantplates.com/

Use the menu button top left and take a trip down a bewildering array of serving methods .

If some of these don't surprise you then you must have eaten there .

• RMweb Premium

Putting aside the choices of toppings for deserts , and more about the stupid ways items are served

in eateries these days then this web site should appeal to the more sane members here .

Use the menu button top left and take a trip down a bewildering array of serving methods .

They make my old army mess tins seem posh.

• RMweb Gold

We were staying in what was allegedly a nice hotel in Southampton. My wife had ordered apple crumble with custard for dessert. The waiter returned and said would she like ice cream or cream with her crumble as they had run out of custard. Her plaintive "how on earth can you run out of custard?" may have been heard by other diners!

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

We were staying in what was allegedly a nice hotel in Southampton. My wife had ordered apple crumble with custard for dessert. The waiter returned and said would she like ice cream or cream with her crumble as they had run out of custard. Her plaintive "how on earth can you run out of custard?" may have been heard by other diners!

What sort of nice hotel does not make it's own custard, it's not rocket science and only takes fractionally longer that making it from powder in a pan. 

• RMweb Gold

What sort of nice hotel does not make it's own custard, it's not rocket science and only takes fractionally longer that making it from powder in a pan. 

One that doesn't like to abuse its clientele ......where is it, sounds right up my street 

• Like 2

The sort that has the bells silenced on the microwave ovens!

Also

What does freshly baked in store really mean?

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Premium

It could be a lot worse. You could be presented with a small square of it on a plate, the custard drizzled in a pretty pattern alongside it, garnished with half a strawberry complete with leaves and the whole lot sprinkled with icing sugar.

The sort of place where they float some undersized square of puff pastry on a small bowl of factory stew dressed with green stuff and call it a pie. To be avoided at all costs.

Plates? You can't really describe anything solid enough to stay on a plate as custard!

• RMweb Gold

Plates? You can't really describe anything solid enough to stay on a plate as custard!

I've seen custards that could hang from a ceiling let alone stay on a plate.

We can get Ambrosia at our local supermarket - does this count?

Brian

Yes, because it is proper Devon custard. I can get Ambrosia here, but some stores have Belgian (!?!) custard instead and it is nowhere near as good.

Adrian

Hi John

. Mrs Horner use to do a lovely pink custard with her strawberry jam sponge, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. As for her upside down pineapple pudding, I have come over all strange thinking about it. :swoon:

OOOOOOOOOOOOH! Pink custard, on chocolate cornflake concrete!!

Now you've done it, eleven-fifteen and I've a severe attack of the munchies.

Wot about the ambrosia that is cold set custard and 'narners? (Wiv chocolate sprinkles, of course.

Doug

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

OOOOOOOOOOOOH! Pink custard, on chocolate cornflake concrete!!

Now you've done it, eleven-fifteen and I've a severe attack of the munchies.

Wot about the ambrosia that is cold set custard and 'narners? (Wiv chocolate sprinkles, of course.

Doug

You lot are just peverted

:no: