1940s GWR milk tanks livery help

Just to re ignite this topic, am I safe ground if I were to heavily weather the milk tanks on a layout set 1945/47?

By heavily weather I mean typical 1960s condition.

Milk takers were pooled by the MMB in 1942. I don't know for sure but I suspect regularly cleaning the outsides would have stopped around this time (if it had not already done so as a wartime economy measure). I think that mucky tanks in the mid-late 40s is entirely reasonable.

And if it does, how are tanks positioned for loading, given the board stating ' ENGINES must not pass this BOARD' ? .

I assume the tankers were propelled into the dairy by an engine at the rear, the same way wagons would be propelled into a goods shed

• RMweb Gold

And if it does, how are tanks positioned for loading, given the board stating ' ENGINES must not pass this BOARD' ? Having the loading sidings at a lower level than the dairy makes sense, as it reduces the amount of pumping required. That series of arches is curious; it's almost as though it was planned to have an overall roof.

Where was this dairy? I looked at the plan of Wooton Bassett in Clark Volume 1, but couldn't see anything obvious.

Thanks K, I was thinking along those lines.

In relation to the above, at Hemyock I am pretty certain other wagons were used between the loco and the tankers to negate the loco having to enter the diary. Once full the tankers returned under gravity to the station.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581

Milk takers were pooled by the MMB in 1942. I don't know for sure but I suspect regularly cleaning the outsides would have stopped around this time (if it had not already done so as a wartime economy measure). I think that mucky tanks in the mid-late 40s is entirely reasonable.

Here is a lovely sequence of trains passing through Taplow in 1947. The last train on the clip is a milk train and the assorted tankers are indeed sporting matching liveries of all-over dirt! :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

In relation to the above, at Hemyock I am pretty certain other wagons were used between the loco and the tankers to negate the loco having to enter the diary. Once full the tankers returned under gravity to the station.

There's a very nice colour photo of some filthy milk tanks being shunted in Peter Gray's  Steam on West Country branch lines.

• RMweb Gold

I cannot say whether Saltash traffic was conveyed by lorry in 1947 but it certainly went in rail tanks of the conventional kind by the 1950s/1960s. Despite what is said in a recent book, Saltash traffic was conveyed to and from Plymouth by local passenger and was added to the Penzance milk at Plymouth.

Chris

Lifton Cremary - the Ambrosia works - dispatched three 6-wheeled tankers daily, connecting with one of the afternoon/early evening milk trains bound for London.

Monday - Saturday working. In and out going traffic was to attached to a Plymouth bound train from Lifton. Sundays were a little different, being worked as a singular working: 45xx & a full brake.

post-7376-0-61840500-1535706447_thumb.jpg

This photo was taken in 1958 I think. It shows the Sunday working at Yelverton station, something I fully intend to replicate on Horrabridge!

Kind regards,

Nick.

Edited by Brinkly
  • Like 7

post-21098-0-45840900-1535746015.jpg

Thanks to Nick's post on milk trains, I had to try a tinplate version.  Hornby O tankers are not cheap and rarely in anything like good condition so I only have a couple but I do have a nice train of brown and grey milk vans so these stand in for the real thing.  One of the limitations of the scale!

However, a short train with a passenger brake off the recently arrived train from Paddington, gives the impression although Thomas had to be substituted for the regular tank engine!  Only in toy trains! :pardon:

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

Here is a lovely sequence of trains passing through Taplow in 1947. The last train on the clip is a milk train and the assorted tankers are indeed sporting matching liveries of all-over dirt! :Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMBbUheRxUY

Very useful video,

A shame one of the freight trains moved focus to the floor (though the track does look rather model like)

A good measure for coach livery’s post war, mostly in chocolate and cream rather than wartime brown